Does your partner have a flashlight/ EDC obsession?

Whiskers

Newly Enlightened
My wife has as good an EDC as my own and If there isn't anything I can find to upgrade or pad-out my own kit with I look at what I can buy for her. She has the usual flashlight, knife, multitool combo and a few personal extras including Mace and anything else remotely useful while living in modern day urban society. She seems to enjoy having this gear as much as I enjoy her having this gear although asking her to maintain it raises her eyebrows more that Botox. Maybe asking her to pop a battery in a charger once in a while is a step too far.

What does your other half carry and how much influence have you had in changing that lipstick in her bag to a folding knife with a serrated blade?

This question is mainly for the guys about their girls because any girl on this forum most likely has a guy who has more kit than ...

Last edited:

Grijon

Flashlight Enthusiast
I put a Fenix E99Ti on my wife's keychain and she enjoys that. She is open to carrying a partially-serrated knife with locking blade, but we haven't found one for her yet. We're also planning on getting her equipped with Mace but haven't even started that project yet. She's OK with me putting together a get-home bag for her car. She is qualified for carrying a pistol and we're planning on getting her a .22 for the range, but we both know that she is not going to use a firearm and as such will not be carrying one.

All maintenance is on me, which I'm happy with - I'm also happy with her carrying/having what I've described above (both current and planned).

Great idea for a thread!

ven

Flashaholic
In short yes,but by no means to my level,she has a convoy s8,i3 eos,tubevn and several lights for her kindle.

She loves my lights,more so vinhs with awesome output .............she asked about my x40 triple quad "that must be expensive" to the reply "no,$200 " ............the "yeh right" look said it all,but never asked further :laughing:

She is more a cool tint,but thats working with video lighting etc,likes warms to an extent and neutrals but cooler the better for her.

I tend to do the charging side,be it the TUBEvn or s8 etc,but make sure a PCB cell is in her light! Couple of times its been 3.3v when charged back up........But thats when it was left at the studio,soon as i see it or know its been used i top off the cell. Had some good use too,lots of use during the re-furb,checking wiring and in/above the roof........

She gets a lot of use like me at the caravan,be it reading or navigating awnings and caravan.............and of course outside.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Mrs. finds my obsession with flashlights and EDC gear.... weird... but she lets me do what I want. She's taken pictures of my pocket dumps so she can have a chuckle with her girlfriends (at my expense) but she also loves telling stories about how my EDC gear saved the day.

I gave her a Ti D25A for Xmas a couple of years ago, and she rolled her eyes at the time, but it's still one of the most often used gifts I've ever seen her use .... well, after an iPad Mini ;). But no, she does not have a flashlight or EDC obsession.

ahtoxa11

Newly Enlightened
The g/f doesn't carry any gear and always gently makes fun of me over mine. Granted, I don't carry a flashlight as part of my EDC [loud collective gasp], but I still geek out over my headlamps, and EDC gear such as knives and guns.

She doesn't own any flashlights either.

DellSuperman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine wont bother about my collection but she knows where to find a working flashlight when she needs one at home.
And whenever she goes overseas these days, i will pack my convoy S2 for her; used to nag but she enjoys it now cause it has helped her in 1 of her trip.

Vortus

Flashlight Enthusiast
She has more than I do, maybe always has. Since I retired, unless I'm going out for more than a few errands, two lights and two knives. One each on my keys and one each in my pocket. Aside from her own stuff, she has acquired some of my work gear. Key's ET D25A and Spydie dradonfly se. Purse ET T25mk2, Spydie Etched Spin, Leef PD, Leatherman (not sure which, she bought this one, and if you think I'm going into her purse to see... not happening) along with some mace. Car glove box Surefire G2, her 4D mag with breaker tail cap and Kiu strike bezel beside the seat. She has a few headlights for everything from reading to carrying things in late in the evening. Her bed stand light is her old mini mag with some nite-ize parts currently and a glow diffuser. Finally her ET T25 that is only used for looking at rocks with the UV module. Once in a while its a safe bet that I'll find some of our other lights somewhere in her Jeep. As far as care and upkeep... she isn't much on the cleaning and lubrication or sharpening. But battery care she does, some of anyway. Rotating the 18650's for fresh, leaving them for me to charge. But we do have a system for single lights and multi cell lights so the cells stay matched up and she helps keep it straight. For her AA lights, we have ours and hers Maha 808m's. To keep up with our AA's and D's (now not as much on the D's since retired) since it took so long to maintain D cells we got two. She maintains her own eneloops, not just the normal but her 4 sets of sparkle edition ones that are hers and hers alone. Hell hath no fury like a woman who finds a sparkle AA in the garage. Sparkle's are for her lights and her lights alone! She rarely really uses the knives beyond opening packages. But the lights, we have a small stash of rubber switch covers for assorted lights due to them wearing out and getting holes in them from use. Not from me, from her.

Berneck1

Enlightened
Yeah, mine doesn't care. I even gave up trying to maintain the batteries in her flashlights, etc. She's happy just using her iPhone light, which works just fine for her needs. We live in NYC and have only experienced one blackout in 10 years. She has a false sense of security because of it, even though some people only a few miles away have had it much worse due to Sandy.

While she may roll her eyes at new purchases I make, I know she also relies on the fact that if something goes wrong I've got it covered...

My son, however, loves anything new I get, which is fun....

Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums

Roger Sully

Flashlight Enthusiast
My wife doesn't care..She does appreciate that they're handy but no matter what light I sneak into her l purse I always find it on the dresser after a few days.

ven

Flashaholic
Vortus,:bow: thats a :cool: misses you have there!!

In a way i am happy mine is not too into her lights other wise her hand bag would be full of vinh!!! :laughing: there mine..............all mine!!!

Nicrod

Flashaholic
My girl and I have been together almost 4 years. I was the first boyfriend she had,
that was into flashlights and general EDC gear. Needless to say, she didn't understand it
at first. And thought I was Nuts!

Fast forward to now, she can't leave the house without her EDC, which consist of
her flashlight and knife. And her purse ofcourse, and whatever she keeps in there.

But her knife and flashlight NEVER go into her blackHole, that is her purse :nana:
They are always carried in her back pockets.

I gave her an HDS executive 140 Acme, flat tail. I put in a AW RCR123 which
she charges on her own :twothumbs
bought her a SOG Flash 1 in pink, but she would rather carry the 585 mini barrage

She most recently expressed a desire to have her own Rotary 170N and wants a nice Custom holster from Hogo, she knows and appreciates quality color rendition. She knows about HiCri!

How many of you Guys have Chics that know about HiCri?

I'm very proud of her! I think Ma would approve :D

So in short, yes my partner shares my Love for all things EDC.
But she also knows there's no way, we can afford for both of us to carry
$500 custom lights, and equally priced custom knives.

Last edited:

override666666

Newly Enlightened
Gave my gf an s20r, nitecore tube and a leatherman micra. Saved her *** a couple of times, now its in her bag always :)

MMD

Enlightened
My wife agrees with being prepared in general. I stocked her purse with a Maratac AAA, Leatherman Micra, Spyderco Salt Saver and a First Aid Kit. She is happy knowing it's there but it doesn't get used that much which is ok. She has used each of the EDC items a time or two when really needed. Like at a baseball game when a kid busted his head open and she had the proper first aid gear ready to go.

I got her a V11R which she used at home but now she carries it in her coat pocket. It is funny because I got myself a matching V11R and they both had cool white emitters. I modded mine with a neutral tint and she thought it was stupid and that I would break it. Now I noticed she is always grabbing mine, preferring the nice tint. Also from using my lights she unknowingly understands what features she likes. For example most of my lights tail stand and have low modes. She picked up one that did not tail stand and tried to stand it up for area lighting. I laughed and said "you've got good taste, here use this one".

The more they use them the more they are converted. I still do the maintenance and charging but hey, that's just more fun for me. I am glad she is open minded and is willing to try new things otherwise she would never realize the potential of mans inventions.

ven

Flashaholic
Dug out some pics of the bosses lights,on car keys the v54

Disclaimer----pics taken before meeting the handbag abyss ............

ven

Flashaholic
:cool: i took lots off her keys,it was like a prison wardens before :laughing: Told her it will knacker the steering lock:shakehead she even had the i3s eos on as well,i mean 2 edc car key lights(i like but a little ott,even for me ) :laughing:

She loves the TUBEvn ,nice and light/bright/simple UI

zipplet

Flashlight Enthusiast
My wife found out that I EDC flashlights shortly after we first met (way before we got married). I had them with me as we were travelling and she said something like "The hotel has lights in the room though...". The typical kind of "why?" comments.

By the time we got married she had accepted the fact I am interested in flashlights and EDC them. Sure she used to make fun of it, but since moving to Japan she agrees that it is a useful thing to do as during the big earthquake in 2011 there were power outages and shortages of flashlights/batteries. I don't EDC as many lights as some people here which might have made it easier for her to accept. However, it has become a little bit of a family joke on her side of the family!

Recently, she has started to borrow the lights on my desk - I always leave lights that wouldn't be dangerous and are simple for her to use on my desk. She always puts them back exactly where they came from, and informs me if she has managed to run a battery low :)

In return for this I recently snuck a pink Nitecore tube onto her keyring :devil: She is quite happy with it.

zipplet

Flashlight Enthusiast
My partner doesn't really care either way but she's warming up to the idea....slowly....:whistle:

I think this is a situation where you could sneak a nitecore tube or similar keyring light onto her keyring... ;)
I actually tried to get my wife to carry a better 1xAA light in her handbag for her own protection (power outage on the subway etc), I thought it would be accepted as she has so much in there already (have you ever seen a Japanese woman's handbag?) however she wasn't up to the idea yet.
It's situations like this that make me glad manufacturers are still improving keychain lights - and offer them in various colours to suit preference.