OSRAM high power LEDs....

php_44

Enlightened
FYI - in case these have not been spotted yet....

OSRAM has some 1 Watt LEDs available in amber and yellow. They produce 15-24lm (depending on bin) for 400mA @ ~2.4V input. Efficiency is ~20lm/W. They are in a surface mount package with a metal heat slug on the bottom meant to be soldered to a circuit board. (Heat sink slug is electrically connected to cathode).

These are InGaAlP devices with a 120 degree lambertian output. The good news is that they are only $3.5US each or $2.80US each in multiples of 10 --- at Digikey!

Now if OSRAM can make Red, Orange, Green, Blue, & White LEDs at a similar price!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I'm going to try and get some to fool with....

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I got a package from Roithner Lasertechnik yesterday, and here are two of the LEDs from it:

roith1.jpg

The one on the left is red, part # EP2012-1SOR1, current 150mA
The one in the center is amber, part # EP2012-1SOA1, current 150mA
The one on the right is an ordinary 5mm diffused red, used here as a size reference.

I don't actually KNOW who makes these high-flux LEDs, but I'm pretty certain it isn't the big makers like Nichia, Cree, Toshiba, etc.

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've a feeling the Osram ones would take heat better since they are mean to be on a circuit board, not like the luxeon star, which comes in both circuit board (Star) variants and bare emitter variants.

php_44

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Nerd said:
I've a feeling the Osram ones would take heat better since they are mean to be on a circuit board, not like the luxeon star, which comes in both circuit board (Star) variants and bare emitter variants.

[/ QUOTE ]

OSRAM has produced a whole paper on thermal considerations for these new LEDs. They must be heatsinked using similar methods as for Luxeon LEDs. The junction temp of a Luxeon LED must be kept under 120 deg C, and the new OSRAM LEDs must be kept under 125 deg C.

The OSRAM paper on thermal management is excellent - give it a read at:
OSRAM LED Thermal management

Because these LEDs use similar semiconductors as the Luxeon parts - the laws of physics remain the same. If someone can come up with a light emitting device made of a very high temp ceramic, or a device that was nearly completely efficient and generated almost no heat - then we can start getting rid of heatsinks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
[ QUOTE ]
Marked said:
http://www.para.com.tw/e-product.htm
Looks like the enhanced power LED

[/ QUOTE ]
Thank you for the link! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Even the part numbers match up, as well as the LEDs themselves. So I know where these lamps came from. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
php_44, thanks for the link, I'm reading it as I type this. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

georges80

Flashlight Enthusiast
Had to order some bits from Digikey in a hurry and so I slipped in an order for some of the clear 1W ambers. Got them today (ordered Wed). Fired one up - to my eyes it's more red than amber - the picture shows it with about 150mA through it - brighter at 400mA, but I didn't want to run it that high while getting things setup for a picture - no heatsink yet.

Vf is about 2.1V at 400mA, the beam is wide angle and uniform.

Has nice wide strong tabs - Lumileds take note!

dragon.jpg

george.