Surefire vs. Streamlight (internal, quantifiable differences wanted...)

N/Apower

Enlightened
I am interested in the durability, workmanship, and quality of the giblets. SPECIFICALLY, the E2 LED (DL/1-cell, either/or), and the Streamlight ProTac models.

I know a lot of people on this board do some seriously impressive mods, involving taking all the things apart.

Are the Surefire light soldered better? Grounded better? Potted better? What do you see when you actually take it down to the drivers and circuitboards in these lights? If you have pictures, that would be prime!

Thank-you!

*I do not want to compare feature-set, price, availability, or emotions about where they are made or who's brother in law works for who. Just the giblets, and just the quantifiable.

Last edited:

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pennsylvania made Streamlights rock. Build quality is excellent. The Chinese ProTacs are garbage. I blew a hundred bucks on one not to long ago and man it was possibly the worst flashlight I have ever bought. That is when I learned it was made in China. The Pro Tac tail switch is a big squishy abortion of user interface. No tactile feel at all. The anodizing was terrible to boot. I ended up giving it away.

SF's are largely pretty well put together. Ive gotten to examine a couple Fury's. Ive always wanted a Fury but cannot justify the cost. Dont buy into SF's "made in the USA" propaganda. The bodies are indeed made in California but most of the internals are "sourced overseas". I believe the Furys use Luminous emitters. Sorry dont have any pics.

Dr. Strangelove

Enlightened
Last edited: