Zebralight SC600w Mk III HI questions

benhar

Newly Enlightened
So I've been lurking around lately as I work through some issues with my Predator Pro, and I think y'all brainwashed me into getting a Zebralight SC600w Mk III HI. I was able to resist getting an AceBeam L16 due to the brightness level spacing and it being too similar in function to my existing lights, but this one is a style I've never had and looks intriguing enough to waste play money.

But I want to be sure before pulling the trigger (I'm already given a hard time for having 3-4 several pricey flashlights, all with different UI's), so was hoping to get a few questions answered...

1) I've read that they only take unprotected 18650's and are size picky. Any recommendations?

2) Does the "Hi Intensity" just mean High CRI?

3) Where's the best place to by? Wanted to go Amazon since I have a gift card, but it seems to be a little more expensive there.

4) Are there any rumors of updates that should make me consider waiting a little while?

Thanks for any help!

ven

Flashaholic
Size wise, unprotected cells, sanyo GA is a recommended cell. Also the sony vtc6 and samsung 30q work well also.
HI as in the LED itself, flat dome or flat silicon layer as apposed to the traditional dome on LED's. In a way its like a de-dome to increase throw, without the tint shift side effect that is associated with de-doming.

High cri(sometimes written as hi cri for short) is colour rendering index. Registering high on this index helps makes colours look better or more true to life..........sun light is 100 cri for an example(more to it than that as CRI is just one part of it).

Not sure on your side, ZL themselves or a reputable seller on here.

There is some new lights due out, when is anyone's guess but would have though not too far off. One is the sc64...............more compact than the 600 series.

If you want a compact throwy light, also check out the emisar D1. This has the xpl HI and comes in 5000k /6500k flavours(recommend the former 5000k)and ramping UI............awesome UI!!! Its a great light for $40, so good even if you dont need it , its worth buying;)

benhar

Newly Enlightened
Thanks! I did consider the D1, just figured I'd go for something regulated, plus everyone seems to rave about ZL quality. After looking around a little more I think I'm going to try holding out for the SC600w Mkiv. I keep reading it has a new UI, but can't seem to find what exactly that UI is. Anyone have any details?

ven

Flashaholic
The new UI(this is pinched from the sc5c mkII), Basically you can have more programmed modes,G6 and G7. These you can set up different, allowing many options for the user . So there are now 3 mode groups, G5/G6/G7. Each group can be set up , then to swap groups you simply double tap 5(G5) 6 (G5) or 7(G7) times to select that group. Sounds more complected than it is(or it did to me before i got the light). It works well, quite user friendly ..................

This light has 3 main levels (High, Medium, and Low) and a beacon-strobe mode. Each main level can be programmed to one of its two sub-levels. The second sub-level of each main levels can be further programmed to different brightness levels.

• Basic Operation
    • One short-click turns on the light to High or turns off the light.
    • Two short-click turns on the light to Medium.
    • Three short-click turns on the light to the beacon-strobe mode.
    • Press and hold (for over 0.6 seconds) turns on the light to Low and then Medium and High. Release at the desired level.
  • Advanced Operation and Configuration
    • Press and hold to cycle from Low, Medium and High, release at the desired level to set. When press and hold, the light always cycle from Low to High regardless which level you are currently in.
    • Double click to toggle and select between the two sub-levels for that main level. Sub-level selections for the 3 main levels are memorized after the light is turned off and through battery changes.
    • The second sub-level (H2, M2 and L2) of each main levels can be further programmed to different brightness levels. At a main level, double-click 6 times to start configuration. On subsequent double-clicks the light will cycle through different brightness levels. Short click to turn off the light when finishing configurations. The selections for the second sub-levels are memorized after the light is turned off and through battery changes.
    • This light uses the main LED (flashing 1 to 4 times) to indicate the estimated remaining capacity of the battery. To start the battery indicator, (from Off) short-click 4 times without pause.
    • Beacon-strobe mode can be accessed from 3 short-clicks when the light is Off. Once in the beacon-strobe mode, you can double-click to cycle through different types of beacons and strobes. Beacon-strobe settings are memorized when the light is turned off and through battery changes.
  • Multiple Mode Groups
    • This light comes with three mode groups, G5, G6 and G7. The G5, set as the factory default, can be selected with 5-click from OFF, while G6 and G7 can be selected with 6-click and 7-click from OFF respectively. Mode group selections are memorized after the light is turned off and through battery changes.
    • In all three mode groups
      • H can be either H1 or H2; M can be either M1 or M2; L can be either L1 or L2
      • from OFF: 1-click to H; 2-click to M; press and hold to cycle from L, M to H
    • In G5
      • H1 is fixed at 475Lm, H2 can be 352, 236, or 144Lm
      • M1 is fixed at 79Lm, M2 can be 40, 18, or 7.4Lm
      • L1 is fixed at 2.8Lm, L2 can be 1.0, 0.28 or 0.08Lm
    • In G6 and G7
      • H1, H2, M1, M2, L1 and L2 can be programmed to any of the 12 available brightness levels
      • Double-click 6 times at the H1, H2, ... L2 to enter the programming mode for that level. Once in the programming mode, use double-click to go up one level and triple-click to go down one level. Use 1-click to exit the programming mode
    • Three consecutive 5-click (or 6-click, 7-click) to reset the G5 (or G6, G7) back to the factory default settings

ven

Flashaholic
I dont have the 600 series, i do have the 63 though. Here is a pic to give an idea on size with 3x 18650 lights. Good old predator pro v2.5,D1 and sc63w. Zebralights are very compact!

Here it is in between 2 x 16340 lights, on the left v11r 16340/sc63w 18650/hds 16340) and the convoy s2 which is fairly compact for an 18650

The sc600 are a little more beefy over the 63, larger head which all helps with handling the heat dissipation............

Last edited:

benhar

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the explanation and pics! I didn't realize the new UI is in the sc5c mkII. That UI sounds great, I'd much rather have a medium brightness with 1 click, with a low as alternate, and then turbo at the 2-click. I use medium way more than high, not to mention that makes the flashlight more accessible to someone borrowing it (a.k.a., my wife) who's accustomed to a normal on/off flashlight.

ven

Flashaholic
Your welcome benhar, i find a picture says a 1000 words and makes things easy to understand(yep i like books with pictures not words):whistle:

The UI is great, i have the old UI on the sc62d(still love this light, my most used ZL tbh) and on the sc63w. The sc5c mkII UI i do prefer though, just gives that bit more flexibility and as with you, like to start on a more "medium" type of level. I dont do super low that often, i prefer a level that is more of a do it all type. Bright enough for most applications basically.

The sc5c is quite a chunk when you compare it to the 18650 ZL's i have

It actually reminds me more of a 16340 fed light in build and feel...................not a bad thing for me as its my preferred EDC size(or was till i got the more compact 18650 ZL). Now these ZL's have become part of my EDC rotation!

DIPSTIX

Enlightened
I love my sc600 MKIII HI. Out of all my lights it's the one I edc the most. I keep thinking after every new edc light I purchase it's place will be taken. It has yet to happen.
20171005_033709_zpsojykrfpo.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]