Freeloading in Prison

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
that's disgusting /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

if they're going to charge, charge the bad guys!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

naromtap

Enlightened
Blimey - I best start looking over my shoulder as I was WRONGLY arrested & in custody for 17 hours & ended up getting £3,000 in compensation - I knew I shouldn't have excepted those manky dried out cold bake beans - they'll probably claw it all back?!

Greta

Flashaholic
Here in Arizona, a day in jail costs you $55. This is not prison... I'm talking jail. So say you have to do 30 days for a DUI or some "minor" crime, you get a bill for $1650 when you get out... payable to the courts, thankyouverymuch.

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Innocent until proven guilty.....

Although the innocent, when held in jail, are treated exactly like the guilty. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Chengiz

Enlightened
Naromtap, break out the check book and write it. It will save you on the interest later.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
I find this Martian house of mirrors logic simply too wacky to believe. Sort of like getting kicked in the privates and having to pay for your attacker's scuffed shoe leather. I can imagine a future London Times headline:

THE LONDON TIMES - 3 FEBRUARY 2005
Wrongly Convicted Atomic Scientist Freed after 20 years Imprisonment
Forced to pay $120,000 for the privilege of wrongful incarceration, Sir Jeffrey Arch-Spearman, one of Britain's leading nuclear physicists vowed vengeance on a government he no longer recognized as "representative of the beautiful England I once loved"

THE LONDON TIMES - 1 MARCH 2005
British Labour Home Secretary's House Disappears In Mini Mushroom Cloud

Brightnorm

Lebkuecher

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wouldn't believe everything that you read; there is no way that the English can be that stupid. Think about it, if you where that dumb you wouldn't have enough brains to go to the bathroom, you would just explode one day. Keep in mind what you read in some of our press like the National Inquirer

Muppet

Newly Enlightened
The Herald is a real newspaper, and it's a legit story. The British _can_ be that stupid, and frequently are...

They're also a lot further down stripping their population of civil liberties than the USA is - no firearms, no right to self defence, surveilence cameras everywhere... A bad scene indeed.

naromtap

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
brightnorm said:
I find this Martian house of mirrors logic simply too wacky to believe. Sort of like getting kicked in the privates and having to pay for your attacker's scuffed shoe leather.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/martin/article/0,2763,1006188,00.html

THE LONDON TIMES - 3 FEBRUARY 2005
Wrongly Convicted Atomic Scientist Freed after 20 years Imprisonment
Forced to pay $120,000 for the privilege of wrongful incarceration, Sir Jeffrey Arch-Spearman, one of Britain's leading nuclear physicists vowed vengeance on a government he no longer recognized as "representative of the beautiful England I once loved"

THE LONDON TIMES - 1 MARCH 2005
British Labour Home Secretary's House Disappears In Mini Mushroom Cloud

Brightnorm

[/ QUOTE ]

JOshooter

Enlightened
People can be that stupid, just remember the overweight people sueing McDonnald's for not telling them of what the consequenses are.

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
There was another article that I read a few years ago from the UK... Perhaps somebody there can fill in the details and let us know the current status.

There was a major Armored Truck robbery in/near London where 3 or more bad guys with guns were shooting up the area and the guards... As I remember, one of the guards got a hold of one of the bad-guy's guns and started shooting back--and killing at least one of them and saving other lives.

And he was charged with illegal weapons possession and some sort of homicide too. I never could find the story again or what eventually happened to the guard... Anyone know the details?

-Bill