P60 host question

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
So I was lucky enough to get in on the M361 warm 219 group buy a while back and its certainly a prime example of Malkoff quality. So far, I've been hosting it in a Lumen Factory Seraph SP-6. The SP-6 is definitely a quality host with excellent anodizing and plenty of features... Except I just hate the aesthetics or personality or something. Maybe its just the fact that the tail switch is a PITA to fully access from a "ice pick" grip I dunno. Anyways, I want to switch to a different host. I've read a bunch of threads about P60 hosts here but I'm still unsure what would be best for me. The following are my considerations.
1. Durability
2. Cost
3. swithc lock out
4. Lightweight
5. IPX8

At this point I'm really leaning towards a Surefire 6P, but I would need to find somebody to bore it out to accept 18650 cells. Unless this is something I could do on a drill press? Any other suggestions? I don't like the Solarforce L2 series as they do not offer tail switch lock out.

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you don't plan to run it on High most of the time, perhaps you might consider getting a polymer host like a Surefire G2 or a Nextorch GT6A. If you do want the option to run it on High for a long time, then this would be a bad idea since polymer hosts can't dissipate heat like a metal host.

A light-weight metal option would be a VME head on a 16650 MDC body or one of Lumen Factory's E2 bodies. Either option will be slimmer and lighter than a 6P.

--flatline

badtziscool

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was thinking 6P also but do you absolutely need 18650 in there? 16650 cells are available and they have a capacity of 2500mAh. Plenty of runtime for an M361. You also get the benefit of a stronger host and lower cost. Plus, I don't know of anyone who provides quality bore jobs for Surefire lights anymore, so getting an 18650 in there is not as easy as it used to be.

scout24

Flashaholic
Boring a flashlight body isn't something you can do on a drill press. It's precise work, and not all 18650's will fit if you leave enough material under the o-ring groove at the head for strength. Best to have that work done by a machinist with a lathe/ milling machine. If you can find a Leef body, they're great as Archimedes mentioned above. You can't possibly go wrong with Oveready's work either, they are very nice and worthy hosts for that nice Malkoff dropin. I do however second a stock Surefire host (G2 with LIMITED high use, Gene does not recommend running full power dropins in Nitrolon hosts...) as suggested- 16650 should run the comparitively low draw M361 just fine and your initial investment would be low compared to a bored host.

Last edited:

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good suggestions everybody. I don't know why but looking at OR and for Leef bodies never crossed my mind. I'll have to keep an eye up on the sales threads. As for the 16650 option, that would be excellent as I have a number of 6P lights just hanging around with the P60 incan still in place. Too bad I can't find ANY imr 16650's.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
The MD2 is a solid option. Not sure what the budget ceiling is, but at least he wouldn't need the high / low ring. One obstacle is that the tail cap threads are not anodized, so you have to back it off a long way before locking out the switch. You could also loosen the head of the light, but I find that to be awkward.

Nothing wrong with a good old fashioned 6P. I wouldn't be too fussed about the limitation in battery diameter. Today's 26650s are pretty good. If that's going to be the battery choice, then I'd agree with the above recommendation for a Malkoff VME head + a 16650 battery tube. It's like skinny jeans for your M361, plus it has the best pocket clip in the world.

Lumen83

Enlightened
I'll also recommend using a 6P with 16650s. I was running bored 6Ps with 18650s until one of them cracked and broke open where the threads are from the boring. Now I use 16650s which seem to have seemingly almost the same run times. And now I don't have to worry about an over-bored tube failing.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
I run keep power 2500/16650 in all my 2 cell light. Never had a problem with them and runtime is like 15-20 minutes less then my 18650. In a emergency that's a lot but in the everyday world you wouldn't notice it. Great cells

Jose Marin

Enlightened
-Solarforce has a lot of options, already 18mm
-kaidomain KDLITKER E6 the tail doesnt lego with 6p threads though, already 18mm

Last edited:

dotCPF

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you dont have an MD2, and are impressed with Malkoff quality, get an MD2 for sure! A 6P with 16650s isn't bad either, Illumn has 16650s in stock I'm pretty sure.

The MD2 is one of my favorites, with my M361 219 might just be my favorite light.

euroken

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about something like this? If interested, PM me.

tvJYGkK.jpg

BueRUPZ.jpg

nimdabew

Enlightened
I use orbtronic 16650's in my 6P's. When high can't be kept in any longer, I charge them. It usually takes about two weeks to get to that point, but I rotate the flashlights through use.