Single Battery LED Surefire

M.Link

Newly Enlightened
I have a LED Surefire, that has high and low, takes one CR123, and is black. I bought it used, and love the light, but I don't know what model it is, it just says "BACKUP" on it. I also have a A2 Aviator, that I love the finish on. Does, or did Surefire make a light, that is LED, takes one battery, preferably has high/low, and has the hard greenish finish and knurlling like the A2?

carrot

Flashaholic
I have a LED Surefire, that has high and low, takes one CR123, and is black. I bought it used, and love the light, but I don't know what model it is, it just says "BACKUP" on it. I also have a A2 Aviator, that I love the finish on. Does, or did Surefire make a light, that is LED, takes one battery, preferably has high/low, and has the hard greenish finish and knurlling like the A2?

The light you have is the E1B Backup.

The light you are looking for is probably the modern generation E1L. It is the knurled, somewhat less bright version of the EB1, which is the newer version of the E1B.

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast
In addition to carrot's mentioning of the E1L, there was also the excellent L1 (discontinued). The L1 was a 2-mode, single CR123 flashlight with SF's excellent two stage momentary switch.

M.Link

Newly Enlightened
Cool, I'll keep an eye out for one of them to pop up. Would I be dreaming of I tried to find somebody to trade me my A2 Aviator for either of those lights?

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool, I'll keep an eye out for one of them to pop up. Would I be dreaming of I tried to find somebody to trade me my A2 Aviator for either of those lights?

An A2 for an L1 might be possible. You could always try and post a Want to Trade offer over on CPF Markeplace. Personally, I'd only go for a 6th gen L1 (10/65 lumens white light). Here is a good thread discussing the various generations: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?151425-The-Surefire-L1-Evolution

Last edited:

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast

The E1L is hard anodized in "green" (natural) finish, has knurling, and has two modes - however, it comes on in low first, then goes to high after the second click, which is opposite of your Backup.

Depending on condition and what type of A2 you have, you could sell it and probably make enough money to buy a used Gen 6 L1 Lumamax. Only problem is, the L1s do not come up for sale that often. Also, the L1 does not have a click switch - it is momentary only. If you want the light to stay on, you have to tighten the tailcap. Some people like this, some don't.

Here's an option - if you like the output of the Backup, but just want a knurled body, you can usually find E1L bodies and tailcaps for sale for between $50-$70 online. Just put your backup head on the E1L body and you might be happy with that (even though the colors won't match).

carrot

Flashaholic
Here's an option - if you like the output of the Backup, but just want a knurled body, you can usually find E1L bodies and tailcaps for sale for between $50-$70 online. Just put your backup head on the E1L body and you might be happy with that (even though the colors won't match).

To go with that, there do exist black E1 bodies, but they are relatively rare.

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
To go with that, there do exist black E1 bodies, but they are relatively rare.

Yeah, I didn't even mention that because almost every black HA E1E I've seen has gone for $150+ online, and even upwards of $200 if they are new in box.