Dorcy AAA > Ultra G > Dorcy AA??

stockae92

Enlightened
is it just me or dorcy AAA is brighter than Ultra G, and dorcy AA is way behind both of them?

so Dorcy AAA > Ultra G > Dorcy AA?

or did i got a bad dorcy AA?

the docry AAA's beam does have some rings on it but not too bad

paulr

Flashaholic
My Dorcy AA is a little bit brighter than my Ultra-G. I don't have a Dorcy AAA. The Dorcy AA is a nice cheap light, but the Ultra-G is built a heck of a lot better.

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't have a Dorcy 1AA so can't comment on that -
but take a look at this recent thread:

DORCY 1AAA vs. DORCY 1AA

I do have 2x Dorcy 1AAA, 2x Ultra-G and an ArcAAA - and have done comparisons:

Dorcy 1AAA #2 (vs ArcAAA vs Ultra-G vs Dorcy #1)

BeamDorcy2_UltraG.jpg

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
I view the Dorcy AAA like a disposable lighter... no biggie if you lose or damage it - just buy another at low cost. Losing an Arc AA or an Ultra is more like losing a Zippo... maybe worse, since you've got to buy another over the net usually (time and more money).

jbrett14

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
stockae92 said:
is it just me or dorcy AAA is brighter than Ultra G, and dorcy AA is way behind both of them?

[/ QUOTE ]

It is definitely not "just you". I did end up taking my Dorcy AA back and bought 2 more Dorcy AAA's because of my disappointment. The Dorcy AAA has got to win some kind of award (maybe it already did). Dollar for dollar, it's a winner.

Aten_Imago

Banned
Vincent
Nice Dorcy AAA vs Ultra G Beamshots! I love the Dorcy AAA. I'm still on the original battery and I'm on Month 3 already! When is it supposed to become useless light I wonder? I use it for 5 minutes per night times 80 days = That's 6.666 hours so far- still bright enough for moving around my house! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
The hotspot on my Dorcy AA seems slightly brighter and whiter than the AAA. The beam quality of the AA is much smoother than the AAA. Flood on the AAA is definitely wider.

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
stockae92 said:

[/ QUOTE ]

The Dorcy AA should be brighter than both the Dorcy AAA and the Infinity Ultra. (These are the Dorcy lights that I sold you, right?) However, it is an inferior light for two reasons. The first is that the reflector design of the Dorcy AA limits the sidespill beam and probably reduces the total light output below what it would be with a broad reflector. (The reflector of the Dorcy AAA and the original Dorcy 2C is much better.) The second is that the Dorcy AA is relatively large and has three LEDs, but the light output is only 50-100% better than the Dorcy AAA.

You should try a fresh battery in the Dorcy AA.

stockae92

Enlightened
thanks everyone.

and yes asdalton, that's the one that you sold to me (and the dorcy AA should be fine, read on /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif )

i did have a chance to test the ultra G and dorcy AA in fresh batteries last nite and that made a difference.

with a new alkaline (as least i thought it was), the dorcy AA output is still way lower than my ultra G with a used NiMH. (maybe it was a bad alkaline)

after that, i tried them both in a pair of fresh NiMH and the output comes in much closer to each other. with the fresh NiMH, the dorcy gives out a much better output, close or as least the same as the ultra G. i was sleepy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sleepy.gif and couldn't remember which one is brighter. but they are close /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

anyway, here is my take on it. at a lower battery level, the ultra G gives out a better overall output cause it only needs to drive a single LED (vs docry AA needed to drive 3 LEDs, and less efficient internal?)

oh and i agree, the dorcy's are relatively inexpensive. it wouldn't bother me too much if i lost or broke a dorcy. but i wouldn't want the same to happen to my ultra G. i am more emotionally attached to it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

(ps. how to open up a dorcy AA? maybe i can do *something* to the reflector /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif )

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
stockae92 said:
(ps. how to open up a dorcy AA? maybe i can do *something* to the reflector /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif )

[/ QUOTE ]

if you follow the thread above of Dorcy 1AAA vs 1AA you'll note cpf member haveblue has modified the Dorcy 3LED 1AA - I remembered that he had posted a photo of the light disassembled - and using search I found it in thread -
Dorcy 1xAA, 3 LED Review

haveblue's pic hotlinked to here:
dorcy_expl.jpg

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
Hmmmm. I think I need to do some measurements of the AA light output, then taper the sides of the holes in the reflector to see if it's losing a lot of the spill from the reflector design.

Daniel

Aten_Imago

Banned
RE: Dorcy AAA LED
Special offer- I get a beautiful beam modulation ( smoothing ) by using a Lee #257 Quarter Hampshire Frost right over my lens. I'm going to take my D-AAA appart to get that filter inside the lens. If you don't have access to a theatrical supply house I'll gladly sent the first 20 people that ask a free sample just PM your mailing address and/or send me a SASE with an additional 37 cent stamp inside: I also use the Eighth Hampshire Frost on my 'better' lights . It gives you that Pelican Reflector look from the artifacted and concentric-circle beams. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Wingerr

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Aten_Imago said:
RE: Dorcy AAA LED
Special offer- I get a beautiful beam modulation ( smoothing ) by using a Lee #257 Quarter Hampshire Frost right over my lens.

I also use the Eighth Hampshire Frost on my 'better' lights . It gives you that Pelican Reflector look from the artifacted and concentric-circle beams. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

The name alone is intriguing- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif any significance behind the quarter, eighth, and Hampshire Frost?