Fenix TK75 vs. Surefire PX3 in zero degree temps.

lightrookie

Newly Enlightened
As everyone may have guessed from my username I'm new to this forum and trying to gain as much info. on a nice light purchase before forking over the change. My question is I'm cotemplating the two lights mentioned in the title (Fenix TK75 and the Surefire PX3 Fury) and can't seem to find info. on the specific performance in certain weather conditions. I really like what I've seen out of the TK75 as far as illumination output and I know this isn't exactly an apples to apples comparison but I just need to know what your guys experience or advice is on choosing these two based on their battery configurations. My brother has the surefire and loves the fact that it's not the expensive rechargeables and told me he'd question whether or not a 3600 mAh rechargeable would perform as advertised in zero degree weather. He said it's just to convienient and much cheaper to carry an extra set of CR123 batteries and swap them out when your first set dies.

I'd really like to go with the TK75 if I can get similiar performance out of 3600 mAh batteries in cold weather but honestly I'm on the fence. I don't need the 2900 lumens but it'd be awesome to have almost 3 times the output of the surefire unless it won't operate the same as the surefire.

Again I'm very new to this forum and this may sound like a dumb question just wanted to see what kind of feedback/guidance I could get before parting with >$200.

Thanks for reading,
Lightrookie

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Howdy lightrookie, and welcome to CPF!
Let me see if I can get you started right. You need to take a quick course in battery technology. Once you've done this, you'll have a MUCH better understanding of which light will fit your needs best. Here are two good resources that I recommend you spend some time reading:
http://batteryuniversity.com/
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...-Using-Li-ion-cells-in-LED-flashlights-safely

It's important for you to understand that lithium-ion rechargeable batteries, the kind used in the TK75, need special care and handling. They have a LOT of power packed into a little space, which is why we LOVE them here on CPF, but you need to know the simple precautions to take for their safe use.

The great thing about using those rechargeable batteries, is that once you've made the modest investment in the batteries and charger, you will always be able to leave the house with a fully charged light, ready for use, and you'll feel free to use your light as often as you like without worrying about having to buy more batteries. It's very liberating.

However, there are many other things to consider when purchasing a light, and you really should spend some time considering these other factors BEFORE you make a decision to spend that kind of money. There are MANY great lights available in the price range you're talking about, and they all have different features that might be better suited to your needs, so PLEASE, don't be in a hurry.

Generally, we first try to define what the light will be used for, this helps us narrow down the possibilities a bit. Then we start talking about size. Does it need to fit in your pocket, on your belt, etc? Then we begin thinking about the UI, the User Interface. Do you want the light to always come in the brightest mode, or would you rather have it start in the lowest mode? And how many levels are enough?

My EDC, Every Day Carry, light has 11 different light levels, from very dim, for using at night when my eyes are dark adapted, all the way up to 1000 lumens, for those times I really need to light up an area, and yet this light is small enough for me to carry in my front jeans pocket with me ALL THE TIME (Zebralight SC62).

It might be that you would be better off with two smaller lights rather than one big light. And don't forget the COLOR of the light. Not the color of the case, but the tint of the light coming out the front. These days you can often choose whether you want a cool white light, a neutral white light, or a warm white light.

Many people overlook a good headlight as something to consider, and there's a lot to be said for hands free lighting, letting you walk around a campsite and do things without holding onto a light.

Anyway, I just wanted to give you a few things to think about before you jump right in. I'm sure other members will give you some good thoughts about the relative merit between those two specific lights. Good luck, and have fun~

lightrookie

Newly Enlightened
By the way, I was just watching this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pPoYh1Nfo0&feature=youtu.be

and noticed one of Surefire's new lights is the PMX (at 7:47 in the video), which is a P3X with the ability to use two AA batteries as well as three CR123 batteries. Kind of neat.

LOTS of cool lights just coming out at the SHOT show this week!

Thanks a bunch Derek I appreciate the info. and guidance. I'm definitely gonna do some more research before buying. This site is awesome!