what is your best flashlight?

LighsCastle

Banned
Hi CPF,
Could please tell me your best flashlight and let us know the brand,model, lumen, mode,runtime and other features of the flashlights?It would help me to choose a flashlight for my brother.
brand:
model:
lumen:
mode:
runtime:
other features:
Thanks

Poppy

Flashaholic
You really should have posted in the "Recommend me a light for" subforum.

If there are fifty respondents you are likely to have fifty different light suggestions, because "best" light can have many different meanings. Heaviest, lightest, most expensive, best value (highest quality at lowest cost), most durable, wide floody beam, vs narrow focused (Thrower) beam, or floody with some throw beam, etc.

You need to narrow down, how much you want to spend, how far you want it to throw, what kind of batteries do you want it to run on, and the size, just for starters.

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
You really should have posted in the "Recommend me a light for" subforum.

If there are fifty respondents you are likely to have fifty different light suggestions, because "best" light can have many different meanings. Heaviest, lightest, most expensive, best value (highest quality at lowest cost), most durable, wide floody beam, vs narrow focused (Thrower) beam, or floody with some throw beam, etc.

You need to narrow down, how much you want to spend, how far you want it to throw, what kind of batteries do you want it to run on, and the size, just for starters.

Agreed. We could all throw out thirty different flashlight models in ten different categories, but we don't know what role you need this light to fulfill.

edited to add: what the heck:

brand: Surefire
model: E1B
lumen: 110/5
mode: 2 mode
runtime: 1.5 hrs/30 hrs
other features: bezel down clip - very easy to pocket carry

Last edited:

Berneck1

Enlightened
"Best" is very subjective. I have several flashlights that I could consider the best for different reasons. I think the biggest thing to know is how the light will be used.

That said, in my opinion the best light you can have is the one you will have with you at all times. For some it's no more than one of those button keychain lights. For others, it's an 18650 light or even larger. For me, the Eagletac D25a covers a lot of ground. It's very small, bright and has a relatively easy UI. In addition to AA batteries, it can take 14500 Li-ion batteries for higher performance in terms of lumen output.

Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
in fact, it is really easy:
no "brand" flashlight, or better:
no "ready made" light.

Why?
because every time the next "jump" in emitter technology "happens" (or when one learns that he/she likes another light color (tint), other level choice, other ..., better) that specific light instantly gets "bad"
(it is not really bad as it is still as good as before; but a new one is "better" then)

and therefore:
* flashlight "host" body (extreme price / quality range, as one wants)
* led insert ... suitable for that host
* led model ... chosen by tint, and beam / output wishes
* driver ... single level, multilevel, ....

imho You can not do worse than f.e. visit member nailbenders shop (www.customlites.com),
get a Solarforce 1 * 18650 flashlight host, one of the P60 led inserts, 2 * 18650 cell(s) and charger.
... or any offer of all the other ppl that that do comparable modular setups

and of course all the "the light You have with You when needed" posts are more than valid. :thumbs:
The superduper light at home (too big, too ugly, too heavy, too expensive, too ..., to have on the person) is of no use at all.
So maybe the good quality 1 * AA (able to be fed with Ni-Cad, Ni-Mh and Li-Ion, too) light could become the most "valuable" light to him.

Last edited:

Amelia

Enlightened
Best is relative to the intended use.

Having said that, I will now state that for ALMOST every purpose for which I use a light, there is one that stands out and really exceeds my expectations in all ways: the EagleTac MX25L3C, with Nichia 219 emitters. I love this light beyond all reason! It is not small enough to EDC, but it is reasonably sized and can be carried for long periods without tiring me out, something I can't say about its bigger brother the MX25L4C.

For a headlamp, it's got to be the Zebralight H600Fw.

For an EDC sized light, I still haven't found anything better than the Sunwayman V11R (NW Version).

If I only had those 3 lights, I wouldn't need any others.

Last edited:

racejeep1998

Newly Enlightened
I take my d25a everywhere so it is likely my favorite. So practical and small with good output.

1DaveN

Enlightened
My best is the Fenix PD35. I like it because of the compact size, the ability to use 18650 or 2xCR123 batteries, and the modes. I find the low mode great for indoors, while the higher modes are adequate for anything else I ever find myself doing. Here's a great review from Selfbuilt that includes the additional information you asked about (runtime, lumens, etc.)

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...-2xCR123A-RCR)-Review-BEAMSHOTS-RUNTIME-VIDEO

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm, IMO, best is the one with you and that on my edc is a PD35, with a E11 an LD02 as back up an loaners where needed.
Fancy enough for a fellow of my tastes and useful enough to cover my needs day to day.

Eagles1181

Newly Enlightened
At the risk of sounds like an echo, my best light is a PD35. I have a handful of other lights that live in camping/hunting gear bags, but my EDC is the Fenix.

Eagle

LeafSamurai

Enlightened
I have to say my EDC and best light is the PD35 yet again lol. I have a lot of lights (>10) and my first light, PD35, is still my favourite and best all-purpose light.

bbrins

Newly Enlightened
My "best" light is the Surefire 6P that I have been EDCing for nearly 3 years. There aren't many things I stick with for that long, before this one I was changing EDC lights about every 6 months. It has held up quite well to my abuse, it gets carried in my left front pocket with my car keys, gets dropped on a fairly regular basis, has been through the washing machine numerous times. The only thing that has ever gone wrong with it was a broken McClicky switch after dropping it from two stories up on a roof, five minutes later I was back in business. I also have several other lights in the same or similar configuration just waiting for this one to drop dead so they can get their chance.

brand: Surefire
model: 6P
lumen: High is about 500 lumens
mode: High - Medium - Low
runtime: Beats me, pretty long though.
other features: Oveready bored to accept 18650, McClicky switch, EDC+ X60L drop-in(neutral), stainless bezel ring

ven

Flashaholic
Tough question and maybe too late, I agree with poppy ,it's more a recommend than your best light as my best light is no good for your brother.(unless he can talk vinh round to making an x40 triple quad and you don't mind paying more than 10 x a pd35 costs.)

So I will play it safe with a great light imo,the Fenix pd35

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...0-Lm-powerful-compact-18650-flashlight-REVIEW

I have the 2014 version ,if it is more lumen than the original in the review....well I don't know. Sure selfbuilt measured it around 1000lm in his review ,but any single 18650 fed light won't hold turbo for long due to heat and lack of mass. So it steps down on this light.

I find the mode spacing pretty spot on for my uses and excellent UI

For something a bit more special then buy from vinh for a custom PD35vn

Triple,quad,de-dome ,various led options,current bump to around 1400lm dependent on what options chosen.

Solarforce wise I am liking the build of the p1d,quite a heft and solid feel over the other SF I have. Pick a drop in that may suit your brother,be it single or multi mode etc etc.
Pd35 and pd35vn quad xpl

P1d with a quad drop in from vinh

P1 with the quad and xpl v3 3 mode drop in

Depends on budget and how much you want to spend ,other option that seems to have a strong following would be the tn12

RWT1405

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have 3 Surefires, (2) - 6P's and a 9P, that I bought in 1995, and all 3 are still used, 20 years later. Today they all have Malkoffs in them. I'll let you guess which I think are best!

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi CPF,
Could please tell me your best flashlight

brand: MagLite
model: Mini 2aaa
lumen: 80
mode: single
runtime: 3hrs
other features: Tighten-for-off twist only, tail stands, spot-to-flood focus, 5" x .5" (.75" head), >3,000cd, made in USA, ez lifetime warranty.

For a fraction of the price of any "quality" light I've ever bought (or even their drop-in & tailcap etc. parts), the mini aaa has in one shot become my exclusive EDC for over the past year, as well as my go-to in & around the house general utility light. So small, so punchy especially for its size, I find it plenty bright for everything I need & not too blindingly so for anything either. Nice white tint, smooth beam profile (especially for a zoomable), and its traditional slightly larger head shape allows for increased throw especially for aaa, as well as quick & easy retrieval & orientation by feel from the pocket in the dark. Tighten-for-off twist only has resulted in zero accidental pocket activations in all this time, the longest I have ever carried one EDC exclusively. Can always immediately swap them out for a new one at Home Depot, Lowes, Walmart, Target etc. or at <$15, can always buy a new one, no big deal if lost.

For or the least amount of money, the mini 2aaa's unique feature set continues to work best for me, for everything.