Opinions-when is it too big for a pocket clip?

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was looking at the PM6 thread asking about a pocket clip.
First thing I thought was that that light is too big for a pocket clip.
I see the pics of the upcoming U2, and the comments on how great the pocket clips looks. Well, I've got one preordered, but that light is as big as the L5. Maybe it will clip in a cargo pocket...
The thing's huge, and people are cheering about carrying it bezel down in their pocket?
I can see bezel up carry with even a 3-cell light like a TL-3 or SF D3 as being reasonably comfortable, but I wouldn't want to do it all the time.
Anything bigger than the SF E2 or SL TL2 series lights, and I think I'd want a belt pouch.
Those are just my opinions.
What about yours?
How much light do you feel comfortable carrying clipped to your pocket?

C

Cosmic Superchunk

I recently met a guy who installed a pocket clip to his Inova X5T and I've been thinking of doing the same to mine. I don't own a Surefire E2, but that's probably the maximum width flashlight I'd carry comfortably clipped to the pocket. I do have a Surefire M2 Centurion which I like to carry on occasion, but despite the clip I carry it bezel down in a Spec-Ops Brand pouch.

MY

Enlightened
While I think that the upcoming U2 will be interesting, it will be like all the other Surefires IMHO (excepte E1 series) - - too big for EDC in the pocket. I can see folks carrying it on a holster, clip or jacket, but not in the pants pocket. Once it gets beyond ARC4 size, then it is too big for pocket carry. The size issue is why the Firefly was an instant success - - pocketbility. If you don't have it with you, you can't use it. Perhaps in the winter time, bulky clothes and jackets allow carrying larger lights. When summer rolls around and people are wearning shorts, it would be interesting to hear the comments one will recieve carrying a U2 in their shorts pocket! Why yes dear, I am happy to see you.

DimBeam

Enlightened
Since I started the thread on the why there is no pocket clip on the M6-LED let me expand.First of all , when I say pocket I mean PANTS pocket not shirt. I like concealing the flashlight for a variety of reasons i.e., the constant questions from people asking what is on your belt sheath, being able to pull it out quickly without fussing with a sheath, and finally keeping stuff off my belt especially if I am wearing a nice pair of pants. I have nothing against sheaths but they are not for me. And you have to admit you see more now than ever some guy walking in a mall with a cell phone,flashlight,beeper,PDA,and knife all hanging around his waist. Just my opinion but guys like that are either really busy(maybe a few) or just showoffs.

bgenlvtex

Newly Enlightened
OOH this one is easy. "when is it too big.....?" For me the answer is when it is round.Size really isn't the issue as much as shape for me.I won't/don't clip things in my front pants pockets and something round and large enough to hold a battery of suitable reserve(aa,123a)are too large for comfortable carry in a rear pocket as an EDC. Having said that I should explain that I wear jeans everyday for work and play and they fit.If I wore some kind of larger baggy pants I may have a different opinion but since I'm not going to it's a moot point. I don't even carry knives with clips anymore as I found that they eat clothes for breakfast, lunch and dinner. So i carry a 3" folder in a belt holster on my right side and cell phone on the left. I'm in agreement on the fully accessorized cell phone,pager,pda,"Bat Belt" guys.Although I would generally use a term slightly different than showoff,it does start with SH /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsdown.gif

DimBeam

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
bgenlvtex said:
OOH this one is easy. "when is it too big.....?" For me the answer is when it is round.Size really isn't the issue as much as shape for me.I won't/don't clip things in my front pants pockets and something round and large enough to hold a battery of suitable reserve(aa,123a)are too large for comfortable carry in a rear pocket as an EDC. Having said that I should explain that I wear jeans everyday for work and play and they fit.If I wore some kind of larger baggy pants I may have a different opinion but since I'm not going to it's a moot point. I don't even carry knives with clips anymore as I found that they eat clothes for breakfast, lunch and dinner. So i carry a 3" folder in a belt holster on my right side and cell phone on the left. I'm in agreement on the fully accessorized cell phone,pager,pda,"Bat Belt" guys.Although I would generally use a term slightly different than showoff,it does start with SH /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsdown.gif

[/ QUOTE ] /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hahaha.gif I like your expression "Batbelt". Can I borrow it?...very funny.

bgenlvtex

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
DimBeam said:
I like your expression "Batbelt". Can I borrow it?...very funny.

[/ QUOTE ]

Welcome, and of course...it's my gift to you. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

dandruff

Enlightened
i have a surefire E2e which i EDC but i never use the clip coz the whole bezel would stick out and and thus attract those curious question etc.

most of the time i use a Niteize Pockits (www.niteize.com) to hold my E2 and victorinox swiss champ together and id slip the whole damn thing in my pocket. its quiet big and clumsy but i realise it isnt obvious to other people's eyes