How to organize parts? What to do with flashlight boxes/packages?

Supernatural

Newly Enlightened
I ask because I'm cleaning up and I came across a couple of boxes I keep simply so I know what that extra o-ring or clip is for. Now I'm wondering if there is a better way to organize those few extra parts I have so I know for which specific light they belong.

Seems lights sold with box get extra value compared to lights sold without boxes, so do people actually buy just the empty box? Do they have some value or should I just garbage them?

Tmack

Flashlight Enthusiast
I always keep my boxes.

I have a bad for all my lights, and I keep them in holsters. I keep all the boxes, warranty cards, directions in my workshop just in case I decided to sell. It just makes the buyer aware you take care of your things. Which guy sounds like he took better care. In my bag I have individual plastic bags with extra orings, clips etc. I have 20 plus lights and I know what everything goes to so organization isn't a huge deal. They are all inside a eagtac pouch I was given.

Fs- tk75 with box, all extra orings, warranty card, and paperwork.

Or.

Fs- tk75 as is.

Shows up in bubble wrap lol ;)

Nothing wrong with that, but people are more inclined to buy from the guy with all original packaging.

I'd keep everything, just keep it out of the way.

Last edited:

Tmack

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not me. All wide open spaces over here!

7uqynaqa.jpg

Yup. As far as the eye can see. Lol and this is the "organized section" I'm not embarrassed to show. :p

Up All Night

Enlightened
Small Ziploc bags for clips & O-rings, sharpie to mark what lights they're for.
If you're determined to keep boxes and space is an issue, try the low profile storage containers that will slide under a bed. A 30"x15"x6" holds a considerable amount of boxes of all different sizes. Just stack them inside like a 3-D puzzle.

leaftye

Newly Enlightened
Small Ziploc bags for clips & O-rings, sharpie to mark what lights they're for.

I use a slight variation of that. Pill bags and small index cards. I like the index cards because it's easier for me to write a lot in small handwriting, plus it's easier to read since there's a solid white background under the writing. With spare parts, I'll often include the name of the vendor and SKU so it's easier to reorder more. It takes more time though.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought a pack of those thick,4 mil, small ziplock style bags from the major auction site. I try and put all the spare orings and such in them and label what light they go with. IF the light has a box, then that all goes in there. I have one cabinet in my closet FULL of light boxes. Then I use several of those craft organizing tray boxes to hold the misc random parts & repair stuff.

dss_777

Enlightened
I like the fishing tackle type boxes to keep small parts, and some batteries. The box with trays is good at keeping everything in one place, but inevitably, there's just not enough room for chargers and other things, so there's also stacking bins for the bulkier stuff.

Boxes can go in the attic, tops of closets, or other out of the way places, but I question the need for keeping them. I do keep some of them, but only because I delude myself into believing I might sell something some day. I never have, and probably never will, so I keep them long enough to feed my OCD, and eventually throw them out.

The worst boxes to part with are the iPhone boxes. They're just so solid and well made that it doesn't feel right to toss them. :sick2:

Tmack

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the tk75vn and X60vn's with their full cases. All lights should have them.

Supernatural

Newly Enlightened
I like the small index card idea. Think I'm going to go with that and some small pill bags. Never heard of pill bags before. I would of ended up using snack sized ziplock bags, which are still huge compared to an o-ring or clip, if leaftye didn't mention them. Thanks!