Please remember my wife in prayer

bykfixer

Flashaholic
GP, I was struggling with muscle cramps and chronic dehydration. Taking in lots of fluids helped but the cramps remained. I noted through research that we should have about 4700 mg or something of pottasium each day. Then I noticed my sports drinks only had 35. Uh, that aint enough. I researched potassium rich foods and found that many of my favorite foods have lots of electrolites. No wonder I crave corn on the cob and tuna in summer. Potato skins, tomato paste, cooked spinach……all kinds of foods I got cravings for at times were actually way better for me than those sports drinks. I personally don't dig on avacodos or bannanas but there are tons of foods out there that work just as well.

Best regards.

greenpondmike

Flashlight Enthusiast
GP, I was struggling with muscle cramps and chronic dehydration. Taking in lots of fluids helped but the cramps remained. I noted through research that we should have about 4700 mg or something of pottasium each day. Then I noticed my sports drinks only had 35. Uh, that aint enough. I researched potassium rich foods and found that many of my favorite foods have lots of electrolites. No wonder I crave corn on the cob and tuna in summer. Potato skins, tomato paste, cooked spinach……all kinds of foods I got cravings for at times were actually way better for me than those sports drinks. I personally don't dig on avacodos or bannanas but there are tons of foods out there that work just as well.

Best regards.

Yeah, its best to get what our body needs naturally. I'm friends with a cherokee lady who is an herbalist. She taught me to drink half your body weight in ounces of water every day. For me that would be over a gallon and sometimes I meet my goal, but most times I don't. I try to get Melvinia to drink water, but she likes her cold drinks which don't hydrate her like water does.
I found out if I have cramps they will go away if I drink some water. I used to take potassium and magnesium when I got them, but water seems to work better now. Melvinia likes guacamole, so she'll eat avocados if they are spiced up. I eat them spiced or plain- they just cost so much. If they were cheaper we would probably be eating them all the time.
I like most of the foods you mentioned bykfixer, but Melvinia is very picky. I have introduced her to new foods, but I can't seem to get her to like greens. I think eating lots of green stuff is why my family on my mother's side have lived long lives.
She does like corn though.
I quit eating tuna over the summer because it made me hotter while working dayshift, but now that its cooler I'm back eating it again- if only she would.

greenpondmike

Flashlight Enthusiast
"I think eating lots of green stuff is why my family on my mother's side have lived long lives."

My 94 year old mother would agree with you!

Years ago I used to buy different types of raw greens and put them in the blender along with some water and olive oil and different seasonings. I guess you could call it a vegetable shake. It wasn't bad and I felt better back then and also got around better than I do now.

greenpondmike

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was going to post an update and tell you all that she hasn't touched a cigarette since she went into the hospital.
Well, I'm glad I put it off because she has. I wondered why her breathing was getting worse and why she was having to do more breathing treatments.
I was so proud of her, but come to find out she was lieing to me. I don't know when she started back or how much she is smoking.
I really didn't want to post this thread because I was afraid that it would look like I just wanted attention, but I wanted her prayed for. I believe in the power of prayer from righteous folks and I believe in spoken blessings from everyone.
Your prayers and blessings worked. She got way better than she was when she got out of the hospital in September of 2014 from that auto accident she had (concerning the crup). She was also looking younger and all that swelling from this most recent hospital visit seems to be gone.
I believe that though prayer she was given a new lease on life. I should have asked you all to keep on praying for her, except that now to pray for her will to stay stopped would be strong enough to overcome those urges.
I don't care if she chews tobacco as long as she gets away from that smoke. A patch is better though. I never wanted a snuff dipping woman, but they tend to live a long time and I don't think I've heard of a woman that takes a pinch of snuff every now and then dieing from it.
Never dreamed of having a woman that did that, but if it will cause her to live longer I welcome it as long as she practices good daily oral hygiene. I'm not trying to be funny or goofy here- these are my honest thoughts. Unless her heart gives out (she was born with a bad heart chamber- the valve) or her lungs go bad from all the previous smoking I think she might live 30-40 more years if she switches to some oral form of tobacco. I don't know about vaping since some folks have died from that also. I just figure that if she wants nicotine she doesn't need to inhale it because her lungs have had enough of that trash.
Please don't give up on praying for her and I will pray and nag her. Thank you for the prayers and blessings.
I have willfully tried to divorce from any since of humor in this thread because the focus is on Melvinia, not me.
Thanks again....

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has she made a decision to do a 12-Step program, Nicotine Anonymous? They have the solution that works.

I am glad that she is doing better.

greenpondmike

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wish she would Richbuff.
That's true Poppy. I was angry when I found out and I probably hurt her feelings. Stubborn Green Pond female.:hairpull:

Thanks raggie33.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
GP, perhaps sit down with her to discover the triggers that (often) cause a smoker to light up.

I have habits like after a meal, when talking on the phone or drinking certain beverages like coffee. I replaced coffee with orange juice or unsweetened tea. I vape while talking on the phone and after meals. But if you guys can figure out what triggers the urge to smoke perhaps you can figure out alternatives to those things to change habits (often unconcious in nature) and that can lead to smoking less a little here, a little there.

A coworker of mine stopped smoking in 1974 and has an occasional beer at times like after cutting grass. He says to this day when he twists the top off a beer bottle he pats his chest looking for the pack of cigarettes in his shirt pocket. He said switching to canned beer stopped that.

greenpondmike

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good ideal bykfixer, I'll try. She doesn't drink much coffee, but she drinks cold drinks like they're water- a lot of caffeine in those drinks.
She is also haunted by some bad memories from the past.

Last edited:

greenpondmike

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, I think it's been about 2 weeks since she last smoked. She may have a weaker immune system because of the recent antibiotics, but she is worse than she was when she went in the last time. I don't know if it is the corona or not, but I'm thinking about making her go back in the hospital. She has a doctor appointment Monday and she is on the sliding fee. If the doctor admits her it would be cheaper. I don't think I should wait till then.

greenpondmike

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, she's back at UAB medical west. They took her right back to the back before I even got the truck parked or filled out her info. Come to think of it all that should be on file from last time. I'm more worried about her this time. She had to rest and get her breath before getting in the truck. She says she's fine- yeah, right.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
With covid-19 nearly always comes with a fever of 100 or more mike.

Perhaps it's an allergy to mold spores, seasonal pollens, pet dander or dust mite scat. One year I had a head cold I did not take care of and ended up becoming asthsmatic after. I can easily tell when ragweed pollens get going now or when we haven't vacuumed in a few days the dander from the dogs causes my lungs to sound like Bob Dylan trying to play a harmonica. I take claretin nearly year round now where it used to be a spring/fall thing.

Hope all is well soon.

greenpondmike

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you stu and bykfixer. She called this morning and said that the doctor said something about weak or damaged heart muscles on top of her heart. I would like to know more about that. She doesn't have pneumonia, but she doesn't know about bronchitis yet. Something in the trailer might be hurting her. I think black mold affects me and we do have leaks, but I'm breathing alright, so I don't know if it is that. Probably going to have to get a cheap camper trailer somewhere and just use our trailer for storage. It's too far gone to fix I think unless we can somehow fix the roof and put in a suspended ceiling.

Poppy

Flashaholic
That Flex Seal product is an amazing product. I have a vinyl roof on my car and it started to crack. I painted it with flex seal and it filled the cracks, and remains flexible enough that I can put my kayaks on top and it doesn't crack.

ACtC-3fDzt_SzeIdtTlpo9frFO_80fDQ94RLW7JRzGjU_gIZDexDqf9E2xCgh6vczHru1JZmy8DWXPkjuk-cie-9ESGBNqOA2BurDWt6-G2n8tm67vLmIaS3rzYUdMZ4RXCBP7znCVS8gSo7lC83byNO-l6h=w852-h789-no

My Hurricane motor home had a rubber roof, and it would have been a perfect repair for it if it had leaked.

Good luck.

greenpondmike

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's a good ideal, Poppy. I think my roof might be a little beyond that though. I have some holes in my roof. The pine straw caused it to rust. A third of it has a heavy duty tarp that a church group put over it. It was doing fine till a friend offered to get the pine straw off while I was at work. My wife let him and he walked all over the roof doing that. Now part of the ceiling has collapsed in the kitchen from leaks. In the past when I was able I fixed the roof on our former trailer by spreading clear silicone on the suspected areas and if I found a hole I would put silicone around it, press in a piece of paper and silicone over it. Seemed to last till we got this new trailer. I didn't want to get rid of the old one- I liked it and its crank out high windows and it still had the wheels and axles. They took the axles on this one after they brought it. The plumbing, floors and walls are still good though. A lot of the electrical outlets don't work anymore and neither do the lights on half of it. I use a drop light and extention cord in the living room. It is hung over the blade of an old ceiling fan. It puts out light just like the original one did. I wonder if rats chewed on the wiring. If we don't know visitors well enough we don't even let them come in because we are ashamed of the inside.

Last edited: