MecArmy Illuminex First impression with pics

Heavy

Newly Enlightened
I got this little light yesterday and I thought I'd snap a few pictures and give my 2 cents.

Well it's small and light. Duh. Little shorter than a AAA.

I'm enough of a flashlight noob to be surprised at how much light this little thing can put out. Plenty bright for the EDC purpose I have for it.

Will it start a forest fire from the moon? No. No it won't. Will it help me find my slippers under my bed? Yes. Yes it will.

Love that it is rechargeable and I love that the port is protected under the head.

Easy to twist on and off, although I have rather large hands and it is hard for me to do it one handed unless the neck chain is on it to give me some extra grip. I find that even with the knurling it's slippery.

Questions
Are there 10180 batteries that are not rechargable? I looked and couldn't find any but I figured I'd ask.

Any other super small lights like this that you guys would recommend?

Thanks all...

Last edited:

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
Questions
Are there 10180 batteries that are not rechargable? I looked and couldn't find any but I figured I'd ask.

Thanks for the review. IMO, a non-rechargeable battery of the same size should have a different name to indicate that. E.g., CR123A (non-rechargeable) vs 16340 (rechargeable), or 14500 (rechargeable) vs 14505 (non-rechargeable).

I really like that light also, and don't have trouble with its small size (but my hands are not huge). The other light I'm really liking is the DQG Hobi (I think it's the Hobi I have, DQG has a number of small 10180 lights that are slightly different from each other). The DQG is smaller than the Mecarmy, with a broader spill and slightly less output, and of course does not have in-light charging, which is why it's so much smaller.

Heavy

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the reply.

I agree that if there was a non rechargeable version of the battery it should have another name. Maybe in this case it should be called AAA/3. It seems to be about a third of a AAA. :)

I actually do have a Hobi on order from Gear Best. Who knows when or if it will ever show up. It shipped on the 14th of Jan.

I think I may order a Spy from them as well. I like the knurling on that one.

What about the Jetbeam Mini? Any thoughts?

I think I may end up ordering a Stainless version of the MecArmy light. I'm normally a low key black only type of guy but I like the look of this light in stainless.

N_N_R

Enlightened
Nice. I have the same one under a different brand name and I guess cheaper because of that. But I heard the MecArmy ones go with a 5-year warranty, is it true?

I also find one-handed operation difficult because it's too small (and I'm a female with I guess average to smaller hands).

Heavy

Newly Enlightened
I've read that the other brand name of this light was only meant for sale in China. With the MecArmy you do have a 5 year warranty according to their website.

N_N_R

Enlightened
Hm.... I doubt that thing about the other brand name (it's at least two more brand names I know of, lol). At least it seems others have the cheaper versions, too. Good to know MecArmy provides warranty, though :) I don't have the feeling something will go wrong with the light anyway :D

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is there some reason we're not allowed to say Cooyoo instead of "other brand"??

I have the titanium Cooyoo Quantum version of this light, but a number of people have reported the same problem I have: the light comes on in the pocket, because of a combination of very short threading and perhaps the o-ring not being tight enough. I put a slightly bigger O-ring on that was just the right size to stop the light from turning on, but not it's hard to crank the thing down into high mode. I strongly suggest people avoid the titanium Cooyoo

That Mecarmy guarantee ... I wonder how easy it is to actually use it!

Heavy

Newly Enlightened

I didn't say Cooyoo because I wasn't sure if I knew how is was spelled and was to lazy to look it up. I had only seen it mentioned once and wasn't paying much attention. :eek:

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
Phew! I was worried it was a forbidden word, and the crack CPF security squad was coming after me to beat me with old Maglites or something

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have the titanium Cooyoo Quantum version of this light, but a number of people have reported the same problem I have: the light comes on in the pocket, because of a combination of very short threading and perhaps the o-ring not being tight enough. I put a slightly bigger O-ring on that was just the right size to stop the light from turning on, but not it's hard to crank the thing down into high mode. I strongly suggest people avoid the titanium Cooyoo

That Mecarmy guarantee ... I wonder how easy it is to actually use it!

Ven sent me the SS Quantum for Christmas and I put my house key on it for the times I'm out walking and don't want my heavier key ring with me.

I probably have 10+ miles walking with it in my pocket and it's never come on.

It's a nifty little light and quite bright for such a tiny thing.

Try some synthetic lube on the threads, perhaps?

Chris

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ven sent me the SS Quantum for Christmas and I put my house key on it for the times I'm out walking and don't want my heavier key ring with me.

I probably have 10+ miles walking with it in my pocket and it's never come on.

It's a nifty little light and quite bright for such a tiny thing.

Try some synthetic lube on the threads, perhaps?

Chris

No problem with the aluminum version either... bunch of reports of problems with the Ti version, they obviously had some trouble machining that one specifically...