New Jetbeam E01R initial impressions

sambeaux2249

Newly Enlightened
Okay, time for some initial impressions, just in case anyone is interested.

The finish is very good. It's a nice, even dark grey. The side switch is very easy to use and quite comfortable. The pocket clip is pretty big. I don't think it will be big enough to get in the way, but it is noticeably LARGE. You remove the tailcap to insert the battery. The charging plug is accessible by removing the head of the flashlight. The flashlight CAN tailstand... in a very stable environment... I wouldn't trust it to stand up to wind or vibration.

The ability to recharge was a big factor in me buying this light. The clicky switch was the other big factor.

The UI is interesting... There is a slight delay after pressing the button before the light comes on. I'd guess maybe half a second? If the light is off and you press the side switch, it comes on in the last used mode. Pressing the side switch again cycles through high-medium-low. When the flashlight is on, a long press turns it off. When the flashlight is off, a longer press engages the lockout, which is indicated by a quick repeating flash as long as you continue holding the button. To disengage the lockout, you can long press again, which is confirmed by a longer flash. A double press at ANY time engages strobe mode. It doesn't matter if the light is on, off, or locked out; double pressing engages strobe. If you enter strobe from lockout, you can press the side button to cycle through high-medium-low, but when you turn the light off, the lockout is still engaged.

The color tint seems pretty good to me. The light is pretty floody, which suits my purposes. High=138lm, Medium=24lm; Low=1lm.

To recharge the flashlight ( using Ni-MH batteries only ), you must completely remove the head of the flashlight. There is a small red LED near the contact spring to indicate that the battery is charging. When charging is complete, the LED turns off. Jetbeam does not provide an estimate for how long it takes to charge a battery.

So far, I'm pretty impressed. We'll see how I feel about it after I use it for a while...

Comparing the light to an Eagletac D25AAA... the Jetbeam is roughly 1/2" longer and slightly bigger around. Comparing the highest output modes on the two flashlights, the beam from the Jetbeam is floodier and a little dimmer than the Eagletac, probably because it produces a bigger spot at the same distance.

I hope this helps anyone else who's thinking about buying one of these.

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast
Having to remove the head to recharge has put me off buying one, I have other lights that you can unscrew the head and just about plug in the cable without having to remove it fully, and i would have liked the power button to showing the charging state.

John.