Please remember my wife in prayer

greenpondmike

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm back. They are trying to get her oxygen level up. They didn't let me see her or even talk to her nurse. I wrote down some of her medical history and how long she's been smoking. They are going to run some more tests on her. She talks good on the phone. I went home since I couldn't see her or do anything to help. I'm going to try to go on into work tomorrow. I was relieved 40 minutes late tonight. Going to try to get some sleep. I sure thank you all praying and caring. Sorry if my writing seems weird. I think the prayers are working. They are real concerned about her lungs and not telling her why. I thought doctors used to be straight up with patients. They are so secretive

greenpondmike

Flashlight Enthusiast
Poppy, I have a car charger somewhere in the trailer but I don't have a cigar lighter in my truck. Thanks for letting me that though. My sister in law charged my phone a little and I had to give her a jump off before we left the hospital because it drained her battery.

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
Those damn COVID linked limitations... When the most she needs now is you. Wish your wifie swift recovery and your love.

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mike, The doctors will know more, and answers to your questions, after tests. They'll surely let you know the results

I don't think anything weird about getting support from CPF brothers!

greenpondmike

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you all. I just learned that she had bronchitis. I'm not sure if all the test results are in yet. If that is all, that's probably the worse case of bronchitis I've ever heard of.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Done.

Thanks for the updates. Bronchitis aint no joke. Glad she's ok.
It's pnuemonias evil cousin and can make your face turn the darndest shades of blues and purples until it's under control. Before penecilin it used to kill people. Uncontrolled, pnuemonia sets in and next thing you know it's the bone factory……

My youngest used to get it from time to time. We used to run a cold shower and poke his head behind the curtain at the opposite end and that would relieve enough for those funky colors in his face to return to normal. Scared the ****ens out of us more than once. But the doctor reccomended cold shower trick really well until we could get him medicine.

Your wife may need breathing treatments after this.

Last edited:

raggie33

*the raggedier*
try to get her to give up smoking. it sure will make her recovery easier

greenpondmike

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've tried to get her to quit reggie33. I even suggested she chew tobacco or dip. My reasoning was that at least that way there would be no smoke going into her lungs. I have heard that at least with females, quitting cigarettes is harder because it is more than being addicted to nicotine- there is also an emotional attachment.
Bykfixer, I wonder if bronchitis is what they called the crupe in the old days. They are giving her breathing treatments at the hospital and she is eating well. UAB MEDICAL WEST sure has some good food. She has a breathing treatment machine here at home along with the stuff you put in it.
They are at least going to keep her another night if not longer. They are giving her steroids and I assume they are also giving her antibiotics. Doctors aren't real good at telling her what's all going on. They told her to quit smoking, but hasn't said anything about her chest x-ray.
Feels weird being here without her. I thank you all for continuing to pray for her.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Yup, crupe is a bronchitis symptom. Apparently bronchial pnuemonia is very possible with a crupe.
When I was a lad the conventional wisdom for crupe was a vaporizer or some other method of steam in the room. But when my youngest got it at oh, I dunno 3 years old the doctor said use cool mist. Later on when my wife's son awoke with a crupe at 2am we tried the cool mist thing and it helped him too. One year I was advised by my doctor that I had bronchitis after going to see him because I just couldn't shake a head cold. I did not have a crupe or even a bad cough just a chronic low grade fever for a couple of weeks. He said "take three weeks off from work" as he looked away writing a prescription. i said "can't boss I'm running the place by myself". He snapped his head around and says "want that on your tombstone?" Nuf said. He called it walking bronchial pnuemonia.

Maybe a juul would be something Mrs Greenpond would take to over cigarettes?

Last edited:

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have several 12 step meetings at the meeting hall that I operate. The room is full of people who are fully aware that if they do not stop and stay stopped, that they will be going to prison or Heaven very soon. They do not have the willpower to simply just stay stopped. They must get connected to a greater power in order for that to happen. See: Romans 7: 15-25

greenpondmike

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the first step is she's got to want to quit. All the females in that family smoke except for one and she's only kin through marriage. Seems like smoking is a form of fellowship among women like beer drinking is among some males. I'm not downing anyone that drinks- I just chose not to do it myself.
What is a juul? Seems like I ought to know, but my mind is drawing a blank.

Johnnyh

Enlightened
I think the first step is she's got to want to quit. All the females in that family smoke except for one and she's only kin through marriage. Seems like smoking is a form of fellowship among women like beer drinking is among some males. I'm not downing anyone that drinks- I just chose not to do it myself.

A Juul is an electronic cigarette...a vaping device.

Poppy

Flashaholic

THIS!

Beyond that there are nicotine patches to get past the nicotine addiction. The rest is willpower, and if needed support groups/counseling.

In today's day and age, and the warnings for forty years against smoking, if a person has such lung damage that they need a nebulizer, or asthma inhaler, and they continue to smoke, I have no sympathy. If they won't care about themselves, then neither will I.

My mother in law continued to smoke after being diagnosed with lung cancer. It killed her.
My wife suffered terribly after her death.

My brother has his father-in-law living with him, in his living room. He has very serious COPD and other issues. He doesn't get off the couch, except to go to the bathroom, or outside to have a smoke.
My brother's wife (and therefore so is he) is strapped to the house, because of the guilt she would feel if he needed someone to call an ambulance, and she wasn't there to do it for him. Both she and my brother are EMTs, and have seen many people go south very quickly.

Being a family thing... stupidity certainly runs in families.
The gent I spoke of above had a brother, also with COPD. He came to visit and couldn't climb the five steps, without having to stop and catch his breath. When he got to the top step, he didn't ring the door bell. He had to light up a smoke first!

If your wife is a religious person, remind her that God according to Moses, said
"Thou shalt not kill"
We know that smoking causes lung damage that results in a slow death.
If God considers that suicide, I don't know, but one could make that argument.

Hopefully she is a God fearing woman.
Good luck.
Poppy

raggie33

*the raggedier*
Here in my town at every red light there is 100s of cigarette butts I used to clean them up . but with covid

raggie33

*the raggedier*
Green we care about you and wife just giving some tough love. My mom smoked in the 70s and 80s . she died from smoking in 2004 I hate tobacco