more surefire advice needed

Do you cut off the bulb post when using your Hotlips-D?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• Yes

• No

• Total voters

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, just found out that the semi auto shotgun I am getting WILL accept a surefire dedicated forend. I have been given a price on one in 9v configuration.

The price on the 9v is going to be more than getting the L90 and switch, but will be very close to the price of the set up with the mount I would get seperatly, difference will be about $55.00 give or take a bit.

One thing I do not like about the dedicated forends is the that the lamp assembly hangs below the whole barrel/mag tube. To me this is just wrong, the rig becomes less compact vertically . In my patrol car we do not have gun brackets so the gun will sit on the bezel of the light with the stock on the seat.
The lamp assembly in this configuration also can become snagged on things in the field if I was to have the shotgun out in the field while tracking perps on the ground. I think it would also have the tendancy to get banged around more, and the model I was quoted a price on is the one without a kill switch so accidental activation while in storage is a big concern

On the other hand, the L90 requires the use of a wire switch, this can be slightly problamatic as the wire can get tangled ( I would use electrical tape to secure it to the gun). The up side to this is that the light can be mounted in any configuration on the side or below the magazine tube making for a much more compact package. The switch I would use is the one where you can unplug it from the cap so accidental activation is of no concern. Also the L90 has the batteries set up so they can only be mounted from the rear effectivly giving more shock isolation. I don't know if this true of the dedicated forends.

Anyway, now I have another dilema. so I'm going to post a poll and see what opinions are voiced

haley1

Enlightened
For myself, I like the classic series as you can change them out to different weapons should the need or want ever arise. I use one on my M-4 but with a different mount I could put it on any weapon I choose. With a shotgun several makers manufacture mounts that will work with the SF lights and they're a lot cheaper. I know Cabela's sells several and with the resources in your area it wouldn't be difficult to find.

Size15's

Flashaholic
The L90 is a Lamp Module. It features the Z32 Shock Isolated Bezel with P90 Lamp Assembly and a Lamp Module Housing that holds two SF123As or 66% of an SF323AC. The L90 screws into the Universal Housing (A21) which holds the third SF123A required (or the rest of the SF323AC).
Onto the A21 is screwed the TailCap which features the desired switch option. I will not go into those at the moment.

The L90 with A21 and TailCap switch [option] is known as the 950- Universal WeaponLight.

The L90 can also screw into the WeaponLight Forend Housing.

What I'm getting at is that it's the same shock isolated / battery isolated WeaponLight whether you get a "universal" or "dedicated" WeaponLight.

As you have said, there are advantages and disadvantages.

I tend to see the dedicated WeaponLight route as better.
1) Always on the firearm.
2) Switching options mean there are no exposed wires.
3) Below the barrel and forward means that the barrel shadow is cast upwards.
4) WeaponLight projects the barrel from impact and raises it from the dirt etc. Bezels are easy to replace.
5) Under the barrel means ambidextrous cornering.
6) Dedicated forends come with tape switch blockers (Z10) which can be used to cover part of the switch to reduce accidental light activation.

How does that sound?

Al

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds more confusing all the time. About all I know at the moment is I want 9v
I have been quoted around $255.00 plus shipping on the 9v dedicated weapon light. It will be more for the FGA version but hey, if your going to get something get the best. And, it's tax deductable for me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif