HDS models and modes

Jharpphoto

Newly Enlightened
I'm just exploring the HDS line of lights so forgive my noob inquiries. I think I'm most interested in a rotary model but it seems as if there isn't a pocket clip that doesn't attach to the rotary control ( which looks to be undesirable). Someone chime in if there is a better pocket clip for the rotary. I guess the second model I like is the executive because it turns on to medium and there are a couple of pocket clips available. Doesn't the UI allow you to customize the output levels etc? Please help me spend $300 on a flashlight.

I found a HDS EDC Executive Custom 1 x CR123/1 x 16340 CREE XP-L 325 locally that I might pick up tomorrow. Is this the only emitter available for this light?

there is also a EDC tactical rotary available locally,
can someone explain the differences between the standard rotary and the tactical rotary? Can the tactical rotary be programed to perform like the standard rotary? Thanks in advance for your help.

recDNA

Flashaholic
There is a huge thread on these lights. I suggest you check it out. In the thread if you search the word "clip" there are some suggestions for the rotary other than the universal clip. I like the streamlight clip. The universal clip could also be put on the bezel for bezel up carry instead of on the rotary.

There is also a thread to pre-purchase a 4000k 325 XP-L if you prefer warmer tint. There is also a 200 lumen high CRI Nichia available on the HDS website. Some dealers still have the older 170 lumen nichia 219b hi cri led available to (at a discount). PM me for the name of the dealer if you like. We are not supposed to link to dealers in the forum.

There are great youtube videos explaining tactical interface, rotary interface, and clicky interface. Search HDS in youtube or Hogo. In a nutshell the tactical rotary has fewer steps of output but allows true forward clicky performance and direct access to strobe. You can also read about the UI in the HDS website. The tac model usually comes with a protruding button whereas the normal rotary comes with a flat button but you can do a custom build with whatever combo you like.

I urge you to check out the HDS thread. Good luck!

Jharpphoto

Newly Enlightened
so my next question is which model should I get

HDS EDC Executive clicky
or
HDS Systems EDC Tactical Rotary

recDNA

Flashaholic
I prefer the rotary but a lot of people prefer the clicky. For one thing the clicky has more clip options. It all depends whether you like the rotary format or you enjoy giving your thumb a workout. LOL There's no wrong answer here. You will likely enjoy either. Keep in mind you can actually use the rotary model as a clicky but there are more programmable modes in the normal rotary than the tactical rotary. It all depends what you like. There is a good chance you will end up buying 3 or more of them in the long run to figure out which you like best. Then you can sell the ones you don't like back to me for half price!

Jharpphoto

Newly Enlightened
I prefer the rotary but a lot of people prefer the clicky. For one thing the clicky has more clip options. It all depends whether you like the rotary format or you enjoy giving your thumb a workout. LOL There's no wrong answer here. You will likely enjoy either. Keep in mind you can actually use the rotary model as a clicky but there are more programmable modes in the normal rotary than the tactical rotary. It all depends what you like. There is a good chance you will end up buying 3 or more of them in the long run to figure out which you like best. Then you can sell the ones you don't like back to me for half price!

Sounds like sound advice

Parrot Quack

Flashlight Enthusiast
Being of a dense mind, I'm not sure of your above as to rotary model. If I wanted a little bitty beam light, I would recommend (which I have) a JETBeam RRT-0SE.

So I'm not leading you astray, what is it about the HDS product line that has your attention?

Well, if I were LE (which I'm not) and wanted to spend three hundred US dollars on lights (batteries not included), I'd look at the Nitecore EC4, the JETBeam RRT-0SE and a Nitecore D4 battery charger. Okay, that's not quite three hundred US so you now have a boatload leftover for rechargeable 18650 batteries and some RCR123A batteries with maybe enough left over for a dinner out. :D

Last edited:

recDNA

Flashaholic
Being of a dense mind, I'm not sure of your above as to rotary model. If I wanted a little bitty beam light, I would recommend (which I have) a JETBeam RRT-0SE.

So I'm not leading you astray, what is it about the HDS product line that has your attention?

Well, if I were LE (which I'm not) and wanted to spend three hundred US dollars on lights (batteries not included), I'd look at the Nitecore EC4, the JETBeam RRT-0SE and a Nitecore D4 battery charger. Okay, that's not quite three hundred US so you now have a boatload leftover for rechargeable 18650 batteries and some RCR123A batteries with maybe enough left over for a dinner out. :D
Any of those guaranteed for life?

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think there are enough others that can match HDSs warranty, customer service, and build quality..... but not many can match the versatility of his programmable UI.

That's what I paid for, and it was worth it, even at 3x the cost of my next most expensive light.

Parrot Quack

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is any company guaranteed to be around for the rest of your life? As to your question, nope as to having a lifetime warranty but that doesn't make a light that's three times as expensive and puts out one sixth the lumens, worth it. That's why I asked about motive.

Currently, I just finished upgrading our flashlights and all the fifteen flashlights that I purchased six years ago are working just fine but none of the flashlights that I purchased six years ago have kept up with technology. The television that we purchased three years ago, hasn't kept up with technology either.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And this is what HDS has to say on their warranty:

Warranty service on EDC UltimateTM and EDC BasicTM flashlights We sold the EDC Ultimate and EDC Basic product lines in May 2006 along with all of the tooling, spare parts and fixtures required to provide warranty repairs. We learned from our valued customers in 2007 that warranty service was no longer being provided for these products. We find this unacceptable.
Effective immediately, we will provide warranty service for the EDC Ultimate and EDC Basic flashlights. As we have no spare parts, tools or fixtures, we will replace flashlights we cannot fix with new flashlights. We will honor the light output and runtime specifications of the light exchanged. If your light must be exchanged and you would rather upgrade to one of our current models, we will provide you an $80 credit toward the purchase of any of our current models, including custom models.

The point, admittedly, not even HDS keeps their flashlight lines forever.

Just saying, personally, I have a flooder that I recently purchased and I love. I fully expect to be replacing it in a few years because lumens out the front will expectedly have improved by four times from 4k lm to 16k lm. The LEDs are already available to make my expectations a reality. Based on your thoughtful question, the point I'm trying to make is not a knock on the HDS product line but instead is a response to your question which is to point out that unless one is expecting to be buried with their light, five or six years down the road, is the customer really going take advantage of a lifetime warranty?

FWIW, a warranty is a bet between the manufacture and the customer. The manufacture is hoping the customer won't collect on the bet and the customer is hoping to collect on should the dice come up snake eyes.

Last edited:

nbp

Flashaholic
^^^ The OP asked for help understanding the different models, not a critique on Henry's pricing structure. If you want to harp on the price vs. the competition, start your own thread. Thank you.

Parrot Quack

Flashlight Enthusiast
^^^ The OP asked for help understanding the different models, not a critique on Henry's pricing structure. If you want to harp on the price vs. the competition, start your own thread. Thank you.

My apologies. I responded to the OP's question.

I'm just exploring the HDS line of lights so forgive my noob inquiries.

---snip---

Please help me spend $300 on a flashlight.

And I responded to a "put to me" question.

Any of those guaranteed for life?

I'm not trying to bag on anybody's lights.

Last edited:

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
I m not saying there is anything wrong with these other brands but I will only buy American if available and if it isn't available then China is the last on my list to buy from as I feel a need to not only support my own people who take pride in their work and guarantee that you are getting a top quality product. You pay for what you get and should get what you pay for.
On the issue at hand, I ve had several HDS lights, and though there are a few YouTube videos, they were no help plus you just can't make an informed decision unless you can have the goods in your hand.
The clip option on the clickie is nice, and it's simple but the rotary UI is my favorite with tactical being to top choice for me. I m not LE but at job as well as environment outside of work require good output, fast access, and I don't want to be messing around with figuring out what mode is going to come on.
For the clicky, the LE is a good option but I need more modes than what the clicky gives. Rotary is great, but not as simple to operate as the tactical. But then with the tactical you lose one mode as opposed to the rotaries 4 (someone correct me if I m wrong). Still with the high power the HDS Tactical is my primary choice

Imon

Enlightened
I think there are enough others that can match HDSs warranty, customer service, and build quality..... but not many can match the versatility of his programmable UI.

That's what I paid for, and it was worth it, even at 3x the cost of my next most expensive light.

Pretty much my feelings on the HDS lights.

My Clicky, being my EDC light, is my most used light and after recently acquiring the Fenix CL25R and putting it through its paces I remembered just how much I hated cycling through modes. Having to cycle through modes is the reason I dumped my Quark back in 08 as my EDC which had a billion different settings.

recDNA

Flashaholic
Is any company guaranteed to be around for the rest of your life? As to your question, nope as to having a lifetime warranty but that doesn't make a light that's three times as expensive and puts out one sixth the lumens, worth it. That's why I asked about motive.

Currently, I just finished upgrading our flashlights and all the fifteen flashlights that I purchased six years ago are working just fine but none of the flashlights that I purchased six years ago have kept up with technology. The television that we purchased three years ago, hasn't kept up with technology either.

And this is what HDS has to say on their warranty:

Warranty service on EDC UltimateTM and EDC BasicTM flashlights We sold the EDC Ultimate and EDC Basic product lines in May 2006 along with all of the tooling, spare parts and fixtures required to provide warranty repairs. We learned from our valued customers in 2007 that warranty service was no longer being provided for these products. We find this unacceptable.
Effective immediately, we will provide warranty service for the EDC Ultimate and EDC Basic flashlights. As we have no spare parts, tools or fixtures, we will replace flashlights we cannot fix with new flashlights. We will honor the light output and runtime specifications of the light exchanged. If your light must be exchanged and you would rather upgrade to one of our current models, we will provide you an $80 credit toward the purchase of any of our current models, including custom models.

The point, admittedly, not even HDS keeps their flashlight lines forever.

Just saying, personally, I have a flooder that I recently purchased and I love. I fully expect to be replacing it in a few years because lumens out the front will expectedly have improved by four times from 4k lm to 16k lm. The LEDs are already available to make my expectations a reality. Based on your thoughtful question, the point I'm trying to make is not a knock on the HDS product line but instead is a response to your question which is to point out that unless one is expecting to be buried with their light, five or six years down the road, is the customer really going take advantage of a lifetime warranty?

FWIW, a warranty is a bet between the manufacture and the customer. The manufacture is hoping the customer won't collect on the bet and the customer is hoping to collect on should the dice come up snake eyes.
I'm old so I like my chances.

I used to think Surefire and HDS were overpriced but I prefer to pay more for a light that will always work when I need it to. I haven't had as much luck with Chinese brands although I do like some for certain features (TC-R2) or greater output (Eagletac or Zebralight). To be fair though I have never paid the full HDS price with HDS shipping price. Dealers are less expensive and have cheaper delivery, usually free.

Last edited:

GearHunter

Enlightened
Clicky all the way for me. Owned a rotary for about 2 minutes before packaging it back up and returning it. I always know what level my clicky will turn on at because I programmed it. If a situation arises that I may need to change it ( perhaps to moonlight for an evening at the theatre reading programs in the dark) then I adjust it on the fly because I keep it in program mode.
The only way to confirm what level the rotary will come on at , other then press and hold for high is to check and confirm the dial location....not for me. When I want light I want it now, not after I check and see what level I'll be in.
I've carried my HDS clicky all day everyday for 5+ months and never once wished it was a rotary

recDNA

Flashaholic
You do realize you can use a rotary exactly like a clicky right? I like the option of either UI.

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Me as well. I tend to use full power or strobe most of the time or the signal strobe but it's nice to have the option of lower power without the programming :)