BEWARE OF PAYPAL SCAM CIRCULATING!!!

bryguy42

Newly Enlightened
BEWARE!!! I received a Fraudulent E-mail this morning from a hacker pretending to be paypal.. The webpage was a PERFECT COPY btw... (except for having "dear valued paypal customer instead of my name...)

The E-mail said there was a "third party" that had accessed my account and that my account was "limited" due to security precautions.

Well when I clicked on the URL provided, there was no Gold encryption lock at the bottom of the page. (luckily i did not enter any info), and immediately deleted that window and called PAYPAL...

PAYPAL said that there were 20,000 or more of these "fraudulent" E-mails sent out and that the FBI was involved... (The fraudulent Emails were sent from from the middle east)

I also was prompted to change my password and ID questions as a security precaution.

P.S. PAYPAL said whenever they send E-mail it will have your full name and not "dear valued paypal cutomer" in the heading... They also said to look for the GOLD LOCK at the bottom of the page which shows it is an encrypted site...

Hopefully this helps someone out...

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Yep, same thing happened to me. Like you, I sensed that this was not legitimate and discarded it. Happens to me every now and then with various online services. Very often the perp will give himself away with bad spelling or grammar.

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Also I noticed that even on the better ones, they have an "https" beginning their link, yet when you go to it, it is just "http", meaning an unsecured address...

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you look closer at that e-mail, the ENTIRE e-mail, while appearing to be text, is actually a huge JPG file,

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've gotten several of these. Never use the links provided in the e-mail. They might not be what they seem. If you use I.E., like some of us fools do, don't even trust the URL you see in the address bar.