Zebralight SC62w Flashlight Question

Nichia!

Banned
Hi CPF, one question please..
Can the Zebralight sc62w take an orbtronic 18650 protected 3500ga?

Thank you

AB8XL

Enlightened
NO, the length would be to long, I would suggest unprotected cells only. Zebralight's website states max battery length up to 69mm long. You have to leave a little bit of wiggle room for the spring contacts, Orbtronics website says the battery length is 68.9, right on the edge of max supported, I wouldn't suggest it. Panasonic/Sanyo NCR18650GA 3500mAh length is 65.1 which is the recommended battery. protected battery not needed as Zebralight includes voltage cut off in their design.

Last edited:

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
NO, the length would most likely be to long, unprotected cells only. Their website states battery length up to 69mm long.
He said SC62, not SC63. The SC62 is designed to take both protected and unprotected cells up to 69mm long. The Orbtronic battery he is talking about is less the 69mm long so it should fit fine as long as it isn't overly thick.

Last edited:

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast
yeah some earlier sc62's have "tight" battery tubes. to be sure just get KeepPower 2016 onwards which aren't double-wrapped so they fit even the tight 62's

Nichia!

Banned
I want to use protected battery, do you guys know what Hi capacity battery can fit in?

AB8XL

Enlightened
He said SC62, not SC63. The SC62 is designed to take both protected and unprotected cells up to 69mm long. The Orbtronic battery he is talking about is less the 69mm long so it should fit fine as long as it isn't overly thick.

I looked up the SC62, not SC63. I own this particular light and all the protected cells I have will not fit without damaging the light or denting the battery. Mechanical stresses are bad news, for both the light and battery.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I looked up the SC62, not SC63. I own this particular light and all the protected cells I have will not fit without damaging the light or denting the battery. Mechanical stresses are bad news, for both the light and battery.
That's funny because I have seen many people use all different types of protected cells in this light without issue as long as they are within the specs. I use several different types of protected cells in my H600's(same specs) all the time as well without issue.

The Orbtronic's are pushing the limits of the specs with their lengths but, still should work.

Last edited:

rumack

Enlightened
The Eagletac 3400 fits in my SC62w. I don't know if my SC62w is one of the tighter ones or not, but the Eagletac 3400 is on the smaller side as protected batteries go.

markr6

Flashaholic
That's funny because I have seen many people use all different types of protected cells in this light without issue as long as they are within the specs. I use several different types of protected cells in my H600's(same specs) all the time as well without issue.

The Orbtronic's are pushing the limits of the specs with their lengths but, still should work.
True. I think even Selfbuilt said in his review that all the protected cells he had fit.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why do you want to use a protected battery? Zebralight already has voltage cutoff incorporated into their design.
Protected cells offer many other protection features other then voltage cutoff including overheating protection, over current protection, short circuit protection, over charge protection, and often come with a more conservative cutoff voltage then ZL's 2.7V. They also offer a second layer of protection should the lights electronics fail, offer short circuit protection when the cell is out of the light, and offer added protection while charging. Although some users can safely use unprotected cells, protected cells are still the safest choice overall and it is the users choice to decide which they want to use.

Let's not get into a debate on whether you think the OPer needs to use protected cells. He has already said he wants to and it's his choice.

Last edited:

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Protected cells offer many other protection features other then voltage cutoff including overheating protection, short circuit protection, over charge protection, and often come with a more conservative cutoff voltage then ZL's 2.7V. They also offer a second layer of protection should the lights electronics fail, offer short circuit protection when the cell is out of the light, and offer added protection while charging. Although some users can safely use unprotected cells, protected cells are still the safest choice overall and it is the users choice to decide which they want to use.

Let's not get into a debate on whether you think the OPer needs to use protected cells. He has already said he wants to and it's his choice.

Sorry, Tachead... with all due respect, but as usual, you go too far. ZL also has built in thermal protection. A quality charger is more important than a protected cell, safety wise. If your charger is overcharging your cells, I wouldn't put too much faith in a protection strip... what? A protection strip can't fail? Oh, they can, with the slightest amount of abuse. Don't use a crap charger, then no worries about overcharge.

Show me the protected cell that is more conservative than the 2.7V cutoff of ZL, please.

ICR protected cells may in fact be far less safe than unprotected IMR cells. ICR Li-ion is inherently less safe than IMR chem cells. Protected cells also have lower amp ratings, won't allow as high a current as unprotected.

The biggest problem with protected cells is that the novice misunderstands what "protected" means. They will assume the protection is for humans, when it is for the cell. This misunderstanding can cause issues, namely, a false sense of security.

There is a fine line between redundency and superfluousness.

Here's a syllogism for ya: superfluous protection is superfluous.

Nichia!

Banned
Why do you want to use a protected battery? Zebralight already has voltage cutoff incorporated into their design.

Because I want more protection! And I don't want to relay on the light alone incase it's low voltage cutoff fails then I don't have to worry about it..

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Because I want more protection! And I don't want to relay on the light alone incase it's low voltage cutoff fails then I don't have to worry about it..

Here we are, perfect example! Misunderstanding what "protection" means in "protected cell." It doesn't protect YOU at all, only the cell. Thanks Nichia! for driving the point home. Think about how adjectives work, and to what that adjective is attached. It qualifies the noun "cell." If YOU want more protection, you'll have to hire security (or patronize your local drug store for some prophos, LOL).

Last edited:

markr6

Flashaholic
I was going to add, "more" isn't always more...or better...or safer.

Nichia!

Banned
Here we are, perfect example! Misunderstanding what "protection" means in "protected cell." It doesn't protect YOU at all, only the cell. Thanks Nichia! for driving the point home.

That's right I want it to protect the cell to do what it's made for!! That's is the point..

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry, Tachead... with all due respect, but as usual, you go too far. ZL also has built in thermal protection. A quality charger is more important than a protected cell, safety wise. If your charger is overcharging your cells, I wouldn't put too much faith in a protection strip... what? A protection strip can't fail? Oh, they can, with the slightest amount of abuse. Don't use a crap charger, then no worries about overcharge.

Show me the protected cell that is more conservative than the 2.7V cutoff of ZL, please.

ICR protected cells may in fact be far less safe than unprotected IMR cells. ICR Li-ion is inherently less safe than IMR chem cells. Protected cells also have lower amp ratings, won't allow as high a current as unprotected.

The biggest problem with protected cells is that the novice misunderstands what "protected" means. They will assume the protection is for humans, when it is for the cell. This misunderstanding can cause issues, namely, a false sense of security.

There is a fine line between redundency and superfluousness.

Here's a syllogism for ya: superfluous protection is superfluous.

Electronics can fail. Many new protected cells don't use "protection strips". Bare cells offer no over current or short circuit protection. Most lights don't need more then the 10 amp continuous rating that the Orbtronic provides and if they do the over current protection will protect the cell. This isn't a IMR or ICR comparison and most of the new top 18650's are ICR. There is no substitute for proper li-ion safety however, protected cells are near idiot proof and will protect users against almost all conditions that might present a danger unlike bare cells.

Look Chillin, this is not a debate thread for protected vs. unprotected cells. The OPer already said he wants to use protected.