Removing Dorcy AAA Head

jasonbulb

Newly Enlightened
I found a pretty easy way to remove the head on a Dorcy AAA that won't do any damage to the finish.
I have these promotional mousepads around the house with that strange no slip backing on them. Using two of these, it is a piece of cake just simply twisting the heads off, because they will not slip. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif
Just a thought.
Now, if there was just an easy way to remove the reflector. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Aten_Imago

Banned
Re: Removing Dorcy AAA Head- Or anything...

Try a Dremel Tool at low speed and the super thin 'saw' blade. When all else fails - Try the Dremel !

jasonbulb

Newly Enlightened

Thanks for the tip.
I really didn't have a plan for the little light. I'm still not sure what kind of modding I can do to it. I am a noob modder, but for $5.94, the price was right for destruction. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif
If anyone has any ideas, let me know.

Doug S

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
jasonbulb said:
Thanks for the tip.
I really didn't have a plan for the little light. I'm still not sure what kind of modding I can do to it. I am a noob modder, but for $5.94, the price was right for destruction. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif
If anyone has any ideas, let me know.

[/ QUOTE ]
Here are three threads that may interest you for modding this light:
Here 1
Here 2
Here 3

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast

not really a mod - but maybe an adjustment.

Check your beam - is the pattern nice and even, or kind of off-center?
BeamDorcy1_2.jpg

my 2 Dorcy 1AAA 1LED's - #1 has an uneven beam pattern,
compared to #2 which I "selected" by eyeballing the LED's centering in the reflector through the bubble pack.

Is there a way to adjust the LED's centering in the reflector, and how does it affect the final beam pattern?

refs:
Dorcy 1AAA #2 (vs ArcAAA vs Ultra-G vs Dorcy #1)

Dorcy 1AAA vs. ArcAAA vs. Ultra-G

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast

My head just twisted off. Sounds painfull, I know. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast

Just thought I'd share this - I wanted to try to remove the head of my slightly off centered Dorcy 1AAA (#1) - but found it easily accomplished using a pair of household rubber gloves - as they have very good grip and some cushioning. My Dorcy 1AAA's head was pretty tightly on but the rubber gloves did the trick quite easily.

I then attempted to center the LED in the reflector - by eyeballing and pushing on the LED - but it seem to have very little, if any, effect - either the LED would not budge in the direction I pushed or what I was doing was not effective. But since the LED was soldered on to the circuit board and that sat in those locating slots on the body tube - I tried rotating and re-seating the board with the other orientation in the locating slots.

The beam is still not quite as good as my #2 - but a lot better centered and more even than before.....

I'll take a beamshot comparing with #2 a little later to show the result.