Why do the Zebralight SC63 & the SC600 MKIII step down in increments from switch on?

Oztorchfreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why do the Zebralight SC63 & the SC600 MKIII step down in increments from switch on?

I just noticed that the Zebralight SC63 & the SC600 MKIII step down in noticeable increments from the moment of switch on in the high mode.

I have not noticed this on older models.

I thought that these lights started stepping down only after a preset time.

What gives with this?

CHEERS

Capolini

Banned
Re: Why do the Zebralight SC63 & the SC600 MKIII step down in increments from switch

hmmmmm...I don't know!!! I am sure markr6 or another member will know.

Don't they have PID technology like my SC62? With that it is NOT noticeable.

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
Re: Why do the Zebralight SC63 & the SC600 MKIII step down in increments from switch

What cell is being used?

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast

I just noticed that the Zebralight SC63 & the SC600 MKIII step down in noticeable increments from the moment of switch on in the high mode.

I have not noticed this on older models.

I thought that these lights started stepping down only after a preset time.

What gives with this?

CHEERS

They have thermal management(PID) and will step down in small increments in real time as needed to control the max temperature. They only have this feature in the top two modes(H1 and H2). If you are using an older cell or one that is not capable of enough continuous amperage, that can effect things too.

StarHalo

Flashaholic

^This, temperature = output in max modes. Put it on ice if you want prolonged flank speed brightness.

snowlover91

Flashlight Enthusiast

They step down based on temp and/or battery. If the battery can't handle the amp pull they'll step down or if the battery is almost dead it will also. Mine behave just like my SC62 but the 63 kicks in quicker for stepping down.

Oztorchfreak

Flashlight Enthusiast

What cell is being used?

I am using 18650 GA 3500mah batteries in both lights.

I know the PID cuts in at some point from startup but why does it increment in small steps so quickly?

CHEERS

Last edited:

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast

I am using 18650 GA 3500mah batteries in both lights.

I know the PID cuts in at some point from startup but why does it increment in small steps so quickly?

CHEERS

Because the emitters are driven vary hard on these models on H1/H2 and they have very little mass to work as a heatsink. You can up the PID temp target value to slow it down some(instructions are found in the HI models instructions on the ZL website) but, this is the price that has to be payed for such high output from such a small light. If you dont want this rapid decline then use the light on H3 and the output will remain constant until the battery can no long sustain it. H1 and H2 are meant to achieve the highest output that the ambient temperature/conditions will allow and will eventually remain constant once the PID target temp is achieved. They will also increase the brightness again in real time as the conditions allow(increased airflow, lower ambient temperature, exc.)

recDNA

Flashaholic

Any idea how many amps it draws on H2?

markr6

Flashaholic

I see what you're asking. Yes, the older models didn't seem to do this. The SC63w gets warm after about 15-20 seconds then steps down like you said: .5 seconds - .5 seconds - .5 seconds -.5 seconds...

On the other hand, IIRC, my SC62 waited until it was about to set whatever it was near on fire, then stepped down. I think it was closer to 2 minutes, not 15 seconds (both at room temp). This must be an attempt to make it run much cooler and longer.