Computerized setting of ARC4

Status
Not open for further replies.

absoLite

Newly Enlightened
I have had an idea to setup the ARC4 (brightness levels, modes etc.) with a computer.

Currently the setting is done by repeatedly pressing the tail switch.
As I understand, and that is the questionable point with my idea, the tail switch only transmits the signal to an electrical contact switch in the head.
Now, if those 2 contacts are accessible from outside, maybe with an adapter that additionally provides power instead of the battery when the head is unscewed, then those contacts could be electrically connected to a switch that is controlled by a computer. Think of a relais or a parallel output signal that is swithced on an off under computer control.

Now you would need a program that controls the switch in a way that the ARC4 recognizes it as clicks to access the menus.
I think of a software that has menu entries that you could select, like "Force primary on" or "Select primary/secondary brightness level", where you could choose between 16 buttons which would represent the brightness levels.
If you want to setup your ARC, unsrew the battery compartment, screw the head onto the adapter, start your software and select the desired options. When done, your light is ready to use. No more clicking and remembering the sequences to achieve a certain goal.

What do you think of that ?
The main point with my idea is if the switch contacts are accessible.

jpeg

Enlightened
Build one Absolite, that's a really neat idea...
It should work, but you don't want the computer controlled click sequences to go too fast or the arc will "learn" that click speed, and you'll have to click a bunch of times to slow it down again after setting... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Mark_van_Gorkom

Enlightened
Now if Peter would design a mouse (beter yet trackball) that learns your double-cliccking speed, the Arcdapter (tm) could copy that speed /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

absoLite

Newly Enlightened
jpeg, you could even tell the program to let it slow down the "clicking speed" for you.
It would then "click" maybe 100 times, where between every click there would be a slightly greater pause.

jpeg

Enlightened
ha ha of course... I didn't think of that... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

tsg68

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Atrick-Pay said:
Why have a computer?

How about just alittle adapter that had
4 buttons: Click/press, Double-Click, Menu, Options.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why not keep it simple and just have one button that you press a few times. Oh crap, I forgot, that IS all you have to do! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif

Tad /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Fastlane

Newly Enlightened
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hahaha.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif

TrevorNasko

Flashlight Enthusiast
Atlanta, GA>> The Flashlight that was broken shall
i think its a good idea - however it does not seem to be a feature that could feasably be realeased by arc any time this year. or next year for that matter, as there is already enough work to go around. were you to try i think you would find the arc 4 is designed to thwart this sort of thing. i know. it is virtualy reverse engineer-proof and you may end up harming it more than you would help it.

in short , you can try but if it were me i would just use the switch. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

bwcaw

Enlightened
I don't understand why you would want a computer interface for your light. It is fairly simple to access the advanced menu's with the tailswitch, and you don't need to carry a laptop and a usb cable around with you! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

jpeg

Enlightened
Laziness is the mother of invention..
(Or something like that... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif )

absoLite

Newly Enlightened
jpeg, you're right ! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif
At least one wouldn't have to remember all the click sequences anymore, especially if possibly more options are added to the menu.
I'm in no position to build such a device by myself, but I think I could program it if it was built by someone else.
From the replies I conclude, however, that there would be not much need for such a device.
Anyway... I'm sure the ARC4 is great without it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

TheFire

Enlightened
this is really unlikely to work the way you think it will. If you take apart the tailcap (not recommended by Arc), you'll see that what the switch in the tail is actually doing is pushing the whole battery forward to that the positive nub of the battery actuates a mechanical switch in the head of the Arc. So you'd either need to find some way to short that switch (not something I see as readily available), or build a mechanical actuator (much more difficult than pressing the buttons, IMHO.

absoLite

Newly Enlightened
Yes, if it is not possible to electrically short the switch then my whole idea does not work.

ViciousCycle74

Newly Enlightened
very neat idea, but as TheFire said, you would need the computer to controll mechanical actuation of the internal switch, not just switching power to the head. This while not impossible, is probably more work/expense than it's worth. Cool idea though, if the adapter were somehow available, I'd love to take a whack at the programming.

cosco

Newly Enlightened
I am tempted to check the connections under the positive contact. There are some soldering points visible. The switch is the white piece under the cobalt gold plate. Have to go to check the wiring with my ohm metter. I will post the results latter.

Status
Not open for further replies.