Using i-phone for a flashlight

Stainz

Enlightened
I had a new replacement dishwasher 'professionally installed' by a big box store's 'plumbing' installer, who would have parts on his truck should they be needed, last night. When the installer started removing the old dw, he used an app on his 'smart' phone, despite my offering him my S-F Eb-1 Backup from my pocket or my Fenix PD-35 from my desk to illuminate the under sink area. He would reposition it - or answer it - every minute or two. I should have known he wasn't a plumber - he admitted that when he saw the supply valve leaking - and turned it off (I still have don't have a functional dishwasher!). My beef re the installation isn't relative - it's the widespread use of a communications device as an LED flashlight that gripes me. It's odd that such folk will criticize me for my 'expensive' flashlights, yet use an i6+ as a flashlight... which costs more than I've ever spent on a flashlight. I may be preaching to the choir... but not my wife - she uses her i5 for a flashlight!

Opinions?

Stainz

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
"Proper use of an iPhone for a flashlight," by more_vampires.

Step 1. Open the web browser app "Safari."
Step 2. Navigate to a flashlight sales site or ask for help on Candlepowerforums.com
Step 3. Order the flashlight online.
Step 4. Stop wasting the communications battery for something better handled by a dedicated device and receive increased performance.

:) My opinion, of course. :)

JPA261

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't worry, I am on the same boat and my wife would do the same thing until I bought her a streamlight microstream. She now carries that everywhere and hasnt used her phone since. I recently went back to my HDS flashlight after figuring out how to program it and far more superior to the iPhone light. It drains your battery a lot, especially if you need it for emergencies. I guess some people will not understand.

MidnightDistortions

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not exactly smart. I have a light on my phone too but well, i'm not going to use my only phone battery for a light. I don't even use my phone as an mp3 player.. i got a device strictly for that. I also have plenty of small flashlights that are, well designed for light of course, and you wonder why these folks never have a cellphone battery last longer than a year or 2.

darwin

Newly Enlightened
I've used mine before... usually to help locate one of the real flashlights - or if I KNEW that (shocking, I know) I didn't have a real light or two with me. I'm glad that they added both the LED and the software switch to use it as a light... Even if I don't use it. For some people, it's the best flashlight they've ever tried- and it's always with them. As they say: "The best [camera/flashlight/tool/whatever] in the world is the one you have with you."

Then again, I wish they'd remove the stupid "Phone" app from the iPhone 6. I pretty much only use mine as a music playing camera (see above re: "the camera you have with you."

hmmm... an HDS light with headphone jack and camera... problem solved!

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
LOL! Flashlight with headphone jack for those who love the sound of their PWM. :)

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cannot see the problem myself,you like a decent torch he prefers to use his phone. Although I carry an edc I still have the phone app and use it.

markr6

Flashaholic
My iPhone 6 light has a nice floody tint. Useful for when I don't have my flashlight. But I definitely prefer a torch. My phone is just a last option.

I like that it's not an app or hard to get to. Just swipe up from the bottom of the screen and there it is.

Stream

Enlightened
CPFers would often hear "why in the world would you carry a flashlight with you?" Now imagine how much more redundant EDCing a flashlight will seem to the average Joe or Sally now that they can say "why in the world would you carry a flashlight with you when there's an app for that?" lol

I guess there's something to the saying "The best [camera/flashlight/tool/whatever] in the world is the one you have with you" that darwin mentioned above. I'm sure some people carry cameras everywhere, but for me the cell phone camera is the only camera I will have handy whenever I need or feel like taking pictures or recording video. Similarly I can see the convenience factor for the average person when it comes to using the phone's camera LED as a flashlight, however, I can not fathom why a professional plumber or dishwasher installer would not carry a dedicated light and instead risk breaking his expensive iPhone.

Personally, I rarely use the LED on my phone as I will most often at the very least have a Nitecore Tube on my car keys, and / or an E05 in the small coin pocket of my jeans. Quite often I will even carry a PD35 clipped to the inside of my jeans pocket. The LED on my phone is roughly in the same neighborhood as my E05 in terms of brightness, but I don't find that it drains the battery of the phone anywhere near as much as some may think. So you should be perfectly able to use your phone as a flashlight every now and then and still have more than enough juice left to make phone calls. I find that turning off all or most background data for apps is a huge power saver, not to mention the data usage on your bill.

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
For your average person, the iPhone flashlight app is all they'll ever need - maybe 10-30 seconds of light while they look through their bag, car, or find their way to a light switch. Some of us are more prudent, and like to be ready for when a light is needed for more than 1 minute, or in the rain, or in the snow, or to see more than 5 yards ahead.

Kind of hard to use an iPhone flashlight app to "disorient" an attacker :crackup:

ScottJD

Newly Enlightened
I use my iPhone 6 for videos, and used to do the same with the 5S. But I never use the flash in the phone for lighting when doing videos, I have a separate light with 40 LEDs that I can change the color and tints called the Kick light by Rift labs.
But I have in the past used it for a flashlight sneaking into the bedroom late at night. I have the tube also but the keys rattle waking her up.
I would never use my iPhone for working on a car or doing electrical or plumbing, I would have a separate light for that.
I did recently get a ZebraLight SC52W L2 and was recently doing a video on dropping my toro deck and installing the plow and found that my Kick light was not charged, it's also a little big to get under the tractor in tight spots. I pulled out my SC52W and was delighted and surprised how good it worked and looked on video once I found the correct level of brightens. So now for those fast videos or pictures on the go I may not use the phone flash at all since I EDC my SC52W and it brings out the colors nice.

Scott

MidnightDistortions

Flashlight Enthusiast
CPFers would often hear "why in the world would you carry a flashlight with you?" Now imagine how much more redundant EDCing a flashlight will seem to the average Joe or Sally now that they can say "why in the world would you carry a flashlight with you when there's an app for that?" lol

Oh man i didn't even think about that. But yeah, guess pretty soon we'll be hearing folks asking that and just when you thought people would actually start carrying lights around they start carrying phones with lights. Haha..

but I don't find that it drains the battery of the phone anywhere near as much as some may think. So you should be perfectly able to use your phone as a flashlight every now and then and still have more than enough juice left to make phone calls. I find that turning off all or most background data for apps is a huge power saver, not to mention the data usage on your bill.

Yeah it most likely doesn't drain the battery much, i don't really rely on my phone's light to illuminate my path but in a pinch at least i know it's there if i ever need it. But in case of a drastic emergency i'd like the phone to be available for calling so i can still see while i'm using the phone. All these features they put in phones are nice but for me i prefer an actual flashlight and a music player. While these may not drain the battery much leaving the phone running and getting different notifications for facebook, weather and calls i prefer to leave it at that and that way i got that extra minute of talking or sending someone a text if i need it. I also keep a portable charger so in case the phone does need some power i can supply it with some AA batteries. The nice thing though of having a light on the phone is you can use it to check your nonfunctional light if it ever happens and then look for your secondary light if needed.

JerryM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have several SK 68 clones that I keep just to give away. I have given several away to repairmen. The seem to appreciate them. One was also a bicycle rider, and evidently rode at night. The next time I saw him he told me how he and a friend were amazed that they could see the mountains where they were riding. :) Glad they did not see a pair of Mtn Lion eyes looking back at them.:)
If folks would just carry a small light they would be surprised how often they would use it, if just to look into dark cabinets.

Jerry

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a new replacement dishwasher 'professionally installed' by a big box store's 'plumbing' installer, who would have parts on his truck should they be needed, last night. When the installer started removing the old dw, he used an app on his 'smart' phone, despite my offering him my S-F Eb-1 Backup from my pocket or my Fenix PD-35 from my desk to illuminate the under sink area. He would reposition it - or answer it - every minute or two. I should have known he wasn't a plumber - he admitted that when he saw the supply valve leaking - and turned it off (I still have don't have a functional dishwasher!). My beef re the installation isn't relative - it's the widespread use of a communications device as an LED flashlight that gripes me. It's odd that such folk will criticize me for my 'expensive' flashlights, yet use an i6+ as a flashlight... which costs more than I've ever spent on a flashlight. I may be preaching to the choir... but not my wife - she uses her i5 for a flashlight!

Opinions?

Stainz

1) For clarification did he specifically criticize you for the "expensive" light or was that more of a blanket statement?..... Just curious.

2) Men that have jobs that require lighting on a daily basis that use their phone instead are missing a chromosome.

3) I know it's a double standard, but chicks get a pass as they usually require dedicated flashlights less and an iPhone is a convenient and efficient way of providing occasional lighting. That, and they smell good.

Last edited:

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
:) You know you're on CPF when you read people talking about calling people on their flashlights. :)