TN36 vs Mini TN30, which would you choose?

gruntmedik

Newly Enlightened
I'm in the market for a new light, and these really have my attention. I realize there is a bit of difference in the price between the 2, but is the price worth the jump in visible output? Anyone here have both and care to comment on your favorite? I've read selfbuilt's reviews, but was really hoping for some outdoor shots comparing the 2. I have a TK75 on the way, if the vendor ever gets it shipped. Is it worth getting one of these to go with the TK75?

So, what is your choice, and why?

Ryp

Flashlight Enthusiast
Think about it in this way: Over twice the output for less than twice the price. I believe it is worth it.

ven

Flashaholic
Tough call for me,I don't own either but would like both ....why??? Well the tn30 is a bargain for a start,tn36 is like the king . Depending on use,what mode you would be most likely to use the most (output ) would help decide if I had to pick one.

If money is no object then the tn36vn , owning a tn30 and being impressed with the output will only make you think "wow imagine what the tn36vn would be like"

Just my thoughts,go for the daddy unless money is an issue or it's going to be a beater light.

KelDG

Newly Enlightened
You can get a decent idea oon YouTube type in tn30 vs tn36. Although they are floody the tn30 mini looks like it has a defined hotspot where the tn36 is just a "wall of light". Both seem ace. What I want to know is considering these both ruin on 4x18650 what output are their turbo modes output once their batteries are half discharged ( if that makes any sense; are the turbo modes just for a fresh set of batteries cos if they are , high "sustained" mode seem comparable between the two 1900 vs 2300 if I remember correctly)

kj2

Flashaholic
I would go for the TN36. Price on the TN30 Mini is great, but the output of the TN36, will blow your mind :D

gruntmedik

Newly Enlightened
I have the tn30 mini nw. i would buy the tn36

Any particular reason? Do you feel the mini is lacking?

The overwhelming consensus is to go with the 36. Now, CW or NW? I don't really know yet which I prefer as far as the warmness/coolness of the lights go. Only lights I have where I can really make an obvious comparison, are the M2X-UT Javelot, and the Fenix TK61. Are they a good representation of CW/NW?
[h=3][/h]

kj2

Flashaholic
Any particular reason? Do you feel the mini is lacking?

The overwhelming consensus is to go with the 36. Now, CW or NW? I don't really know yet which I prefer as far as the warmness/coolness of the lights go. Only lights I have where I can really make an obvious comparison, are the M2X-UT Javelot, and the Fenix TK61. Are they a good representation of CW/NW?
The M2X-UT not, because it's dedomed. The TK61 is CW, and my sample is quite white.

markr6

Flashaholic
Bump on this since the $100 price tag of the TN30 is appealing. But also interested in the Tn36 if it's REALLY worth the cost. Still think the UI sucks, but if I'm mostly using turbo, the instant access w/ double click is OK I guess.

wildcatter

Newly Enlightened
I've compared both and the TN30 is a WAY better light. the TN36 is too floody and too heavy!
This is why I am saving for the 36. I won't be using more than med. 90% of the time, but with the TN-32 already in my cave, I want the area light, if the TN-30 was as Floody I wouldn't waste my money. But thats just for the purpose I want it for.

Fluppeteer

Newly Enlightened
I also wanted a flooder, for portably lighting a room with an uplighter. A TN36UT lights the room better than my ceiling lights. (The MM15MB is smaller and does almost as well, but I have more trouble keeping it cool, since it has less heat sink and no fins to blow air over, so I slightly prefer the ThruNite.) The hot spot of a TN30 is about as bright as its big brother, but it's certainly less floody and has less output overall. High mode is lower, too. I'm confused about the "heavy" comment - the packaging is almost identical unless you per at the emitters. They're all out thrown by my EagleTac GX30L2DR (which has a trick diffusion ring for lighting an area), but there's no comparison in total output. I've not looked at the 2016 version of the TN30, but changes look incremental.

On colour, a lot of ceilings are off-white anyway, so cooler suits me. They're slightly brighter than the warm white versions, too.

My $.02: if you want the convenience of one flashlight, get the TN36. If you don't mind carrying more, you might get several TN30s for the same price. Hope that helps.

ven

Flashaholic
Wonder which mr gruntmedik went for, presume NW tn36. Since my comment i won a tn36vn which is CW , but mine does appear more neutral to me and compared to other neutral lights it is very similar!.

This is my go to light now, press hold for moonlight and tail stand for night time light. The heavy solid build inspires confidence ! and is very stable on its butt!
I like the UI and the double click to turbo if need a huge amount of light. It never fails to impress me out and about with, it can still reach well with the MKR's along with awesome flood. The UT version would be very tempting, more so in vinh form with an amazing 13,000 lm...........crazy stuff!! But i have my xhp70 fill in the k60vn and tk75vnQ70.......love that LED.