Fenix UC35 vs PD35

rb765

Newly Enlightened
I am new to this forum and am in the process of replacing my two old duty lights. My old lights were the Streamlight Stinger and an Ultra Stinger. Since I left patrol, both lights have fallen to the wayside and I find myself using a couple Fenix AA powered lights that actually put out more light than the stinger. Since both rechargeable lights were stored, the batteries have declined in capacity to the point they both need to be replaced. Because of the cost of the batteries and the lack of output of these old lights (and lack of suitable upgrades for these old lights) I decided to just replace them with a new 960 lumen thrower. Now comes the hard part. Since I have had great luck with my Fenix lights, I decided to stick with them since the times that I have contacted their customer service, I have had great service. The problem is that I have a credit that I would like to use at a particular vendor, but only the PD35 is available, or should I just bite the bullet and get the UC35. Or, maybe get the PD now, and get the UC later? Here are the specifics:

PD35 is on sale for $49, but with tax, shipping and a $30 credit I have, it would come out to about $29 out the door.
UC35 with tax and shipping would be about $91.

So, is the UC35 worth the extra $60?

BTW, before I posted this, I searched for UC35 vs PD35 to see if there were any head to head comparison posts to help my decision, but did not find any.

Thanks everyone for your input on this decision.

Photon

Newly Enlightened
I have a PD35 and I love it. I don't see how the advantage of a built-in recharger justifies an extra $60.

$29 for a PD35 is unbeatable. Go for it.

ven

Flashaholic
I have a PD35 and I love it. I don't see how the advantage of a built-in recharger justifies an extra $60.

$29 for a PD35 is unbeatable. Go for it.

+1

I decided to go for the pd35 and love it too,so much i got a special quad made from vinh.

Its a great light,i paid £40 for it so close to $60,for $29..........wow great light given away,certainly not worth it when comparing to paying $91 !!!

I personally charge my cells on a charger with USB lights,agree its a convenience to have and now and then gets used.............not for $90 though ....personal opinion of course.

I understand why people get the uc35 with the advantage,i was tempted myself before the quad. It does add a little length too and i prefer the form of the pd35 over it(prefer the head design)again imo.

pd35 with my other work lights

rb765

Newly Enlightened
Thanks everyone. I went ahead and placed that order. With what I am saving, I am thinking about getting a 2 cell intelligent charger and extra battery to go with it so I always have a spare. The website that I am purchasing through is Dvor.com. I am not endorsing that site as this is my first time using it, but their sales are sometimes pretty good. Shipping is 9.95 fixed and they have been adding $10 to my account every birthday (so I have $30 since I have joined). i will post on how the whole thing goes when I get it. The website says there is a 2 week lead time, so I should get it by the end of June.

rb765

Newly Enlightened
I am taking a $30 risk, but hopefully will not have to fight to get it back. I used my Paypal card, so at least I have them backing me in case anything goes wrong. I have had great luck having Paypal get my money back from bad deals. The other part of my story is that I sold both my old lights with bad batteries on Ebay for $100. So even if I lose a bit on this deal, I can probably get one from a more reputable dealer and still break even.

rb765

Newly Enlightened
I checked on this order yesterday and was told that the light was sent to the warehouse earlier and I should have a tracking number by the end of the day. I contacted them today and they said it is in the warehouse and I should have a tracking number by the end of the day. I wonder what they will tell me tomorrow when I call again for my tracking number?

Xaios

Newly Enlightened
Probably that you'll receive a tracking number once they work the kinks out of time travel.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm hope you are not getting taken by a shady dealer. Anyways the PD35 in either original or 2014 variation are total flamethrowers that are built very well. I have almost this entire category of lights from the PD35 to the new Sunwayman P25C and the PD and UC35 are still best in class. You didnt lose out beam wise vs the UC35 the output and beam profile out of the two lights is virtually identical. The UC35 does have the advantage of better heat sinking with all that extra metal behind the reflector where the mini USB is. I never use the built in charger my Xtar VC4 charges to a higher voltage so I just see the UC35 as a PD35 with very very good heatsinking.

The PD35 also has a good high level to drop down to through its regulation lights like the Nitecore P12 do not. The PD really is not a thrower but does put out quite a wall of light youll love it. A d2/i2 charger and an extra 18650 is a very wise move. Hopefully youre taking advantage of the current great pricing of either Keeppower or Orbtronic 3400mah cells. Good luck!

chuckhov

Enlightened
Hi CelticCross74,

I saw in another post that you said that your XTAR VC4 terminates at 4.34v. - If so, it is defective and is harming your batteries.

Here are the Xtar specs for their VC4:

Termination Voltage: 4.20v +- 0.05V (Li-Ion)

Here is the reference:

http://www.xtardirect.com/products/xtar-vc4-charger

I not posting this to sound like a jerk, but I'm concerned that it's defective and could cause you some trouble.

Thank you,
-Chuck

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi CelticCross74,

I saw in another post that you said that your XTAR VC4 terminates at 4.34v. - If so, it is defective and is harming your batteries.

Here are the Xtar specs for their VC4:

Termination Voltage: 4.20v +- 0.05V (Li-Ion)

Here is the reference:

http://www.xtardirect.com/products/xtar-vc4-charger

I not posting this to sound like a jerk, but I'm concerned that it's defective and could cause you some trouble.

Thank you,
-Chuck
I knew it, and mentioned a warning about that.

I figured the battery gurus would weigh in eventually.

+1

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the concern. Its charging my Orbs to 4.34v and my Olights to 4.2v. I dont get it. Must be something with the protection circuit? Ive been a big believer in Orbs for awhile maybe Im throwing blind trust into it. Now Im concerned. Im just happy that I finally have a charger that charges my AA's to 1.5v. Will check with Sal...

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the concern. Its charging my Orbs to 4.34v and my Olights to 4.2v. I dont get it. Must be something with the protection circuit? Ive been a big believer in Orbs for awhile maybe Im throwing blind trust into it. Now Im concerned. Im just happy that I finally have a charger that charges my AA's to 1.5v. Will check with Sal...
I said, I thought you were smoking your Orbs when we talked about it.
Just didn't want a fellow Fenix fan to go down in flames, for reals lol.
Surprised no one else mentioned until now, I guessed maybe I was wrong afterwards and forgot.
Well, don't drop your Orbs!

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
It did it that one time. Im chalking it up to some fluke with the Orbs protection circuitry. Just got 4 new Orbs today and its taking them to 4.2v. There is a video on YT where dude takes an Olight 3400mah to 4.51v on a hobby charger now that is some scary S. Just ordered my first set of Keeppower 3400mah 18650's want to compare and contrast them with the Orbs

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
It had sounded to me as you were using it like that and just enjoying the brighter light as the byproduct gleefully.
Oh well, all's well that ends well.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
nope just letting it sit after thinking about it. Just letting it drop on its own. Will check with multi meter from time to time and struggle with the reality I may have gotten a bad Orb also why Im trying out some Keeppowers

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
nope just letting it sit after thinking about it. Just letting it drop on its own. Will check with multi meter from time to time and struggle with the reality I may have gotten a bad Orb also why Im trying out some Keeppowers
Going way O/T, but is it one of the ones you unwrapped?

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
nope. I unwrapped an Olight 3400mah cell thinking that the green Panasonic wrapper would be beneath but it wasnt. Just a plain blue wrapper was beneath nothing stamped on it just bare. So took the blue wrapper off and ended up with a bare can with one of those scannable prints on it. It still works and goes at 4.2V. So Idk if its real Panny or just a chance very good Chinese cell