SureFire M6 Guardian conversion for batteries and LED

TheOld319

Newly Enlightened
I have a friend in Law Enforcement who has a SureFire M6 Guardian from early 2000's he is looking to convert to LED and also, if possible, modify to use 18650s. I did some searching online and I believe there are parts to accommodate both but I'm not sure what parts, brand, would be best. Price doesn't matter, whatever would be the best quality. Thank you!

m4a1usr

Enlightened
The M6 is a bit old school and it seems to have fallen in a rut so to speak. Having said that I myself have found it very satisfying taking the venerable M6 to modern day performance. There are a few different design lithium ion battery holders which work well with the large diameter body. FM did a recent run of modified Olight SR50/SR51 dual 18650 cell holders that work very well. However they are out of production so, like it's predecessors, you would have to wait for one to show up in the parts sales section here on CPF. Even though you didn't ask there's even a McClicky adapter currently available to turn the ole' girl into a quick on/off switch instead of a twisty on/off.

As for upgrading the head to LED that can be done relatively easy. DealeXtreme carries a large reflector/LED assy that is well suited to the Surefire KT4 on the M6 light. A shock foam adapter ring adapter is required to be manufactured so that's really the toughest part of the upgrade modification process. The part number is SKU: 901058481. I recommend getting rid of the XML LED and the POS driver. I did mine using a XML2 but the reflector is an excellent choice for an XHP50 or similar emitter. Mountain Electronics has a slew of 20mm driver choices depending on battery/LED configuration choices. Which reminds me. I previously commented on the battery holder choices. Another I forgot to mention was a dual series 26650 holder from FM. It uses a custom tailcap with a McClicky installed and a PVC battery adapter. That one is long out of production but allows you to use batteries up to a whopping 5000mah rating!

Hopefully I have not dissuaded you or convinced you not to pursue the M6 modern day upgrade. If nothing else look at the Malkoff MDM4 M91T as an alternative but they are growing in popularity and have been out of stock for awhile. However they are still in production so don't lose hope. Just be patient.

Last edited:

m4a1usr

Enlightened
My deepest apologies FM. All of the battery stuff I posted were yours! Not sure why the heck I thought they were RPM's? And ironically I bought those products directly from you! Guess I should have proofed my response prior to posting?

Last edited:

scout24

Flashaholic
I had the opportunity to try out a Lumensfactory head for the M6- Beam quality and output were good, and it seemed quite robust. This is a direct swap head, keeping the KT4 untouched.

TheOld319

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for all the info. I will definitely be researching those options!