Help with Up gradeing a SF E2 series

Leithan

Newly Enlightened
I'm trying to up grade my E2 series SF. I'm wondering if I use something like a SureFire E to C Adapter and a Z44 bezel I could then use something like a Malkoff M61 SHO drop in? I would be using RCR 123s. It looks like it will work, I just want to make sure before ordering the parts. Also will the standard switch boot fit the E series switch? I wouldn't mind having a gitd switch boot to make it easier to locate on the night stand.
Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

scout24

Flashaholic
I've not tried the GITD boot, but another option for you would be a VME head and lens for your Malkoff dropin of choice. A bit more svelte than a Z44 on an E2e tube, and no adapter needed. I believe Malkoff sells the vme heads as well as the dropins. Good luck, and Welcome!

scout24

Flashaholic
A big +1 to Mr.Freeze's Tana suggestion: I've done more than a couple lights with his mods, they are excellent.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tons of options, you are on the right track to some lego SF fun! Here are a few random thoughts from me. At work, so I don't have time to proof read it. Bare with me. lol

Just some FYI on the GITD boot. If you want to do that, it is rather easy. But most have to have the inside "pip" trimmed. I do it with a razor. Then I use a small file to rub it down to get it to the right pressure I like. GITD looks good. I prefer the more Blue switches. They don't glow as bright, but sure look cool on the E2E. I have one of every color trimmed down to fit my lego E series lights.

While you are in there, change out the switch to a mcclicky switch.

I also added a cool Tail standing shroud. Copper tail looks so slick especially if you can get a copper bezel for that Z44. Talk about a cool looking rig! Next thing for me is a Z44 bezel that has room for trits.

Oh, how about changing out the pocket clip for a longer one?

Anyways, good luck.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lumens Factory sells both incandescent and LED dropins for the E-series lights. The LEDs are also available as a turbo head replacement. All of the incandescent drop-ins are designed for RCR123 use. The LEDs can use either regular CR123s or RCR123s. They use the Cree XP-G R5 module in either neutral white or 90 CRI white. They use the Lumens Factory standard driver of 5%-30%-100% of 370 off-the-die lumens (350 for the 90 CRI), with memory. I have the same setup in my Seraph 6, and really like it. The prices seem reasonable too: under US$15 for the incandescents, US$30 for the LED drop-ins, and US$55 for the mini-turbo head/LED replacement.

herbicide

Newly Enlightened
Here's a couple of pics of some of the Incan and LED lamps -

5RV9lzL.jpg

[ E2 head - IMR-E2 - HO-E2R - 3-mode dropin and head. ]

j7qegf4.jpg

[ Top: IMR-E2 - Bottom: 3-mode LED ]

Last edited:

Leithan

Newly Enlightened
Wow, thank you guys, I have a 2 way pocket clip and the shrouded style switch on the way right now. I appreciate all the help and suggestions. Some one should made a sticky with all the compatible parts for the different Surefire series, all of the different nomenclatures and model numbers is confusing when trying to figure out what will fit on what.

Baten

Newly Enlightened
I have E1, E2D, G2, 6P, M3, Z2 definitely in need of mods and just some lego parts. I have been looking for a while just need to make a move forward. this is very addicting!!!

archimedes

Flashaholic
Last edited:

Leithan

Newly Enlightened
Although not really organized, there are lots of ideas and examples in this thread ...

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/170804

This is also a helpful post, from AoW ...

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...urefire-Lego&p=3547334&viewfull=1#post3547334
The Lego Surefire thread was what inspired me to upgrade. I was originally just going to sell off some lights to finance a new EDC light. I really like the ergos of my E2 and it's been a constant companion for a while, I figured I would try the upgrade route first before trading it in.