Any mods out there that will make a L4 dimmable?

Frangible

Enlightened
U2(?) or whatever looks nice but is too big. Are there any mods that will let me dim my L4? Thanks.

tylerdurden

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Any mods out there that will make a L4 dimmabl

You could just wait for the L2, which appears to be a two-cell version of the L1 with a KL4-looking head on it and the same two-stage switch seen on the L1 and A2. It's so long that I have to assume the circuitry is in the body as it is on the L1, but I'm still not clear on if it incorporates a Lux-V or Lux-III.

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast

Frangible,

There has been some discussion about doing this here.

Paul

Frangible

Enlightened

Ah cool... nothing I can quite buy yet, though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I'm someone will someday start selling dimmer mods for the popular flashlights and earn a nice lil profit. Until then...

gadget_lover

Flashaholic

Frangible,

If you want to send me your light (and take the risk that I'll kill the tailcap badly) I'll upgrade it to high/low for you for free. I've got it working well on my Streamlight TL3-LED, so the same concept should work on your L4. It seem to recall that it will need to run at 1 watt or less in low mode to keep the L4 electronics happy.

NOTE: There is a slight chance that I will slip, trip or otherwise accidently break the tailcap. The light itself will not be modified in any way but is needed to verify the fit of the mod and the electrical characteristics. The mod will consist of placing a resistor into the tailcap and adding an contact to conduct to the battery tube.

What do I get out of this? Validation of my design without having to buy an L4.

Daniel

absoLite

Newly Enlightened

gadget_lover, it would be great if this works !
I suppose the different modes are activated by turning the tailcap ?
Would this mod also work on a TW4 ?

Lebkuecher

Flashlight Enthusiast

gadget lover

If Frangible won't take you up on your offer I will if your ok with it. Please let me know.

artar

Enlightened

I'am sure this thing will dimm every flashlight :

ag01001-.jpg

normally, this thing is an upgrade for the gag.lights (2D->6D) and dims the output in 2 steps ( globetrotter.de ). it is 0,5 x 3,3 cm Ø and should fit in many lights.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic

Hi Absolite. Yes, it would require turning the tailcap to change modes.

Lebkuecher; Thanks for the offer. Lets see what Frangible says.

I'd like to get my hands on one of those disks that Artar found. I suspect they will work fine with direct drive lights, but might have problems with regulated ones. Is there a US source?

Daniel

Lebkuecher

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks Daniel

Frangible, I don't think you have a lot to loss by trying this. If it works OK and I'm willing to bet it will, then it would be great. Sure beats buying a larger light to get the same functionality out of a 5 watt.

chrisse242

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
gadget_lover said:

I'd like to get my hands on one of those disks that Artar found. I suspect they will work fine with direct drive lights, but might have problems with regulated ones. Is there a US source?

Daniel

[/ QUOTE ]

Klaus used one of them in his twak mod. He started to make contact with the maker of these to find out if they could make it smaller. In this size, with 3,3cm diameter it would only fit in d-sized lights. I don't know if there is any news but I'm sure he will tell us.
Gadget, if you don't find a US-source pm me. I could order one for you and send it if you really want it. Postage to the states might make it a bit expensive for you. It's 20,95 Euro plus shipping now and you would still have to add shipping to the states.

Chrisse

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast

What Chrisse said - but no news yet - posted some information on it in the thread about my TWAKed OA3D - still not decided which of my 5 dimmable LSs I like best though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

ARC4+ with Pyrex lense and tab
Nice/white/bright L4 with Gadget-Lovers L4 prototype dimmer
TWAKed OA3D with Authal dimmer
ARC LSHF-P TYALed/Fraen/611ma/Gadget-Lovers high-low Kroll mod
ARC LSH-P with Gadget-Lovers original moon washer dimmer

Daniel - let me know if you want one of those

Klaus

Frangible

Enlightened

Ooh, I'd be up for trying that. Email sent /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast

Good luck to Frangible and Gadget_Lover on this venture. When GL says he has a workable mod, my PayPal is ready. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Paul

McGizmo

Flashaholic

Hi guys,

I am working on a design for a switch assembly that replaces the "guts" in both the standard E series LOTC as well as the Z57. When used in the standard LOTC, you loose the lock out feature. When installed in the Z57, the lock out feature is retained.

This switch is NOT a clickie. It works in the same manner as the L1 and A2 switch; depress for low level and depress further for high. Screw in a bit for low level and you still have high level available in momentary with further depression of the switch. There are a few precision components in the assembly and I want to be certain of the tolerance issues before I get the components quoted.

Amazingly to me, an electronics dummy, the same switch (resistored at 60 ohms) works well with both buck and boost circuits. I have found it effective on:

L4
BB's and DB's on 1x123 and 2x123 with 1W's, LuxIII's and 5W's
KL1 on either E1 or E2.

I am personally excited at the prospect of using this on the tail standing Z57 of the soon to be available E2D. I have been hopelessly spoiled by the two stage tail switch now and won't go back to the clickie.

Frenchyled

Flashaholic*

Fantastic Don, it's the good news of the day /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif
It's wonderfull if you can have two stage of light in an L4 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

gadget_lover

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
Klaus said:
What Chrisse said - but no news yet - posted some information on it in the thread about my TWAKed OA3D - still not decided which of my 5 dimmable LSs I like best though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

ARC4+ with Pyrex lense and tab
Nice/white/bright L4 with Gadget-Lovers L4 prototype dimmer
TWAKed OA3D with Authal dimmer
ARC LSHF-P TYALed/Fraen/611ma/Gadget-Lovers high-low Kroll mod
ARC LSH-P with Gadget-Lovers original moon washer dimmer

Daniel - let me know if you want one of those

Klaus

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, I'll take your "TWAKed OA3D with Authal dimmer"!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

Ok, I was just kidding. I know what you really meant. I'll send you a PM to arrange for payment of the Authal disc. Many thanks for the offer.

Daniel

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast

the A2 and L1 are dimmed with a resistor as well, so it should work on the L4 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

gadget_lover

Flashaholic

Update.

Frangible sent me his L4, and I was able to add a dim-mode to his Z57. I'm sending it back to him today so he can use and abuse it, locating any weaknesses that were not apparent to me.

The clickie acts just like it always has, except that the lock-out function was lost due to the need to have a contact that rides on the inside of the battery tube. When the tailcap is screwed all the way down, the original parts perform all of their original functions. When you unscrew it a little, it goes into low
mode, with the current flowing through the new contact and a ~60 ohm resistor. The current supplied by the batteries is limited to about 50ma (at 6 volts should be around 1/3 watt supplied, maybe 1/4 getting to the led)

Klaus is the other beta tester. He will get his in a week or so. If both of them report that all is OK in a few weeks, I'll offer to do this for others for a fee.

This is not as elegant as McGizmos' mods. He does BEAUTIFUL work. The
parts are installed in such a way that they can be removed if desired. The light coat of epoxy that protects it can be scraped away after heating.

Daniel

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
gadget_lover said:

. . . If both [beta testers] report that all is OK in a few weeks, I'll offer to do this for others for a fee. . . .

Daniel

[/ QUOTE ]

That's great news Daniel. I'll be waiting in line with the rest of the people cheering you on. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Paul