Question: regarding posting a Discover mag article

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
well, i've got a Discover magazine (May 2003) with an extremely interesting article in it..
however it's a bit long, it runs about 4 or 5 pages (including pictures) in the magazine itself.. the article is about an invention that can turn just about anything into oil..

anyways, i can't access the article thru the Discover magazine website (discover.com) as my subscription has run out..
would it be aright for me to type the full article out here in the Cafe to share with everyone?

or is this violating a copyright law.. (i already know it could possibly be breaking a CPF policy but it's something i'd like to share, and can't hurt to ask)

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast
Best stick to the fair use provisions allowed by law; you can post a part or summary, but not the entire article without the author/publisher's permission....

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
hmm..
is this something i could e-mail them via their website about, or is it something that would require a signature?

(and of course i need the CPF admins approval too, eitherway /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif)

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you could get an email from them allowing you to reprint the article here that would be OK. But you won't get that. They charge for content and so would appreciate your linking to them, but they won't let you reprint the entire thing here.

You'll have to summarize it for us and include a few quotes /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

OR, you can also search around and try to find some info about it on a non-pay per view site. I know I've read elsewhere about what you're talking about.

x-ray

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did a little digging and found this.

Not the full article but gives a fair bit of detail /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
Please do not post the entire 5 pages on CPF even if you have copyright ok. It is ok to post a link to a site that has the article, but please don't post the entire article on CPF.

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another choice to obtain our National Fluid. There is so much that we could do to provide good jobs while reducing our dependance upon foreign oil. Harnessing alternate energy resources would solve numerous problems looming on the horizon.

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks x-ray!
that's exactly the article i had in mind!

[ QUOTE ]
If a 175-pound man fell into one end, he would come out the other end as 38 pounds of oil, 7 pounds of gas, and 7 pounds of minerals, as well as 123 pounds of sterilized water.

[/ QUOTE ]

Death Row goes positive!

raggie33

*the raggedier*
[ QUOTE ]
BlindedByTheLite said:
thanks x-ray!
that's exactly the article i had in mind!

[ QUOTE ]
If a 175-pound man fell into one end, he would come out the other end as 38 pounds of oil, 7 pounds of gas, and 7 pounds of minerals, as well as 123 pounds of sterilized water.

[/ QUOTE ]

Death Row goes positive!

[/ QUOTE ]
if i feel in there id come out as a flashlight

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
For those that haven't seen the movie "Soylent Green" rent it, it will give you the creeps.

So many pounds of Soylent Green would you get from that 175 lb man?

GregR