pictures of arc ls dis-assembled?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AilSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can anyone point me to pictures of arc ls parts so I can understand how they are put together internally?

AilSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
found this pic in another thread,

Fraen2.jpg

some q's: is this retaining ring responsible for holding the lens forward?

Do these threads go all the way from the tailpack threads to the lens? Is this the same system for the first gen and the second (latest?) gen arc ls?

How is the head to lens sealed?

edit: how big is the light opening on the head?

Should this thread perhaps be moved to the arc forum?

cosco

Newly Enlightened
I have disassembled the ARC LSL - second run. Unfortunately I did not take any pictures and I do not have it right now to disassemble it again. I have lost it in my friend car. Waiting..... I can remember anyway. The inner thread is divided into two separate threads. The lens is hold in the head by some sealing sticker ring - black color. You barely see it from outside. Then goes the optics. I have the NX01 optics but I swapped it with the McFllod reflector. Nice flood. The optics has a thin plastic ring around - probably to make space between the lens and optics. Then goes the plastic holder for the optics, fixed in place with aluminium custom nut with two holes. Then goes another aluminium nut as support for the board with emitter. The emitter is secured by another custom made nut. There is a rubber foam ring to hold the positive battery contact out from the board gold pad when the light is off (I have the twistie switch).
I know - the expanded view photo would work better.

jpeg

Enlightened
And you lost it??? Poor cosco...:(

Too bad, I am very interested in LS mods. When you say custom nut, does that mean you had it custom tooled or that it's just not a stock ARC piece? If the later, then where did you get the parts?

AilSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you cosco,

Two different threads? why is that? what is the difference between them?

cosco

Newly Enlightened
to jpeg: It slipped out from my pocket when I was sitting in my friend's car. I realised it when he was gone. Now I have to wait till we meet again /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif I have more time to evaluate my ARC4 second /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
English is not my mother tong. When I say custom nut I mean Peter did not use anything ready available. He mentioned somewhere (I think when he was offering lots of spare parts) that he designed the shape and let the nuts made for the flashlights. Maybe I am not a good observer but it seems to me every one of the total three nuts has a bit different shape. I have to make some pictures when I get my precious back.

to AilSnail: the threads are of the same measure. They are just cut into two shorter threads. I do not know why. The nuts have the same thread measure but it seems to me that each of the nut is shaped a bit differently, depending on its task.
I actually realised to have some leftovers from the modding. I took some pictures for you:

optics1.jpg

optics2.jpg

optics3.jpg

The plastic holder of the optics is different - an older version. That is why it needs another nut to be kept in place. The nut on the picture is actualy the one supposed to hold the board. It was sealed by some epoxy. I dremelled the epoxy out. You can see the dent on the nut.

I hope this may help you.

cosco

Newly Enlightened
cy > sorry. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif I would like to keep the parts for the case I change my mind from McFlood back to NX or Fraen. The optics is the only NX1 I have. The nut is available from Peter Gransee on request. He sold me one for $4.

AilSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you Cosco, you have been of great help. I think I have a better understanding of how it is assembled now.
I will probably order an Arc LS to mod it, everything but the body, kroll and lens will be discarded.

Please see if I got it correctly. From the front to the rear, in the rev. 2 head, there is
1: lens
2: sealing gasket
3: optic
4: plastic optic retaining nut, or plastic shim then an aluminium retaining nut
5: nut to hold the LED?
6: PCB
7: PCB retaining nut
8: foam ring

Also, can somebody measure the diameter of the front opening for me? (the hole where the light comes out)

Thanks again

simbad

Enlightened
Watching the lens now I do relize what is that little square gap that you can see from outside of the light, apart of the plastic cover to protect it....thank you, good information.sorry, still Iam a newbie..

cosco

Newly Enlightened
OK here is a kind of schematic picture of the guts of the ARC LS:

ARC_LS.jpg

1--body
2--sealing gasket (kind of sticker, black)
3--lens
4--thin plastic ring - actually on the optics rim, spacer between lens and optics
5--optics
6--plastic shim
7--aluminium nut
8--aluminium nut
9--pcb board with emitter
10-aluminium nut

Sorry for the poor picture. The only CAD I have is Eagle for designing PCB's. There are no spaces between the body, sealing gasket, lens, plastic ring, optics, shim, nut actually. Nut no 7 holds everything tight against the front of the body. I did not try to show the thread in the body and on the nuts. Do not know how. No proportions as well.
As I mentioned I do not have the light with me right now. Someone else has to measure the opening of the light for you.

BTW can I have the "guts" of your flashligt if you are going to give it away? I am tempted to make my own design of some flashlight.

AilSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great picture, it all comes together for me now. I had not hoped for this much assistance /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Sorry, someone else contacted me already about the guts.

AilSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also would like to know what is the lens diameter in the 1-piece body, and its thickness?

H00D

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys -
I am also interested in doing a LS mod...I have found this LS MOD which might help you...if you find anything else, please post it here...good luck all

stan

AilSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep, I saw that. I have a rev2 coming my way. If anyone has input on how the rev1 differs in construction please speak up.

Status
Not open for further replies.