Triple mt-g2 light

Mr. Nobody

Enlightened
Does anyone currently make a triple mt-g2 light ? That would be a pretty bright light in a relatively small packege.

jonwkng

Flashlight Enthusiast
TN36MVn - TN36 modded by Vinh with 3x MT-G2. Pretty bright. Small package. :D

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone currently make a triple mt-g2 light ? That would be a pretty bright light in a relatively small packege.
Depends what you mean by small and bright.

Running 3 x leds at lowish current each should be more efficient than running a single led at highish current. But if you keep to the same physical sized host, you'll get less throw too.

If you want to run 3 leds each at highish current, then you'll get really short runtimes, or you'll need lots of big batteries.

Mr. Nobody

Enlightened
Depends what you mean by small and bright.

Running 3 x leds at lowish current each should be more efficient than running a single led at highish current. But if you keep to the same physical sized host, you'll get less throw too.

If you want to run 3 leds each at highish current, then you'll get really short runtimes, or you'll need lots of big batteries.

Short bursts, never ran for long periods. Max constant is about 5 min ±.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think you will need some batteries that can handle high amp draw too. Then some nice large heat sinks or forced air induction cooling or perhaps water cooled?? :twothumbs

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think you will need some batteries that can handle high amp draw too. Then some nice large heat sinks or forced air induction cooling or perhaps water cooled?? :twothumbs

Why are there no water cooled lights... good point. I know you need to be able to circulate the water, but maybe that could be done by body movement or something when walking with a light. Dunno just a though.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why are there no water cooled lights... good point. I know you need to be able to circulate the water, but maybe that could be done by body movement or something when walking with a light. Dunno just a though.

I suddenly have a vision of a flashlight built around a water jacket like those old WWI machine guns. When you run your light on high steam would come out. Eventually you'd have to refill your light.... haha!!

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
I suddenly have a vision of a flashlight built around a water jacket like those old WWI machine guns. When you run your light on high steam would come out. Eventually you'd have to refill your light.... haha!!

LOL yeah. Not that FourSevens is gone, but they are not as big as they were for a while it seems... I feel like if they made an xm18 using 18 mt-g2 emitters and water cooling they could shine a beam to the moon. Totally would need a backpack battery system which somehow includes a water pumps. Like a weird super-soaker/electric-flame-thrower combination.

Join me next week for another episode of: "flashlights" that will never happen!

--------------------------------------------

It's kind of nuts that lights like that x60m are starting to get close already to what that xm18 can do with literally 18 xm-l emitters.

Last edited:

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast

CUL8R

Enlightened

Thrunite tn36 3xmkr close enough?

TN36MVn - TN36 modded by Vinh with 3x MT-G2. Pretty bright. Small package. :D

My choice of all the lights suggested would be the TN36 which has 6800 ansi lumens with MKRs (or better yet the TN36vn)! I have the TN36vn with 8521/8025 lumens(measured at startup/30 secs). Great light and hard to beat if you want a wall of light!
The other TN36vn version (with MTG2s) output is 6720/6407 lumens.
the X60 with 3 MTG2s is rated by the manufacturer at 10000 lumens. If so, that must be led lumens. From all I've read about it so far, it seems like the ansi output must run considerably lower - maybe 25% lower, or approx 7500 lumens. The only documented test I've seen on this light so far is the X60vn with 8390/7881 lumens. So I'd have to believe the stock light has a lower output than that.
There will probably be more lights with 3 MTG2s and MKRs later this year. But expect at least one new led to be out very soon that can run lower power to obtain the same results, or run similar power with greater output.

Last edited:

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's kind of nuts that lights like that x60m are starting to get close already to what that xm18 can do with literally 18 xm-l emitters.
It is and it isn't.

Sure emitter technology is progressing, just think back 10 years ago what LED lights were like then vs now.

But it's also about how you want to wire them together.

There are plenty of car based led light bars you could adapt and run off of Li-ion batteries.

1 x li-ion will direct drive 3 XM-L2 leds for a short while. And get maybe 3000 lumens+

Something with 8 x 18650's isn't out of the question. Runtimes on max would be low, but better on lower settings and still loads of lumens.

That would be 24 LEDs in total and up to 24,000 lumens+

Heat would be your major issue, but just for fun you could build it without the need for any drivers at all.

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is and it isn't.

Sure emitter technology is progressing, just think back 10 years ago what LED lights were like then vs now.

But it's also about how you want to wire them together.

There are plenty of car based led light bars you could adapt and run off of Li-ion batteries.

1 x li-ion will direct drive 3 XM-L2 leds for a short while. And get maybe 3000 lumens+

Something with 8 x 18650's isn't out of the question. Runtimes on max would be low, but better on lower settings and still loads of lumens.

That would be 24 LEDs in total and up to 24,000 lumens+

Heat would be your major issue, but just for fun you could build it without the need for any drivers at all.

I'm talking about in a more or less portable form factor. The XM-18 uses 28 18650's if I remember right... A huge battery pack and the light is huge.

Even if that acebeam light is massive it's still way more hand-holdable than the xm-18. I'm also talking about real sustainable lights that you can carry around and that won't overheat. Sure in theory getting insane lumen numbers for small amounts of time is possible. The xm-18 needs air cooling to keep all that heat down.

Last edited: