Class 2: Arc-AA 8mm ISP + Micro-P Multi Brightness

djpark

Enlightened
Introducing Arc-AA MOD with 8mm Power LED from ISP
and PIC12F675 Micro Processor controlled Multi-Brightness Control
running on 14500 (AA sized) Li-Ion Rechargeable Battery!!

arc-aa-8mm-power.jpg

arc-aa-8mm-bunch.jpg

Goal of this MOD

<ul type="square"> [*]Minimum 5 hours bright current regulated light
[*]Minimum 24 hours of useful light (with dim mode)
[*]Multiple brightness control using PWM with micro processor
[*]Follow Arc-AA design philosophy as EDC
[*]Minimal physical modification to the original head with limited tools
[*]No fancy stuff due to limited space in the light head
[*]As simple operation as possible for practical use [/list]
Result

After having done quite a few mods to Arc-AA and Arc-AAA with various LEDs from ISP, the only possible way for me (as an amateur modder) to provide much brighter light from these lights is to provide higher battery voltage. So I decided to try on using Li-Ion rechargeable battery.
I went through many different design experiments and finally decided to stick to version 3.1 below. The final result is as follow.

<ul type="square"> [*]5.5 hours almost flat current regulated bright output (130mA) with high brightness mode
[*]Over 48 hours useful light (15mA) to half brightness with low brightness mode
[*]Simple high / low alternating brightness control (I did try 3 levels, but found that it is not very practical)
[/list]
R&D Versions and Runtime

Various stages of the R&D design and the run time charts are provided below. The version 4 and 5 are discarded and the current version is 3.1.

I put the battery retainer ring at the bottom of the body rather than stick to the head. This provided smoother turning of the head and also some pressure I needed to keep the led assembly firmly touching the head for better electrical contact.

Version 1 - Direct drive with series resistor

Just simple series register (3.3 ohm) provided about 5.5 hours of gently declining brightness with 14430 Li-Ion cell. This smooth curve is attributed to the Li-Ion cell characteristic.

arc-aa-8mm-head.jpg

arc-aa-8mm-dd.gif

Version 2 - Current regulation using FET + transistor

I used DIY circuit provided by "UK Owl" ( here ). Since I didn't have SMT 3.3 ohm resistor at that time, I used normal one as sense resistor (left in the picture below). The right hand side one is the direct drive version.

In fact, the run time was shorter than the direct drive using same 14430 cell (4.5 hours) and the regulation doesn't seem to be effective. I beleive that the poor regulation is caused by the combination of the components requiring bigger drop out. When the same unit was used with 4 pieces of NiMh batteries, the result was beatiful (11.5 hours very flat output), so I know the circuit actually works.

arc-aa-v2.gif

arc-aa-8mm-cr.gif

Version 3 - Version 2 + PIC dual brightness control

Based on the same current regulator circuit used in version 2 and added PIC12F675 micro-P to control the brightness with PWM. This time, I used all SMT components only in very tight arrangement. I also used an LED with quite low Vf (3.3V). this gave me 130mA current consumption during the regulation.

The result is much better. I got 2 hours flat regulation and another 2 hours gradual declining brightness to 80% followed by 1 hour of quick dimming into the moon mode using 14430 cell. Medium level (30%) duty cycle gave me over 14 hours of reasonably smooth output before falling to the moon mode. With low brightness mode, I stopped after 53 hours with half brightness of the original brightness (10% duty cycle).

After carrying it around a few days, I found that having 3 brightness levels is actually troublesome. So I changed to simple high and low only dual brightness as final version.

Towards the end of this version, I received 14500 Li-Ion rechargeable cells from a manufaturer and decided to try to compare the capacity with 14430 cell I used so far. As in the run time chart below, I got 3 hours flat current regulated output and another 3 hours drop to 80% followed by quick dimming into the moon mode. That's quite impressive.

arc-aa-v3.gif

arc-aa-8mm-v3-plug.jpg

arc-aa-8mm-pic-14500-high.gif

Version 4 - PIC micro-P current regulation

PIC12F675 has an analog comparator which can output digital signal high or low depending on the voltage comparison and I thought it could be a good way to control the current regulation. Since the output is digital, it will actually cut off the power when the current is too high and immediately switch on again when the voltage drops. It worked quite well, it is a kind of PFM control. But when I combined it with PWM for brightness control, somehow I couldn't get it working correctly with some flickering, possible due to the lack of RC or LC to filter the output.

Besides, needed a zener diode to provide the absolute voltage reference and this took space in the head. <font color="red"> So this version is dropped.</font>

arc-aa-v4.gif

Version 5 - LDO regulator + PIC 3 stage brightness

I wanted to try using LDO regulator to provide 3.3V output from the battery voltage 4-3.5V and using an LED with Vf 3.3V or below. On the bread board it worked quite acceptable. With reduced components count, I could also put a schottkey diode and 47uF capacitor to hold some charges during momentary power off to select the brightness level. Everything seemed fine till I found that the current output from the regulator I used is not big enough to drive the LED over the specification, I got about 80mA only. <font color="red"> So this design is also dropped.</font>

arc-aa-v5.gif

<font color="blue"> Version 3.1 - Version 3 + 8mm Power LED </font>

Around this time, I received some newer Power LEDs from ISP, Korea. These 8mm LEDs are using a single die and rated at 150mA current. The output is very white and has quite low Vf (3.2-3.4V). So I took one piece with Vf about 3.2V and put to the same head I made for version 3.

The current consumption at high mode is still 130mA, this means that the current regulation works fine. If I change the sense resistor to 2.2ohm instead of 3.3ohm, I would get about 200mA.

With the lower LED Vf, I could get much longer run time under regulation -- full 5.5 hours flat output under regulation till the battery voltage dropped to 3.55V. Also the XY plot confirms that the current regulation is done till the battery voltage 3.55V.

The small increase of brightness as time progress is caused by the ambient light, I started measuring at 2AM and finished at 10AM.

arc-aa-8mm-power.gif

arc-aa-8mm-power-xy.gif

Battery

I am using these batteries. (700mAH)

li-ion-14500.jpg

Charger

And I use this home made battery charger.

li-ion-charger-41.jpg

Beam shots

Finally some beam shots. The left one is a standard (unmodded) Arc-AA with a new battery and the right is version 3.1 with fully charged cell on high brightness mode.

Wall at 50cm distance (1 sec F2.8)

arc-aa-8mm-beam-50cm.jpg

Wall at 1m distance (1 sec F2.8)

arc-aa-8mm-beam-1m.jpg

Wall at 2m distance (1 sec F2.8)

arc-aa-8mm-beam-2m.jpg

Bed at 2m distance (4sec F2.8)

arc-aa-8mm-bed-2m.jpg

Aircon at 3m distance (4sec F2.8)

arc-aa-8mm-aircon-3m.jpg

Thank you for viewing.

-- dj

jtice

Flashaholic
........ that is absolutely amazing !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thats it , you win /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif

How do you switch between the 2 brightness levels?

and, when are they gonna be for sale !!!???!!??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I have modded an Arc AA with mm lite, and 1W LS, it was ok, but i wasnt impressed with the output.
This seems like a very good alternative. And no lens or optic is needed.

dabiscake

Newly Enlightened
Impressive work... must have taken a lot of time to fiddle with the different designs, but result is most worth it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

djpark

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
jtice said:
........ that is absolutely amazing !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thats it , you win /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif

How do you switch between the 2 brightness levels?

and, when are they gonna be for sale !!!???!!??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I have modded an Arc AA with mm lite, and 1W LS, it was ok, but i wasnt impressed with the output.
This seems like a very good alternative. And no lens or optic is needed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, thanks!! I shall really thank you for triggering me with challenge to do this mod via PM exchanges.

I took two different ways to switch the brightness.

1) turn on light => switch to alternating (or next) brightness level

I save the current brightness mode in the PIC flash and change to next level when turned on again.

This method does not require additional parts and is suitable for AA/AAA mod with limited space.

Since it is always alternating brightness level, more than 2 levels are not practical.

2) turn on light => always start with dim mode, momentary turn off and turn on will move to next brightness level and cycle through.

This method does not use flash, but uses RAM and also need a capacitor (at least 47uF) and diode to keep some charge to run PIC (in sleep mode) during the momentary turning off (less than 0.5 second).

Since always start from the dim mode, 3 levels of brightness (10%, 30% and 100%) were very practical.

However, this design requires extra parts and only feasible with LDO design (without FET and transistor).

As the output is not very impressive, I dropped this idea, but I will implement it to Arc-LSH.

-- dj

sebast

Enlightened
Really impressive, a wonderful EDC! Paypal ready!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

djpark

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
dabiscake said:
Impressive work... must have taken a lot of time to fiddle with the different designs, but result is most worth it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, really took some time to try out different designs. Or else, I would never be satisfied with UK Own's current regulation thinking that LDO or PIC regulation could be better. Likewise I imagined 3 brightness levels are better till I carry around to find out that it is more practical to have 2 levels.

But I am still going to go on a little further. I wish to change the N-channel FET and NPN to P-channel and PNP so that led cathode can be grounded to the casing to transfer heat better, then I will push the led current to 200mA.

-- dj

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Impressive mod! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif Verrrry nice! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

nexro

Enlightened
Very impressive mod.
I am sure I will be seeing more of this when I meet you (hopefully soon) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
PayPal ready too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Class 2: Arc-AA 8mm ISP + Micro-P Multi Bright

WOW!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast

This is terrific work, and thank you for the great photos plus detailed writeup! It's really nice to help some of us less electrically gifted folks understand how things like this get done. You should be very proud of your creation! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast

As I said before DJ, you absolutely blew everyone away! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif Terrific job!!! Can't wait to see the real thing... So, when are we meeting up again? BTW, PP ready! :p

Kevin Tan

Enlightened

You have got every thing!! Is there anything that u havent thought of? Great Mod. My cash is waiting....

L

LITEmania

DJ : Emperor in MOD.
DZ : Emperor in review optic

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast

DJ,

Can this 2 stage board handle more than 500ma?

Any chance on offering a 2-stage board as a sort of daughter board for other mods?

djpark

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Lux Luthor said:
DJ,

Can this 2 stage board handle more than 500ma?

Any chance on offering a 2-stage board as a sort of daughter board for other mods?

[/ QUOTE ]

LL,

By changing the sense resistor to a smaller one, you can increase the current. The sense voltage (around 0.5V) varies with different transistor used and you will need to find out from experiments.

This circuit is basically a linear regulator and it will work as long as input voltage is higher than output voltage by more than 0.5V++. I find it perfect to use with 4 NiMh rechargeable, it goes regulated to the end of charged capacity.

I don't have immediate plan to offer anything as this has been a hobby and the regulation circuit itself is from UK Owl. Besides I can't afford the risk of misled demand estimate in doing something commercially. But perhaps, someday I might offer something, or I might provide some kind of DIY instruction.

-- dj

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks.

So it sounds like atleast in principle it could be done for larger flashlights. That would be kind of nice. Just plug in another board, and you've got 2-stage switching. I'm sure eventually someone will sell such a thing. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

McGizmo

Flashaholic

Late to the party here but like the others have said, Cool!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif Very comprehensive and detailed. Great job! Most important, thanks for sharing your work and ideas!

- Don

djpark

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Lux Luthor said:
Thanks.

So it sounds like atleast in principle it could be done for larger flashlights. That would be kind of nice. Just plug in another board, and you've got 2-stage switching. I'm sure eventually someone will sell such a thing. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

The main reason I wouldn't really want to produce in volume or to offer as a product is that "I do not wish to make money out of the hobby." Besides, this labor intensive hobby is somewhat affecting my job performance. But, who knows, I might...

I do not want to get myself making circuit for others since it is simple and easily can be made. I guess I may be able to provide pre-programmed PIC for those who can solder. Any light circuit which has logic level "enable" or "shutdown" pin can be connected to control the output.

Or better still, I will make the PIC hex file available. Then those who can source PIC themselves can burn it.

-- dj