Help modding a Mag 6D switch

firesure

Newly Enlightened
Apologies if this is in the wrong forum

Very long time reader, very intermittent poster!

Bought a Maglite 6D as it was very cheap indeed.

I'm looking at putting in one of the DX 5x Cree bulbs in and have searched the forum extensively on how to do it.

im going to get hold of a file set and some bits for my Dremel to take a few MM off the head so that the bezel and lens fit better.

However - it looks like there are two options.

1) insulate the positive centre spring using heat shrink or similar and manipulating the outer spring to make contact with the outer portion of the bulb housing.

2) hard wire it in

ill try the first option however I'm prepared to go for the second but I just took apart the switch completely and can't see how people have attached/soldered wiring onto it.

If someone can demo where I need to solder on the pos/neg wires then I could just wire it in!

Any ideas?

thanks!

firesure

Newly Enlightened
Wow.

Have I missed something? Or have I broken forum etiquette somehow?

Ive googled the hell out of it. Normally, I'll find what I'm looking for and crack on, and this forum has helped me a lot over the years. Only this time I can't find anywhere what I'm looking for this time.

So either you're being sarcastic, or an arse. One of the two. So if that comment annoys you - I couldn't care less - your post has annoyed me.

i didn't come here to kiss arse, I came here for help so don't waste my bloody time with posts like that and kill my enthusiasm.

skillet

Enlightened
Look at this thread and it will show where to solder the wires for hard wire connect. Here is another good one for reference. These are all way back before dropins..

Your switch may look a little different but you will know where to connect the wires (red being positive and green being the ground in that 1st build reference)

Also, I'm 100% sure Fivemega was trying to be helpful and not anything else.. Sorry for your frustration..

Last edited:

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
look up CPFer vestureofblood send him a PM about it. Vestureofblood is one of CPF's most respected Mag modders and builders. Sells his own Mag upgrade parts and complete custom Mags. I got a 3 LED Mag drop in from DX a couple years ago I dropped in a 3D Mag it works perfectly no soldering etc required. Its a white LED, Green LED and Red LED. The colored LED's esp the red one put out the highest output I have ever seen colored LEDs put out good stuff. But yes vestureofblood will be able to tell you exactly what you need to do. Very very nice guy...

bykfixer

Flashaholic
FM posts in red. Sometimes that freaks people out.

He typically posts 10 words or less. That too seems to freak some people out.

Not trying to speak for Mr. Mega here. But I think he was inviting you to the party.. in his razor sharp tipped humerous way.

scout24

Flashaholic
Agreed. I can't recall ever seeing a harsh word. On point, direct, no nonsense, yes. Harsh? No...

Edit- I actually googled as FM suggested, his sales link includes the 5 cree you're talking about. Installation instructions for the kit he sells, and some other choices of dropins for what you're looking to do. Give it a look... :)

Last edited:

firesure

Newly Enlightened
Imagine that - coming onto the forum, nervous, armed with an idea and plenty of enthusiasm only to get what appeared to be someone saying "google it"...
Well if that's what you are all saying then I owe an apology!
I'm thinking about cutting the post off but leaving the metal strip intact (that's the negative connection - right?)
Id then solder a wire on and cover it in heat shrink - that will be soldered on in place of the outer contact spring
Inside the switch post was a metal cylinder attached to a spring which made contact with a metal section in the dead centre of the switch (positive connection?)
Could I solder another wire on here and run it up to and in place of the centre spring on the drop in?
i just don't want to ruin a perfectly good switch...
I've seen how to connect it up without doing the above and plan on giving this a go first.
and I'll be modifying the drop in using a Dremel and file set..
Or I could just buy a Malkoff drop in and get it shipped to the UK - but they're sold out!

bykfixer

Flashaholic
You'll like the Malkoff stuff.

Glad to see it sold out...not because you can't get one... but because that means they're selling, which means he'll make more.
My apoligies if it was me that bought the last one.
Nah, seriously I think he showed 7 left when I ordered mine.

FiveMega is the Chuck Norris of flashlights.
Long ago he was inventing stuff incase the Maglite was ever invented.

If worse comes to worse:
It's part number 108-000-208, 108-208 at Mag.

BTW Skillet:
Awesome links.

Last edited: