selfBUILT HIGH Amps(120A) connector 12v using a VGA connector with 15 PIN? is enough?

realista

Enlightened
in my big project to build an high end CAR battery STARTER...... i'm arrived at a point i have to choose (a way to connect....)the connector for the 2 (cable) crocodille + and - to attach to a semideath car battery.
power passind would be 14,4v ( 4 lifepo in series 2 parallel) of a123 18650, for a total of 2,2A. at peak 60C burst is around 120A.

i know the best connector is the ANDERSON PLUC but it's pricey! and i can't understand why ....it's so expensive!
$(KGrHqRHJCQE-dQs2DQ5BPqVZoINyw~~60_35.JPG

so.... seeing a youtube video of a person who built a "pack" for an high power electric bike.... he SUGGESTED( and used) to use a classic VGA plug of 15PINs. like this
D-sub-Solder-font-b-Connector-b-font-male-font-b-15-b-font-font-b.jpg

ebay link is http://goo.gl/kUNXqg for a similar piece. ( of course i need to buy male and female )

COULD WORD WELL FOR YOU?
- do you think i need 1 pin for + pole (15pin)and 1 plug (15pin) for - pole?
- or i could solder both + and - for example at 8 pins the + and the remaining 7 pin to - ????

in my opinion...... these pins are not SO BAD..... they're not too fin and they are so much! so i can't imagine that it isn't enough to pass high amps current.......especially thinking that the SKYN EFFECT ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skin_effect ) of a cable....do promote me to use "more" pins.. instead a BIG ONE ( like in the anderson type.... am i wrong?)

in the anderson the OVERALL contact surface is also LOWER than the 15 pins with their overall DIAMETER SUMS!!

DIWdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually, only a tiny fraction of the surface of the pin makes contact. Good quality connectors like that have pins rated at 2-3A per pin, if a rating is even listed. If you buy a cheap piece of junk off flea-bay, what do you think you'll get?

Skin effect doesn't exist at DC. It's an AC phenomenon only.

People use big expensive connectors for a reason. Trust me, you haven't found a smarter way to do it that a whole industry hasn't figured out.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
where are you located?

I use those connectors, you have on 1st pic, at work, they are charging plug for a forklift. very specialized item thus expensive, try auto, or marine supply shops they may have something you can use for less.

Last edited:

realista

Enlightened
i didn't think that a pin can only handle max 3amp..... and with a GOOD QUALITY one. i thought they are almost the same quality..... :(
so...do you really think that using 15 pin for + and 15 pin for - is not enough to pass throught the right spike of energy ( 120A ) just for 2/3 seconds? it's just a a peak......whould they limit the passing energy?

DIWdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want to use 2 connector pairs, and all 15 pins of one for each direction, you can probably get away with it, if you get a decent connector. You'll probably never approach 120A anyway. You'd have to have a total system impedance of a few 10's of milliohms in order to achieve that.

thslw8jg

Enlightened
Check out NAPA auto parts for their version of the Anderson connector. It was less than 1/4 the cost of the Warn Anderson connector you show in the photo. I installed several of these for jump start connection points, front and rear winch connection points and a connection point for a 1000 watt inverter.

Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums

Epsilon

Enlightened
I've been in the RC boat world for a time and used 4mm gold banana like connectors for 60A applications. On the forum there were also large elector monster power boats, rocking 80V 200A loads (thats one motor, so that is used twice). They used larger gold connectors, 6mm IIRC, but maybe a little bigger. Boats are very demanding because the peak power is almost constantly used, good that watercooling is at hand :p.

At HobbyKing.com you can get bigger connectors (7mm for sure), which will do 150A easy. They are not that expensive (few bucks a pair).