Streamlight Sidewinder Military Handheld vs Insight HX200?

itsonlyme

Newly Enlightened
Can someone help me to decide whether the Insight HX200 is any better or worse than my Streamlight Sidewinder?
Both are made in the USA, The Sidewinder is less brighter but takes AA Lithium batteries and has been approved by the military as for waterproof and drop testing according to MIL-STD.

The HX200 has many programmable light modes whish is very confusing...

The HX200 as I heard, is not made anymore by Insight.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/22...ith-batteries-3-cr123a-lithium-aluminum-black

Should I just buy the HX200 or should I stick with the Sidewinder?
In a room, the Sidewinder is bright enough, and even has an IR feature.

Thanks

Last edited:

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can someone help me to decide whether the Insight HX200 is any better or worse than my Streamlight Sidewinder?
Both are made in the USA, The Sidewinder is less brighter but takes AA Lithium batteries and has been approved by the military as for waterproof and drop testing according to MIL-STD.

The HX200 has many programmable light modes whish is very confusing...

The HX200 as I heard, is not made anymore by Insight.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/22...ith-batteries-3-cr123a-lithium-aluminum-black

Should I just buy the HX200 or should I stick with the Sidewinder?
In a room, the Sidewinder is bright enough, and even has an IR feature.

Thanks

Apples & Porcupines.

The product is noted a discontinued. The specs and runtimes are also horrible, not to mention the price.

The Sidewinder is a unique light an gives you flexibility in the AA format. My only complaint is the 1 year warranty.

Streamlight's military specific lights are all 1 year warranty as they are used under extreme conditions; per SL.

If you want a handheld 3 CR123 and can tolerate PWM on low modes. Check out the SL Protac HL 3 - $89.00

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
So would you say that the Sidewinder would be the winner compared to the Insight HX200?
In terms of lack of brightness on the Sidewinder, I can live with that.

1100 Lumens? That's a bit too much :)
http://www.streamlight.com/en-us/product/product.html?pid=301

Absolutely, I wasn't exaggerating the shortcomings of the linked HX200..... It would be a pure waste of batteries. 3 X CR123 for 2 hrs @ 200lumens? Thats nuts.

If you just have an itch and want to round out your Sidewinder with a handheld, I highly recomend the SL Polytac.

3 HRS @ 275 lumens of throw. Very nice spill ( a little ringy ) absolutely indestructible, waterproof, lifetime guarantee.

The only complaint is the PWM on low. I set mine for High only. $39 on Amazon....... IMO this has to be the most overlooked light on CPF.

itsonlyme

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the other light recommendations.
I just wanted to compare the Sidewinder vs the Insight HX200 only. Nothing else.
So you think the Sidewinder would be the best option as opposed to the Insight HX200?

Last edited:

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the other light recommendations.
I just wanted to compare the Sidewinder vs the Insight HX200 only. Nothing else.
So you think the Sidewinder would be the best option as opposed to the Insight HX200?

Absolutely.