what is the brightest 1 AA LED Torch out now?

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
With or without Li ion support?

Without, that would be the zebra light sc5

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, it's the Zebralight SC5/SC5w. 500+ lumens on a good AA rechargeable, such as an Eneloop. But you won't get that from an alkaline, or even a lithium primary, because the current drain is really high and only good NiMH rechargeables can handle it.

There are 14500 lithium-ion lights that do as well, but I don't think a 14500 is considered AA even though it's the same size.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Yeah a 14500 AA is a LOT more powerful, and allows a lot brighter light output, than an AA Nimh or primary lithium, etc....and regular AA (Alkaleaks) can barely handle anything.

Brightest can mean highest cd, or, lumens, so, you might want to narrow down if how far it throws or how much area close up it can light up at once, is more important.

Vinh's lights, and MBI for example, pretty much rule in this arena.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, it's the Zebralight SC5/SC5w. 500+ lumens on a good AA rechargeable, such as an Eneloop. But you won't get that from an alkaline, or even a lithium primary, because the current drain is really high and only good NiMH rechargeables can handle it.

There are 14500 lithium-ion lights that do as well, but I don't think a 14500 is considered AA even though it's the same size.

I did not realize that but your right! Tried a brand new alkaline when I read this and it comes on at high...for about 1/10 a second and drops down to the next lower level. Still very bright...but no high. Oh well.

Miracle

Enlightened
what is the difference between lux and lumens?

what is the brightest 1 X 14500 LED light in lumens?

Thanks

Berneck1

Enlightened
The Eagletac D25a puts out about 200 lumens. There may be brighter, but I don't think you can really get much more than that and not expect awful run times. Beware of lights claiming to be much brighter. I think Eagletac's stats are fairly reliable.

Btw, It does get to about 500 lumens with a 14500.

Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Last edited:

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Thrunite Neutron 2A V2 if 1x14500 - almost as bright as the EA11 (you'd need equipment to tell the difference on turbo), but FAR more efficient on the lower modes, and current regulated.

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
He has AAA (10440) that put out over 740 Lumen, so AA could do even more for example.

He's upped his game, sir. 740ish is for high CRI max blast (Option D.) He's pushing 1200ish on his bleeding edge in 10440x1 atm, afaik. IIRC, Jmpaul sphered a bunch of Vinh's stuff, the numbers were from him I think. In the larger AA/14500 size I'm certain Vinh can go harder than 1200ish in the coming year due to more thermal mass and the new XPL HI emitter.

Anyway, Vinh just barely got his hands on XPL HI, so guess it's going to be time to buy more lights soon.

Christmas will come early this year, I'm betting on it! :)

Santa: XHP70x3 k60vn 2015, XPL HIx12 M43vn, 10440x1 XPL HI @1400+lm (who knows?!?) copper Maratacvn, CQvn XPL @4,400+ lm! I've been a really good boy!

Last edited:

holygeez03

Enlightened
I remember hearing that the 2A V2 is essentially off the market while the manufacturer addresses malfunction issues... that may not be true and it may have been "corrected"... but I am at least waiting for V3.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Isn't that one known for flaky turbo?

Yes.... my Turbo has become flaky on a NiMh, although it's still about as bright as anything else (excl SC5) on 1xNiMh. Works fine on a 14500 though (and why I said "if 14500";)).

Note: you need IMRs for at this output level.

Last edited: