Possible to upgrade 3D woodland camo to make it the same as 3D LED spec?

tester88

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

I have seen a very good deal on a Maglite 3D Woodland Camouflage flashflight (approx 10 Euros!).
I'm not really interested in this flashlight 'as-is' and would prefer the 3D LED. The cheapest I can find the Maglite 3D LED is about 40 Euros though.

So I am wondering if I purchase this cheap 3D Woodland camo model is it at all possible to replace the incandescent light for a LED light so that it gets the same performance and specs as the 3D LED? (e.g will it achieve: 79hr battery life, 364m beam distance, and at least 131lumens?)

cheers

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lighthound has a drop in LED that is around 200 lumens. Not sure about the run time. I have a couple and they work well. A tight beam but a good distance. Not all that much different than my incandescent magcharger.

Not sure what might be available in Europe though. Perhaps look at the brand and see if it's available there.

tester88

Newly Enlightened
Normally everything is more expensive in EU compared to USA.

I've just ordered this Maglite for 10Euros (15 Delivered), at this price I couldn't resist. I kind of feel that they have made a mistake - maybe when it arrives it will be the AA version instead of the 3D! :) Their description states it requires 3 x D cell batteries which are not included though so I suppose it has to be correct.

maglite_3d_camo.jpg

I have also just ordered a Cree XP-G2 replacement bulb for about 15 Euros delivered.
cree_xp_g2.jpg

I was trying to find out how such a replacement would compare in terms of beam range and battery duration as in my original post - or whether it would just make more sense to buy the 3D LED straight up.

The seller of the LED replied to some of my questions with:
The runtime of 3D cells with this replacement LED is about 15hours.
The beam distance 'should be' about the same as Maglites 3D LED range (364m) because "they use a similar LED" although they wouldn't make such a claim of this distance and instead suggested a more modest 200m range.

They also suggested that the 3D LED achieves the 79hour battery duration as for the majority of the time it is outputting at a lower output. (I would have expected that if Maglite advertise x amount of Lumens and x amount of battery life, the battery life would be the amount of time with at least the stated lumen output.

I cannot prove or disprove any of these values, and figures. Although when it all arrives I will give a follow up reaction on what it is like.

IlluminatedOne

Newly Enlightened
I have one of those 220lumen 3-6d drop in which a bought a while ago for my 3D and 6D maglite i was certainly happy with it.

When i tested mine i found that it was very close to the lumen output they said it was, i don't remember any difference in brightness if i put it in the 3D or 6D but as its regulated it should have a fairly constant output only it should run longer in the 6D but 200odd lumens for hours it pretty nice to have.
It also throws a really nice far throwing beam it certainly outclassed my old 3D and 6D xenon in every way :).

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is how Maglite, and most other companies, get their runtimes. They base it on what they feel is a useable amount of light, not full brightness. Most will not make it plain what the brightness is at any specific time though. Some like Surefire, will give a good idea. Others will have it buried in the back of the manual that nobody bothers reading.

GunnarGG

Enlightened
@ tester88,

that is a great deal here in Europe.

Do you know if it's still availible?

If possible, could you PM me with a link?

tester88

Newly Enlightened
@ tester88,

that is a great deal here in Europe.

Do you know if it's still availible?

If possible, could you PM me with a link?

Sent. But as I mentioned, maybe you should wait to see if mine arrives and if it's the right one first :)

Richwouldnt

Enlightened
As far as battery life is concerned Maglite, like many other flashlight manufacturers these days, uses ANSI test standards. For battery life this is output drops to 10% of initial new battery reading in Lumens. Just like beam throw distance is calculated for a target brightness of .25 Lux IIRC. That is why many people say the practical beam range under average conditions is about 1/3 the factory claimed distance.