New 300 lumen Rayovac 2AA indestructible

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone get one of these yet?

Picked one up at home depot and it sure is bright! In fact I think it may be putting out a little more than the rated 300 lumens. Compared to the old 100 lumen version - the hot spot is much bigger and cleaner looking.....no more tunnel vision effect! Of course run time is less: about 1 hr 45 min with Eneloops vs over 8 hrs (with a fairly aggressive step down) for the 100 lumen version. The 300 lumen does not seem to have much of a step down like the 100 lumen has. Apparently PWM is used as it was on the 100 lumen version, but it seems pretty fast and I did not detect it until I viewed it through my digital camera.

Downsides are the 6 second window they programmed to allow mode changing (should be under 1 second to prevent unwanted mode changes when using momentary) and the plastic threads on the tail cap; both carry overs from the original 2AA 100 lumen Indestructible.

The 300 lumen has an added deficiency IMHO – the 70 lumen low mode is too bright for most close up work. They should have kept the low mode in the 15-30 lumen range.

Overall I like it.....nice and bright with a prettier beam, though it would be better with a lower low and a mode change that times out in no more than 1 second between switch activations instead of the approximate 6 seconds it has now. A tail cap with metal threads would be nice too, but unlike the first two changes it might drive up the $15 price point a little.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
good and drop proof sure. God forbid it gets wet though or is even in a moist climate my experience with these lights is they start to corrode quickly on even a humid summer day. So close yet so far....

bykfixer

Flashaholic
good and drop proof sure. God forbid it gets wet though or is even in a moist climate my experience with these lights is they start to corrode quickly on even a humid summer day. So close yet so far....

It's plastic and alluminum. What in the world are you talking about in this latest wet blanket induced statement?

Last edited:

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Had a chance to check out another one of these, which did not have a perfectly round hot spot like the first one and was not as clean around the edges of the hot spot....but it did have a nicer, warmer, more neutral tint. So it seems that some variation in tint and beam pattern are to be expected.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
^^ looking forward to these.

100 lumen low is probably too bright for using as a work light...I agree they shoulda stuck with a lot less.

Does it still use the pencil beam spot xxo? The 100 lumen version has that mega thin hot spot.
(Edit: just read where you addressed that in post #1)

I put a 100 lumen Indestructible set up in a solarforce 3P clone (for hi/lo) and it throws a pencil beam way further than the overall well blended beam a 280 lumen Malkoff M31 in another 3P clone....
(Edit:Looking forward to trying out the brighter setup in a 3P clone..100 lumen low works for me in this case)

It's been reported by some that they shut off after 10-20 minutes and won't re-light for a few minutes.
Rubber head not radiating the heat enough perhaps?
If so Rayovac engineers may either stop production of the 300 lumen model (which would make them kinda collectable) or may figure out how to dispell the heat via another way.

Either way...I want at least one.

Last edited:

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
without taking it apart, it seems that the heat sink is decent enough. The Aluminum near the head heats up (warm not hot) followed by about 3/4 of the length of the body (near the tail cap stays cool) so it appears that heat is being sinked to the aluminum as it should....the plastic lens area did not get hot even when tail standing.

BTW I also saw they have a new 3C Indestructible - 200 lumens, up from 160. Not sure why they didn't bump it up to 300+ lumens to at least match the new 2AA?

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
^^ almost bought the 200 3C...but am holding out for the one you speak of in this thread...

Reason? I like even numbered battery lights regarding C's and D's....

I didn't like the 3c because the reverse clicky means no real momentary and you have to click through low to turn off from high. It also getting too big for a tail switch to be comfortable.

Something I noticed about the new 300 lumen 2AA, is that it has faint inductor whine after running for a while....it is very faint, I couldn't hear it unless I put the head up to my ear.

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Part# DIY2AA-BC

It looks like every review on the Rayovac website says it has the same issue...it turns itself off randomly...then if you wait 5-10mins it will come back on.

The 3AA version looks to be a contender.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Part# DIY2AA-BC

It looks like every review on the Rayovac website says it has the same issue...it turns itself off randomly...then if you wait 5-10mins it will come back on.

The 3AA version looks to be a contender.

It didn't happen with the 2 I have.....both run fine on Eneloops, but I have not tried them with alkalines. It may be that these are drawing too much current from some alkalines and turn back on after they have had some time to recover, Eneloops can deliver a lot of amps and wouldn't have this problem.

Also the run time on the 300 lumen version is much shorter than the old 100 lumen.....about 2 hrs vs 8+ hrs on Eneloops with a heavier step down on the 100 lumen model.

RickZ

Newly Enlightened
It's farther. And I agree, the rubber really holds these lights back, and an original design would be nice to see. A 1000 lumen indestructible would die in minutes.

I don't think they have problems with water corrosion. Metal corrosion on the inside perhaps, but the outside is painted*??? and has rubber, don't see how water could cause corrosion, perhaps electricity if you are adding steel to the outside, otherwise unlikely.
^^ looking forward to these.

100 lumen low is probably too bright for using as a work light...I agree they shoulda stuck with a lot less.

Does it still use the pencil beam spot xxo? The 100 lumen version has that mega thin hot spot.
(Edit: just read where you addressed that in post #1)

I put a 100 lumen Indestructible set up in a solarforce 3P clone (for hi/lo) and it throws a pencil beam way further than the overall well blended beam a 280 lumen Malkoff M31 in another 3P clone....
(Edit:Looking forward to trying out the brighter setup in a 3P clone..100 lumen low works for me in this case)

It's been reported by some that they shut off after 10-20 minutes and won't re-light for a few minutes.
Rubber head not radiating the heat enough perhaps?
If so Rayovac engineers may either stop production of the 300 lumen model (which would make them kinda collectable) or may figure out how to dispell the heat via another way.

Either way...I want at least one.

Treeguy

Enlightened
I want it! I want it! I want it! :eek:

The problem is the Home Depot near me updates its flashlight section about once a decade.

Beauty of a light, though. A super tough 300 lumen AA with momentary... for $15. Yeah baby! :thumbsup:

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
It might be worth asking at your HD when they will be getting them.....if you're lucky they might even have them sitting in the back somewhere waiting to be put on the shelves. I think you can also get them from the rayovac site.

I have tried out mine with alkalines trying to recreate the supposed shutting down problem and couldn't get it to happen even with some old alkalines that expired in something like 2011. This light does seem to hit the alkalines pretty hard for current and will draw them down quickly. NiMH's seem to run brighter than alkalines, even old/crappy no name HSD NiMH cells. NiMHs (and possibly Energizer lithiums) are the way to go in this light, though alkalines will work, just don't expect them to be quite as bright or last as long.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
One thing I've noticed in the review section of box stores is the only customers that take the time are the dis-satified crowd.
But some showed up at the Rayovac site, which frankly surprised me. See, I figured they'd only show the 5 star reviews.

I have a plethora of flashlights laying around. Enough to keep me happy until my local HD puts out the new Rayovacs.

And when they do xxo, I'll know they are not duds thanks to your input and that my eneloop pros would be better served in that one versus an incan mini mag.
Thanks for the updates.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
^^ same near me.
They did restock mini mags though...At Christmas there were none to be found there...
And they've had the same 3 indestructables since I bought #4 back in like November.

I suppose Mag has a guy like the Frito guy at grocery stores who keeps them stocked with Maglites.

Last edited: