The latest and best emitter is the XP-L2 right? Isn't it about time for a new one

Dr. Tweedbucket

Enlightened
... with more power and better run times to show up? :confused:

How long is the typical development time between emitters and I wonder if we are rolling off performance wise on what is possible from a single emitter?

ven

Flashaholic
Depends what for and what V your going to give it:naughty:
Off top of my head without googling :laughing:
No order!
There are xml2 u3 and u4
xp-l v3/v5
xp-l hi v5
MKR's i like
xhp35
xhp 50
xhp70- love them
mtg2 -not brand new but its an awesome led imo
xp-g2 different higher bins now
nichia 219c
The xhp70 is good for 5000lm:)

Last edited:

hank_612

Newly Enlightened
I don't know if it is the best. I would love to see a higher output hi cri emiter. Xml output 90+ cri would be a great excuse to update some of my current lights.

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know if it is the best. I would love to see a higher output hi cri emiter. Xml output 90+ cri would be a great excuse to update some of my current lights.
They exist. The Kickstarter light, the Firefly had the hi cri emitter as the first choice. People thought it way too warm, (2900 kelvin) so it was removed from consideration.

Be mindful that specifications alone aren't the way to chose an emitter for a light that you're plunking down a fair chunk of change on.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
there are countless emitters by many companies. Luxeon is still in business to ya know. When it comes to Cree they are really pushing their XHP emitters as the most efficient and coolest running. What current common flashlight emitters are most efficient? Depends...on a LOT. The XML2 U2,U3 and U4 are incredibly efficient in most flashlight amp ranges. XP-L's take over in above I believe 4 or 5 amps in performance potential. Id go look at Crees data sheets again but have spent way to much time there already....On average a new Cree advancement comes along every 2 years.

Dr. Tweedbucket

Enlightened
No order!
There are xml2 u3 and u4
xp-l v3/v5
xp-l hi v5
MKR's i like
xhp35
xhp 50
xhp70- love them
nichia 219c

They told me there would be no math involved :sweat:

Just kidding ... I see it's more involved though than I imagined. Thanks for the answers, it gives me a better perspective. :)

ven

Flashaholic
Well some require a higher voltage like the mkr and xhp70 as 2 examples, so 8.4v(2x 18350 or 18650(or more) as an example).

scout24

Flashaholic
I'm still enjoying several dinosaur emitters... At some point, I couldn't keep up with the latest, greatest, best and brightest anymore. I do like the XP-L, and the MT-G2. I simply have had my simple needs met I guess. Runtime is a plus, but I can't see needing brighter handheld lighting than what my current stable provides. :)

PapaLumen

Enlightened
No order!
There are xml2 u3 and u4
xp-l v3/v5
xp-l hi v5
MKR's i like
xhp35
xhp 50
xhp70- love them
nichia 219c

Don't think there are XP-L HI v5's yet... Isn't v3 the highest bin available at the moment?

recDNA

Flashaholic
I wonder why the Sylvania LED'S are so rare in flashlights? I think they make several HiCRI versions.