What Tint for....Suburbia?

dim

Enlightened
It appears that warm/neutral tints are all the rage. Clearly, in natural environments, the choice between warm and cool tints is a no brainer. Likewise, for urban environments the choice of a cool tint makes sense.

My very limited 2 day experience with the warm tint of a Nichia 219 from a L11C before it was gifted has me conflicted. Of course, outside, projected on manicured lawns, trimmed hedges and plants, it looked lovely. Likewise, at a friend's place with wood floors and and earth toned furnishings, the warm tone of the Nichia was considerably more pleasant than that of cooler tints...though I'm sure the high CRI contributed to the quality of the light.

In the garage, however, projected on concrete, drywall, steel and equipment, the warm tint was a distraction as it skewed colder colors and various shades of whites and grays orange. A cooler tinted Cree was needed to more accurately discern colors and to tell that the white wall was, indeed, white and not "WTF color is THAT?" Also, outdoors again, against the sidewalk and pavement, the warm tone, while it had its merits, was a distraction and not as effective at providing information about what the light was projected on than my cooler Cree.

Yes, generally speaking, warmer tints for foliage and cooler tints for concrete, steel and white walls. But what about for mixed environments? An EDC for general usage where one might find themselves in suburbia such as a dark corner of the house, a tree lined road and sidewalk, the back yard, etc.?

What tint would you suggest for suburbia and other mixed environments?

I'm considering a ZL SC5...though I may wait to see what new offerings become available this holiday season.

dim

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
I like 5000k which is kind of the cooler side of neutral,maybe look at that . I find it works well in pretty much all environments and does not make greens etc too artificial.. xp-g2 5000k or xp-l 5000k or mtg2 5000k as some examples

I have a quad xp-g2 5000k and i find it is superb, where as cooler 6000k+ can wash out close up depending on hot spot ,the 5000k keeps colours well represented .

There is the nichia 219b which apparently is a little cooler than the 219a.........maybe another option to look into.

I also like it a tad cooler still,5700k xp-l ,still get good rendition and find quite accurate to what i would see in day time. When i use the nichia 219,yes colours jump out,but for me they look too enhanced(personal opinion and obv subjective)
This pic i took shows some greens from 12x xp-l 5700k

Not best, but the pic is a pretty good representative of the actual colours i see.

dim

Enlightened
Thanx for the reply, ven.

Of course 5000K would seem like a good compromise...and, really, perhaps not a compromise at all as the 5000k-ish, vanillia-ish tone of my Fenix Luxeon R100 Premium is niiiice.... A big lottery winner.

But with the exception of Zebralight's SC5Fd which, with its reduced output/runtimes and frosted lens (why only "F" with their "d"), doesn't particularly interest me (or am I being too myopic), I'm, for now, mostly considering the SC5 and SC5w....or, again, wait for holiday offerings.

dim

Last edited:

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some of us actually prefer cooler whites for the outdoors. I do see and understand that warms and neutrals help to define details better, but I find I simply see the landscape better with cool white.

ven

Flashaholic
Some pics from the park with my little one, this is xp-l 5700k so cool side(my preference or anything from 5000k +)

I find the colour rendition spot on and very accurate to what i see in day time.

ven

Flashaholic
Thanks mr raven,only on my iphoney 6+,not a bad camera for catching colours,just no slow shutter speed for letting more light in like a proper camera.........still its convenient and better than nothing i guess :laughing:

:thumbsup:

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm terrible with manners and proper speech.

I hope you don't mind if I call you Ven?
As I have several times without thinking much on my behalf.
Ven,..Just call me War,.. Raven or WR etc please bud. ☺
Yes I've a odd moniker, clan game tag from fifteen years ago or so.

ven

Flashaholic
I'm terrible with manners and proper speech.

I hope you don't mind if I call you Ven?
As I have several times without thinking much on my behalf.
Ven,..Just call me War,.. Raven or WR etc please bud. ☺
Yes I've a odd moniker, clan game tag from fifteen years ago or so.

No probs war:cool: my name is actually ven!! well start of my surname so my friends call me ven:)

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
It appears that warm/neutral tints are all the rage. Clearly, in natural environments, the choice between warm and cool tints is a no brainer.
right ...
but You are wrong on the warm thing.
;)

the real no brainer is, that neutral is the tint to go.
--> at least (if not much better) the same color rendering than those dim "incan" warm white beams
--> about the same brightness than the cool whites

4.500-5.000 K is "better" in any setup

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
You might want to look into anything tinted 5000k to 5500k. I would particularly recommend the Luxeon T found in the older Zebralight D models. It's a nice 5000k whose whotspot is very neutral white. The 4500k nichia 219B in the L11c is a little tan in comparison.

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
What tint would you suggest for suburbia and other mixed environments?

I'm considering a ZL SC5...though I may wait to see what new offerings become available this holiday season.

The Zebralight SC5Fd may be exactly what you are looking for. I found this info on the Zebralight web page:

LED: Cree XM-L2 EasyWhite (Typical CRI: 83-85, Nominal CCT 5000K)