Sometimes I just...

iacchus

Enlightened
Sometimes, when it is just me and the wolf, I don't use house lights. I just tail stand something and enjoy the fruits of my flashlight bounty. It's nice to know run times and heat signatures, dry runs or what have you, but mostly I just do it to use the things that too often sit on the shelf.

Right now I'm blaring some music, browsing the net, and the only light is a Malkoff Wildcat on the table beside me and the screen of an iPad. It eventually got to 61C and I dropped the output. Rarely have a reason to blast it for a half hour Straight on full output. Good to know it gets pretty friggin' hot.

Sometimes I just like to find ways to just enjoy the lights that mostly hang around.

What about you?

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good thread idea.
I have done something like you wrote many times.

When I sleep in a strange place, one of my favorite things to do is tail stand one on the floor in moon light mode. I leave it on all night. Sometimes I carry old CR123 cells that are almost depleted and use them. Depending on your light, they can sometimes work great for for moon modes. Great way to use up old cells too. Just make sure you label them so they don't get mixed up. Another one to try this with is that old RCR cell that won't hold a charge for very long. Check out how long it will moon light?
Other bored ways to play with your flashlight light "bounty":

If you like to try ceiling bounces, try moving the light around the room at different heights. Each can give some different results. Floor, top of cabinet, corner, middle of room etc.

Do you have ceiling fans? I hung a small AAA (removed reflector) or DQG spy from the pull chain, the flood looks pretty neat. I left the AAA light there. The DQG lights don't have impressive run times.

Other play idea I like is messing around with making diffusers. Fun ideas (for me lol): old pill bottles (yellow ones work great camping), water bottles with different colored water using food colors. A few times I used one of the kids cheap beach balls or those thin bounce balls and put it the light. They look like a glowing orb! I used 4 different balls at Halloween, they were orange and looked so cool in yard. I put two on low mode, and 2 on strobe! We got tons of comments.

I have been having tons of fun with the Foursevens smart Quark. You can do all this from across the room! Wireless if you will.

Reading back through this posted, I am almost embarrassed. :anyone:
Later and have fun my friends.

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a water bottle with an indent in the cap that fits my INOVA X5 perfectly that I sometimes use as an end table "lamp". Just purchased a couple SF 6Ps at reduced cost and grabbed a couple Xeno diffusers. Now I can use the 6P as a "lamp" as well since the diffuser has a flat end.Always have an MD2 handy and they tail stand nicely.I think you are are spot on iachuss, using our lights as "home" lighting gives us more opportunity to appreciate and play with our toys.:thumbsup:

ven

Flashaholic
Many times at night I will lie there with a selection of lights and in turn just shine about on lower modes . Different tints/styles of lights etc chilling out before I go sleep. If I am feeling a little crazy......higher modes too!

Got it to a point a while back where it does not even get comments, as its the norm :)

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
Drives my wife nuts! I tail stand lights all the time for area lighting, I place cups, bottles, old candle jars, odd glass nicknacks, etc on lights for diff effects, used my maxabeam to shower by (bouncing the beam between the mirrors works well!), once and a while for S&Gs, I'll fire up all my lights, lanterns and whatnot thruout the house just because I can. There's nothing wrong with using your lights any way you'd like.

HarleyXJGuy

Newly Enlightened
Have a dog that will not go outside by herself. Perfect time to sit out behind the house and shine one or more lights around.

Tell the wife I am just checking on the dogs but she knows better.

iacchus

Enlightened
Good thread idea.
I have done something like you wrote many times.

Other bored ways to play with your flashlight light "bounty":

If you like to try ceiling bounces, try moving the light around the room at different heights. Each can give some different results. Floor, top of cabinet, corner, middle of room etc.

Do you have ceiling fans? I hung a small AAA (removed reflector) or DQG spy from the pull chain, the flood looks pretty neat. I left the AAA light there. The DQG lights don't have impressive run times.

Other play idea I like is messing around with making diffusers. Fun ideas (for me lol): old pill bottles (yellow ones work great camping), water bottles with different colored water using food colors. A few times I used one of the kids cheap beach balls or those thin bounce balls and put it the light. They look like a glowing orb! I used 4 different balls at Halloween, they were orange and looked so cool in yard. I put two on low mode, and 2 on strobe! We got tons of comments.

I have been having tons of fun with the Foursevens smart Quark. You can do all this from across the room! Wireless if you will.

Reading back through this posted, I am almost embarrassed. :anyone:
Later and have fun my friends.

I love the pull chain idea and Halloween decoration ideas. I'm going to try both.
I've looked at that bluetooth 47s light, and might buy one just to play with. I certainly don't need one, but really want a hands on w/ the UI.

I have a water bottle with an indent in the cap that fits my INOVA X5 perfectly that I sometimes use as an end table "lamp". Just purchased a couple SF 6Ps at reduced cost and grabbed a couple Xeno diffusers. Now I can use the 6P as a "lamp" as well since the diffuser has a flat end.Always have an MD2 handy and they tail stand nicely.I think you are are spot on iachuss, using our lights as "home" lighting gives us more opportunity to appreciate and play with our toys.:thumbsup:

I'm about to start building some low lumen, long runtime, tailstanding lights to use as hurricane candles. Just trying to pick out the right type now, because I will want ten or so to keep together in a pelican case, so they need to be that sweet spot between decent quality and pretty darn cheap.

Many times at night I will lie there with a selection of lights and in turn just shine about on lower modes . Different tints/styles of lights etc chilling out before I go sleep. If I am feeling a little crazy......higher modes too!

Got it to a point a while back where it does not even get comments, as its the norm :)

I do the same thing while half-watching tv. The wolf always gets annoyed because he thinks I am trying to point out something to him, but cant see anything where I am pointing. He'll even go sniff at the wall, then come back and lay down, giving me a look like I'm crazy. It's pretty funny.

Poppy

Flashaholic

At least your wife can tell her friends that she has no problem keeping you at home and in bed at night :whistle:

ven

Flashaholic
At least your wife can tell her friends that she has no problem keeping you at home and in bed at night :whistle:

That is so true..............maybe she would have no friends is she told them though :laughing:

"whats ven up to?"
"on the bed shining torches..............."

Dont forget Callum too "daddy can we have torch time tonight?"

So lots of excuses to play:thumbsup:

tops2

Enlightened
My wife asked before why I just don't turn on the house light and I'd make up excuses. Now she doesn't ask anymore.. :crackup:

ven

Flashaholic
Oh and the crazy thing, i dont get bored/fed up! ....................after all this time, guess i am a flashaholic for sure:naughty:

Oh yeh.............i can stop anytime i want:p

mjgsxr

Enlightened
Drives my wife nuts! I tail stand lights all the time for area lighting, I place cups, bottles, old candle jars, odd glass nicknacks, etc on lights for diff effects, used my maxabeam to shower by (bouncing the beam between the mirrors works well!), once and a while for S&Gs, I'll fire up all my lights, lanterns and whatnot thruout the house just because I can. There's nothing wrong with using your lights any way you'd like.

Looking at the list of your lights most of them are going to give you a tan in the house :lolsign:. Sunglasses definitely required for safety. Using a Maxa beam to shower buy, that's sounds a bit mad, still wish I had one to give it a go. :clap:

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do it all the time mainly the bedroom and bathroom.In the bedroom use, an 18650 light of some make not really bothered which one and usually the same in the bathroom.For getting up in the night use something with a tiny glow Nitecore tube always around my neck as a backup.As I spend decent money on them may as well get pleasure out of them.

KBobAries

Enlightened
Thank heaven for this thread as I was wondering if it's normal to play with my lights during the daytime. For no reason at all I'll grab a couple lights and walk around my home shining the lights around while comparing the beams, tints, and intensities. A buddy of mine collects harbor freight coupons and stocks up on their free flashlights and has said more than once "I push a button and it turns on." He doesn't "get" the tint, profile, programmability, etc. of a nicer light. I'm so glad to learn he's the abnormal one. ;)

ven

Flashaholic
:naughty: even better flashing with a bare a6 blf,naked IMR and of course.............in da nude!