"Gold" Mini Maglite questions

B_wagner

Newly Enlightened
I nabbed this at a yard sale. Couldn't find much information on it online as to what it really is. Can you help me identify it?

StarHalo

Flashaholic
If you can find something indicating your light came from Sharper Image, it might be an actual 18K gold plated model. But there were at least two different "gold" anodized finishes offered by Mag, those aren't notably valuable or rare.

B_wagner

Newly Enlightened
If you can find something indicating your light came from Sharper Image, it might be an actual 18K gold plated model. But there were at least two different "gold" anodized finishes offered by Mag, those aren't notably valuable or rare.

I couldn't find anything on the light or instruction leaf about it being from Sharper Image. Thanks for the help. Btw, do you know if it's worth anything?

MidnightDistortions

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think anyone could paint any Maglite gold if they wanted to, kinda funny thinking about it considering i always wanted a silver 2D Mag but never could find one.

Last edited:

StarHalo

Flashaholic
I think anyone could paint any Maglite gold if they wanted to, kinda funny thinking about it considering i always wanted a silver 2D Mag but never could find one.

You can take any flashlight to a powdercoat or anodizing shop and choose your color(s), there are also gold-plating services. And I got my silver 2D at Home Depot:

idQ5CgfwbiKIp.jpg

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast

After magnifying the image, the warranty card lists a repair replacement cost of $2.00, so I doubt that the light is gold plated.

I had a set of Penn International reels re-anodized last spring. If it weren't for the sentimental value, it was cheaper to sell and purchase two new reels. Very labor intensive to polish the body to remove dings and scratches and still keep the original lines.

fonaryk

Newly Enlightened
Pray tell, ell, what is that red doohickey on the end of your mag? Beacon?

You can take any flashlight to a powdercoat or anodizing shop and choose your color(s), there are also gold-plating services. And I got my silver 2D at Home Depot:

idQ5CgfwbiKIp.jpg

StarHalo

Flashaholic
it was cheaper to sell and purchase two new reels. Very labor intensive to polish the body to remove dings and scratches and still keep the original lines.

Correct, so if you get something done, it'd better be good..

ika7Xu9iTvMPx.jpg

Pray tell, ell, what is that red doohickey on the end of your mag? Beacon?

A Glo-Toob Flash-Cap; review is here, though the images are missing. All flashlights should have a taillight..

Ggmesquita

Newly Enlightened
I nabbed this at a yard sale. Couldn't find much information on it online as to what it really is. Can you help me identify it?

Lucky you! That's a gold plated minimag indeed. I have one and I can tell both by the velvet case and pouch and by the high luster shine near the head. The anodized ones are not as shiny. not even close. :twothumbs congrats!!

EDIT: Ow, and it is very easy for you to tell too, the gold plated ones are made of brass, so the are MUCH heavier than the anodized ones.

Last edited: