Hawaii Info Please

Turt

Enlightened
I'm currently looking into plans for my honeymoon in Hawaii (big island) in October. Any advice on must see and must do things?

hyeTotum

Newly Enlightened
Congratulations! Yes -- you're gonna love it. (Marraige AND the Big Island!) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I recommend:

* Watch sunset from Kailua-Kona. (Pray for good juju to witness the illusive "Green Flash!")

* Drink gallons of 100% Kona Coffee. (You can always cure any bladder problems incurred when you are back stateside.)

* See/snorkel with Huge Sea Turtles Turt at Punalu'u Black Sand Beach! (But remember -- Touch a Honu, Go to Prizun /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif)

* Find out where John Keawe will be playing Slack-Key Guitar and Be There!

* Fill nalgene water bottles with 100% Kona Coffee and try to sneak past customs on return flight. (j/k) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

* Stick yore kurser Rite Heer and Press for the Best Dam Kona/Big Island Website AND Forum on The Planet! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

* If you are drinking Your Proper Daily Requirement of 100% Kona Coffee, you will need to begin planning your itinerary around the terlit after the First Day. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smoker5.gif

* It's All Good on The Big Island -- too much to write about! Just Drink 100% Kona Coffee and Get Lei'd! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

God, I wish I was going back! Have Fun and again -- Congrats!!!

daloosh

Flashaholic*,
Wow, congratulations and have a great time! We've never been to the Big Island, but hope to next time we visit Hawaii. Of the three we have visited, Maui is my wife's fave, while I prefer Kauai (Oahu is a distant third).

daloosh

StevieRay

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Turt said:
I'm currently looking into plans for my honeymoon in Hawaii (big island) in October. Any advice on must see and must do things?

[/ QUOTE ]

Be prepared to spend lots of money!
Scuba Diving and/or snorkling is great!

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
- drive to the peak of the inactiv vulcanos to the telescope? station and have a view from top

- have a heli flight over the activ vulcano

- have a hike through the vulcano crater

- stroll around where the lava hits / hit the ocean

- check out the wonderful KOA wood and some arts made from it

- bring plenty of macadamia nuts

Been there and done all that - plenty of fun - stayed near Kona where the Ironman starts and its a nice place there to - all IMHO of course

We should have some residents who might care to comment too ?

Klaus

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
Okay, I have two don't miss activities for you. Whatever you do, don't miss either of these. Some of the big island's most spectacular activites are NOT in kona, so don't spend all your time there (in fact, I haven't been to kona yet!):

1. Stay at least one night at Volcano House, better 2 or 3. Travel agents don't book Volcano house, so you'll need to do it yourself. Do not miss it -- it is on the edge of an enormous caldera, the view is unbelieveable and unmatched, and you spend the next day hiking and driving around the caldera seeing amazing things. Pay the extra $ to stay in a room on the caldera side, the side with the view.

Some quick trips from there: find out where the eruption is. If it's close, check it out. If not, just drive to the end of the road where the ocean is and check it out. Also, off that road, about a mile hike, is a pretty cool collection of petroglyphs carved by ancient Hawaiians in the rock. A good travel book will have details on how to get to both, though I can dig up info if you can't find it.

2. The other must, especially for a flashlight freak: you must find a wild lava tube and hike in it. Not the Thurston lava tube, which has been cleaned and has a walkway through it and is for tourists who impress easily, but a real wild tube [quick note about Thurston tube, though: there's a metal gate at the end of the tube, which is unlocked; if you bring flashlights, you are allowed to open it and continue down the tube]. Going through a real wild tube is one of my wife and my favorite vacation highlights of all time.

Some very good tourbooks mention where the wild tubes are, but if you can't find mention, let me know and I'll dig the info up. Here's what to expect: you're hiking in pitch black darkness (can't see your hand in front of your face if your flashlight is off), on top of sharp shifting lava rocks. The walls are adorned with all kidns of cool mineral deposits. There are a few sections where the formations get tight and you have to squeeze through, but getting through to the other side is worth it. Through the hike there's liquid leaking into the tube and you can imagine the lava pouring through it many years ago. The entire effect is fantastic and almost surreal.

Here's what to take. Take two flashlights each, because if you lose light, you're hosed. Lava tubes are made up of black porous rock that "eat" light, so expect your lights to look much dimmer than usual, even though it's pitch black in the tube. Take water, and I also brought a basic first aid kit in case someone slipped on the rock.

Many people show up at these tubes without a flashlight, so they can't hike in more than 10 yards before they have to turn back, disappointed. You'll be prepared!

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Big Island is awesome. I rented a ragtop and drove all around the perimeter of the island and to the top of Kiluaeh (sp), through the many, many climatic zones that exist in close proximity. I remember hearing that of the 24 climatic zones that exist on Earth, 22 are on the Big Island. I stayed at the Waikaloa Hilton, an awesome spot north of Kona. Eat LOTS of the freshest Ona, Ahi, etc; the food is great there. Waste away at Huggo's On The Rocks in Kona. Enjoy the ocean views, good pub food and drinks, and some live tunes. I spent 2 weeks on the Big Island, and loved every minute of it. I could go on all day about stuff to see, do and enjoy. Congrats and nice choice!

Turt

Enlightened
Wow thanks for all the info! Am looking into all these leads. Keep em coming! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/clap.gif

Brock

Flashaholic
Yup, if you have the $ take a helo ride over the volcano, I will never forget it. We stayed at the Royal Kona, nice place. Drive around and see as much as you can. The big crack is cool, I hope the island doesn't split to soon...

flashfan

Flashlight Enthusiast
For food, you might want to try Roy's in Kona. They're very busy, so make reservations well in advance. Haven't tried them myself (couldn't get seats), so I can't vouch for the food, but the place is highly recommended by the locals...

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
flashfan said:
For food, you might want to try Roy's in Kona. They're very busy, so make reservations well in advance. Haven't tried them myself (couldn't get seats), so I can't vouch for the food, but the place is highly recommended by the locals...

[/ QUOTE ]

Roy's is very good; a good pick.

SFR

Newly Enlightened
I live on Oahu, so I don't have anything to recommend that hasn't been mentioned already. (The last time I visited the Big Island was a few years ago.)

Here are some informational links that I can recommend:

Official Big Island section from the Hawaii Visitors & Convention Bureau: http://bigisland.gohawaii.com/

about.com: http://gohawaii.about.com/od/bigisland/

This Week Magazine: http://www.thisweek.com/bigisland/index.html

Big Island Gold Magazine (Spotlight Hawaii): http://www.spotlighthawaii.com/bigisle.asp

Enjoy island music streaming from Oahu: http://kccnfm100.com/ /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

kubolaw

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Turt said:
What kind of place is Roy's? What type of food etc...???

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess you would call Roy's a pan-asian restaurant or something like that. It's pretty good, but for the true local flavah, I'd rather just get a plate lunch from Kona Mix Plate in the Kopiko shopping center (Kona). I used to like Kim's in the North Kona mall, but I don't think it's there anymore (haven't been to the Big Island for a while, but I'm pretty sure KMP is still around). But I guess Roy's is more suitable as a "romantic" destination. You can also try Sam Choy's for another "celebrity chef" restaurant. Reservations recommended for both Roy's and Sam's. No need reservation for plate lunch! (unless you're trying to get Masa's Massive Plate Lunch on Oahu)

You've got a good list going here. Be sure to visit Volcanoes National Park and see the sights there. Visit the crater and also drive down to the beach and watch the lava pouring into the sea (the heat is intense even from a great distance).

Even if you're not staying at the Hilton Waikoloa, you should check it out. You can ride the boats along the indoor canal or take the trolley to the various shops, although walking along the adjacent footpaths allows you to stop and examine the great collection of Hawaiian art along the walls.

John

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
kubolaw said:
You've got a good list going here. Be sure to visit Volcanoes National Park and see the sights there. Visit the crater and also drive down to the beach and watch the lava pouring into the sea (the heat is intense even from a great distance).

[/ QUOTE ]

The first time I went to the big island, the eruption was happening right at the end of chain-of-craters road, so you could just drive down there. What most people didn't know is that there were ranger tours, where they actually took you out into the roped-off area, and much much closer to where the lava was pouring into the sea. I was walking and crunching volcanic glass surface that hadn't been stepped on yet!

A lifetime thrill. I knew most recommendations would be for Kona, but I think the truly thrilling sights on the big island are nearer Volcano National park: the eruption, the calderas, the lava tubes, spending a night at Volcano House, etc. No matter what else anyone tells you, get down there for at least two full days!

BTW, the last time I went to the big island, the eruption had moved to about four miles from the end of chain-of-craters road, which meant a long hot hike in daytime, or a presumeably dangerous one at night. Anyone know where the eruption is happening now?

Joe

hyeTotum

Newly Enlightened
Yesterday's USGS HVO report (in part /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif)

"0825 May 19
Glow remains visible high on the Kuhio flow or a nearby flow, though the viewing is sporadic as clouds mantle the area quite thickly.

The seaward tip of the Banana flow moved 25 m in the past 24 hours and is weakly active this morning. Back a few tens of meters, however, the activity is noteworthy, a growing tumulus spilling breakout after breakout for all to see. Other places along the Banana, still farther upstream, are also sources of breakouts. In general, the viewing was quite good this morning for the growing number of visitors to the area. During darkness, the distant flow on the coastal flat is readily visible from several places along the Chain of Craters Road between Halona Kahakai and the hairpin bend."

I think HVO's Website has maps, too.