Variable brightness EDC -- Good for close tasks?

MTRun!

Newly Enlightened
Appreciate your help and any thoughts out there on an EDC flashlight with the following:

Key Features: variable brightness – infinite variable preferred or multiple brightness settings that allow me to go from not waking the kids (super low) to working light when attempting camping tasks (bright, but not zombie mode). High CRI preferred.
Size: pocket friendly
Batteries: either CR123, AA, or AAA
Emitter: LED, I don't need crazy high lumens, I am looking for something for night time tasks whether is reading a map or working on the car, and can be used to take decent photos (my old EDC light profile blew out any attempt to take pictures of checks with my mobile deposit banking app – my phone light was even worse).
Flood/Throw: prefer flood performance rather than long throw
User Interface: control ring for light level and clicky on/off is what I had in mind but open to ideas!
Manufacturer: prefer a light that will survive the rigors of an EDC, won't break the first time it is knocked off a table

Thank you for your thoughts!

Random Dan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd look for a Sunwayman V11R. It's pretty much exactly what you are describing.

FSUwelder1212

Newly Enlightened
They aren't infinite brightness or a control ring style but I would think one of Zebralights 1xAA offerings would suit your needs well.

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also I am not sure why there is anything different in relation to close work in any way?

The level of output is just one part of the beam and a clicky and variable output light that are otherwise the same should be the same there too?

And if course the HDS Rotary and Clicky are examples of this too!

Last edited:

Sos24

Enlightened
I highly recommend an HDS Rotary, which is probably one of the best know for control ring. It is not infinite levels, but 24 levels make it close. You can get it with a HI CRI emitter. It is rather expensive, but I didn't see a budget listed.

If you want something less expensive or slightly smaller, I recommend the Jetbeam RRT01. They just came out with a new version and you can get one from SkyLumen with a HI CRI emitter installed.

Last edited:

StarHalo

Flashaholic
+1 for a Zebralight, over the HDS or Sunwayman, because the Zebralight can go much higher and lower than those lights. Once you try 0.1 lumens, you'll find it's what you use the light for ~50% of the time.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
I would say HDS rotary but not sure of your budget. There a little on the pricey side but if you can afford one there hard to beat.

MTRun!

Newly Enlightened
Gentlemen -- this is fantastic. I have looked into a couple of these lights, but wanted to hear your honest thoughts given your experience and bigger view of choices or brands I had never heard of.

MTRun!

Newly Enlightened
I'd look for a Sunwayman V11R. It's pretty much exactly what you are describing.

The Sunwayman V11R sounds like it packs in all the features for a decent price -- unfortunately it looks like they no longer are produced? I guess that is where the second hand market steps in? :)

MTRun!

Newly Enlightened
LRJ88 - I was almost ready to click buy on the Peak Eiger with the High CRI LED. Some the reviews on its Quantum Tunneling Composite however gave me second thoughts long enough to reach out to you all. It seems like a love/hate relationship that people have getting it tuned to the brightness they desire and can jump around a little? That being said, I really like what I see as far as size and features.

MTRun!

Newly Enlightened
+1 for a Zebralight, over the HDS or Sunwayman, because the Zebralight can go much higher and lower than those lights. Once you try 0.1 lumens, you'll find it's what you use the light for ~50% of the time.

FSUwelder1212 and StarHalo -- I will look into the Zebralights. I know next to nothing about their lineup, and will dig in. Have you had any problems/concerns with the clicky interface (sorry if I am using the wrong term)? I like the idea of a control ring over having to cycle through output levels if I want to increase or decrease brightness slightly, but maybe that is more in my head than it is in practice?

MTRun!

Newly Enlightened
I highly recommend an HDS Rotary, which is probably one of the best know for control ring. It is not infinite levels, but 24 levels make it close. You can get it with a HI CRI emitter. It is rather expensive, but I didn't see a budget listed.

If you want something less expensive or slightly smaller, I recommend the Jetbeam RRT01. They just came out with a new version and you can get one from SkyLumen with a HI CRI emitter installed.

SoS24, AVService and Thermal Guy - Glad to hear you say that about the HDS Rotary. I had the opportunity to borrow a friends HDS Rotary and while initially hesitant, I have to say it is at the top of my list. I know they are pricey, but I would rather spend the money on one good light that I love than a drawer full I can live without. Really liking these!

SoS24 -- I will look into the Jetbeam RRT01, great pointer, I did not realize they offered a HI CRI option!

Last edited:

StarHalo

Flashaholic
FSUwelder1212 and StarHalo -- I will look into the Zebralights. I know next to nothing about their lineup, and will dig in. Have you had any problems/concerns with the clicky interface (sorry if I am using the wrong term)? I like the idea of a control ring over having to cycle through output levels if I want to increase or decrease brightness slightly, but maybe that is more in my head than it is in practice?

I've found that when I enter a situation where I need my flashlight, I already have an output mode in mind before I turn on the light; entering a dark garage I already know for example, I know it's a scenario where the output of an old school basic light would be about right, ~60 lumens, that's what the middle mode of my Zebralight is set to - I'm in there in the instant of a double-click. There's no taking a moment to tinker with a control ring to try to figure out where I am on an output scale or what might feel about right, no second hand needed, the flashlight is already on at the correct level the moment I've put my hand on it.

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've found that when I enter a situation where I need my flashlight, I already have an output mode in mind before I turn on the light; entering a dark garage I already know for example, I know it's a scenario where the output of an old school basic light would be about right, ~60 lumens, that's what the middle mode of my Zebralight is set to - I'm in there in the instant of a double-click. There's no taking a moment to tinker with a control ring to try to figure out where I am on an output scale or what might feel about right, no second hand needed, the flashlight is already on at the correct level the moment I've put my hand on it.
I don't disagree and also EDC a ZL always but......

The whole point of the Control Ring lights for me is that it is not even the slightest trouble in any way to just dial up the level I want at any and all times and for me this is exactly the value they present.
Further the ones with a switch on them too make this an even more simple proposition as I can preset the ring before turning them on.
I do not find it anything but intuitive to know about what output level any position of the ring will give me and I would guess that anyone who owns one will quickly adapt to the ring and what it gets them too.

Unless we are talking about the Peak where the mashing of the QTC is anything but predictable in my experience at least.

Having said this I still carry a ZL at all times as they can be so easily programmed to my routines just as you suggest especially the ones with the newer interface where I really can have it just the way I want it!
And I do!

MTRun!

Newly Enlightened
I don't disagree and also EDC a ZL always but......

The whole point of the Control Ring lights for me is that it is not even the slightest trouble in any way to just dial up the level I want at any and all times and for me this is exactly the value they present.
Further the ones with a switch on them too make this an even more simple proposition as I can preset the ring before turning them on.
I do not find it anything but intuitive to know about what output level any position of the ring will give me and I would guess that anyone who owns one will quickly adapt to the ring and what it gets them too.

Unless we are talking about the Peak where the mashing of the QTC is anything but predictable in my experience at least.

Having said this I still carry a ZL at all times as they can be so easily programmed to my routines just as you suggest especially the ones with the newer interface where I really can have it just the way I want it!
And I do!

Great info, I will just have to save up for them all and try them out right?... JetBeam RRT01, HDS Rotary and Zebralights all sound like they could fit the bill. Thank you all!

archimedes

Flashaholic
My brief thoughts on most of the above, which I have used, save the ZL (as I currently have my first of those incoming) ...

SWM - smooth output control, but doesn't feel like the most durable choice

JB - good output control, seems solidly built, but mine has a tint that I find too "cool" (blue)

Peak - in my experience, the simplest and most hardy of all these (fully potted) but nowhere near the level of fine output control of the others

HDS - very large, very expensive, very programmable, very nice, many "limited runs" and options have been available

(ZL - looking forward to trying these out, later this week :) .... )

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic
And just for completeness of discussion, the (discontinued) SureFire T1A Titan might be another option, if you could find new-old-stock or secondhand.

Most of these did have emitters which were pretty blue in tint, however, as does mine.

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
And just for completeness of discussion, the (discontinued) SureFire T1A Titan might be another option, if you could find new-old-stock or secondhand.

Most of these did have emitters which were pretty blue in tint, however, as does mine.

Maybe my most frequently used lights too and of course I forgot to say so?!