The Lupine Lounge

Captain Obvious

Newly Enlightened
Hello CandlePowerForums flashaholics!

I have a very hard time finding any info or pictures on the flashlights from Lupine.
So if you have any information, pictures, beamshots, reviews or whatever? Share it with the world :)

Captain Obvious

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the links guys but I thought it would be nice to gather information about those beautiful Lupine lights here on CandlePowerForums. We have tons of info alot of other brands but just not alot about this so if anyone has info, pictures, beamshots, collections, reviews or whatever about Lupine products. Share them with CPF right here :)

tonkem

Enlightened
There appears to be little interest in the Lupines, as a whole, on this forum. I appreciate them for what they are, a higher priced bike / flashlight / headlamp, etc. I own several and they are great, lightweight lights, that perform very well. I assume most do not like the fact that they have a proprietary battery for the flashlight, and are expensive. They are not truly custom and I guess most could see other lights that fit the bill better for less money. I personally like the fact that they are lighter and serve a dual purpose (using them for biking at night), versus the other lights that are available. I understand that there are ways to strap a non bike light to your bike, for the above mentioned purpose, but I prefer to use a bike light as a bike light, the Lupines just serve a double duty in that regard.

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the links guys but I thought it would be nice to gather information about those beautiful Lupine lights here on CandlePowerForums. We have tons of info alot of other brands but just not alot about this so if anyone has info, pictures, beamshots, collections, reviews or whatever about Lupine products. Share them with CPF right here :)

<clap clap> THEY SHALL BRING THE INFO TO ME!

Hey if you send me one, I'll discuss it all day long with you. All i want's a piko mini max, and i don't mind (gently) used.

chorlton

Newly Enlightened
I love German engineering but I just can't justify the cost of these lights!!!

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
my acutal MTB is insanely expensive, but it works really good, much better than my previuos bikes for about half, so there is a tiny bit of sense in the cost.

Lupine lights - the incan versions - were so much better than the rest of the breed, that one could argue about the higher cost
(like surefire, they had their bulb / reflector combos be made just for them. way better than something standard)

but the led models simply are not that much "better" than whatever else maker,
so cost <-> gain do not come together, not the slightest bit.

And that could be the reason there is not much talk about them at all
(check what maker/models are mentionned often ... there is a reason for that)

if you can read german, you could make yourself fun by reading in the lupine forum directly,
stubborn, short minded Lupine evangelists not even able to reflect actual facts ... (f.e. when there are technical data released showing something and then discussed)
:rolleyes:
I really like to browse there from time to time

bulbmogul

Enlightened
I will have to admit i am a Lupineaholic and would own nothing else myself. You can always find a reason to slam something you would never buy anyways. Those whom run it down would never buy one or can not afford to buy one.

Captain Obvious

Newly Enlightened
I just really wonder what the Lupine LED lights do what other ones don't...
It cant be sheer lumens in a smaller package because I can get a Niteye Eye40vn with 7000 lumens and have enough to spare for a tk75vn and a pd35vn to add.... Which is some serious quality, power and versatility !

I'd love to own a Lupine but just finding a hard time to find reasons to spend €750 on a LED light (talking about the Betty TL2 mainly).

Maybe you can convince me Bulbmogul, but don't just say "it's very well made" cuz Fenix, Nitecore, Niteye, Surefire and Led Lenser are very very decently made aswel! :)

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
@ Captain Obvious:
would own nothing else myself.
--> the typical case of someone who CAN NOT give You any (useful) advice, because of lacking the info ...
believe it, or believe not ...
:)

an then the typical mentionnig of "can not afford to buy one" ...
:rolleyes:
thats their last line of defense, when everything else has fallen

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
If someone wouldn't value any step up in craftsmanship beyond that of a led lenser, and was already familiar with the lumens:size, specs etc. of lupine's catalog vs. familiar alternatives, I have to wonder in what capacity could they possibly imagine reasons existing that would convince them to spend that much more over the price of what they already consider to be a point of limiting returns in terms of quality and performance?

Ultimately lupines, like many premium products, just aren't right for many people's budgets. I'm one of them... but I would also feel like a massive troll if I asked someone else to justify their own reasoning for buying one, and demand they do so only terms that apply to my own values & budget.

:(

bulbmogul

Enlightened
I just really wonder what the Lupine LED lights do what other ones don't...
It cant be sheer lumens in a smaller package because I can get a Niteye Eye40vn with 7000 lumens and have enough to spare for a tk75vn and a pd35vn to add.... Which is some serious quality, power and versatility !

I'd love to own a Lupine but just finding a hard time to find reasons to spend €750 on a LED light (talking about the Betty TL2 mainly).

Maybe you can convince me Bulbmogul, but don't just say "it's very well made" cuz Fenix, Nitecore, Niteye, Surefire and Led Lenser are very very decently made aswel! :)
Some one else is buying them for all these years or I dont think they would still be in the business. Yes ofcoarse i can not explain why one is better then another, however i happen to fall in the lupine camp and quite happy.

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ultimately lupines, like many premium products, just aren't right for many people's budgets. I'm one of them... but I would also feel like a massive troll if I asked someone else to justify their own reasoning for buying one, and demand they do so only terms that apply to my own values & budget.

I think sometimes people throw out the "troll" label far too quickly. If you say "everyone who buy these products is an idiot, because they don't offer anything that my lights don't", we can agree that is trolling. No question about it. But if someone is ASKING for more information, maybe they just want to benefit from the experience of others...I don't see any reason to assume that is trolling in any way, shape, or form. How else are we supposed to learn? Not like everyone is able to drop several hundred dollars on a light, just to see if maybe they can find a reason to like it.

I have to say, though, it seems bulbmogul is helping to support yellow's point...if he can't say ANYTHING about why he prefers them to others (quantitative or qualitative), it does make me wonder.

Edit: Re-read Captain Obvious' post, and yeah, telling someone else they can't say it is very well made is problematic. If you are asking for opinions, but then telling people what you do or don't want to hear, you aren't approaching it in the right way.

Last edited:

cloggy

Newly Enlightened
I have a MiniMax which I regard as worth every penny but its all subjective- if it were not then we would all drive Fords.
I also have a WiseLED, hugely expensive but the Rolls Royce of flashlights.
I suspect a slight US bias in this forum- hardly surprising as that's where its based but it would explain the lack of coverage
of European lights. That however is changing with the remorseless march of the Chinese lights.
Frankly I wish us Brits were as proud of our manufacturing industry, that's probably why we have little of it left.
Incidentally the Wenger Swiss Army Knife Leather Pouch (for 7+ layers) fits the MiniMax perfectly.

Captain Obvious

Newly Enlightened
I think sometimes people throw out the "troll" label far too quickly. If you say "everyone who buy these products is an idiot, because they don't offer anything that my lights don't", we can agree that is trolling. No question about it. But if someone is ASKING for more information, maybe they just want to benefit from the experience of others...I don't see any reason to assume that is trolling in any way, shape, or form. How else are we supposed to learn? Not like everyone is able to drop several hundred dollars on a light, just to see if maybe they can find a reason to like it.

I have to say, though, it seems bulbmogul is helping to support yellow's point...if he can't say ANYTHING about why he prefers them to others (quantitative or qualitative), it does make me wonder.

Edit: Re-read Captain Obvious' post, and yeah, telling someone else they can't say it is very well made is problematic. If you are asking for opinions, but then telling people what you do or don't want to hear, you aren't approaching it in the right way.

That part indeed might not have been the best thing to say when asking this question. My intent was indeed what you described in your post before the edit. I'd actually love to buy a Lupine if only I could find a way to spend double or near triple the amount of money. Does it have special features, parts or anything more premium over a Fenix type of light that make the light better to have.

Weird example but I have all apple computers at home because I have a lot of reasons to like it over Windows so just looking for reasons to want a Lupine over others.

Not trying to troll, if some people think I did then sorry, it was not my intention! O:

tcglog

Newly Enlightened
That part indeed might not have been the best thing to say when asking this question. My intent was indeed what you described in your post before the edit. I'd actually love to buy a Lupine if only I could find a way to spend double or near triple the amount of money. Does it have special features, parts or anything more premium over a Fenix type of light that make the light better to have.

Weird example but I have all apple computers at home because I have a lot of reasons to like it over Windows so just looking for reasons to want a Lupine over others.

Not trying to troll, if some people think I did then sorry, it was not my intention! O:

[offtopic]

Hi Captain Obvious,

As you seem to have both the TK75 and Led Lenser M17R can you tell me if the focused hotspot on the M17R is as bright as the hotspot on TK75?

Thanks!

[/offtopic]