E2E with Pila 3.7v lamp

pizzajoe62

Newly Enlightened
hello everyone!
this is my 1st post since joining the forum.
i don't own an E2E but love to have one.
i'd prefer it to be recharegable and the pila 3.7v lamp comes to mind.
reason being, i prefer incandescent over led.
i'd love to hear any suggestions as to how i could get this to work.
BTW glad to be here & learn as much about lights.

akula88

Enlightened
Kabayan, SF E2e uses different type of Lamp Assembly compared with the Pila 3.7v Lamp. The Pila is a fit for the SF 6P/C2/Z2/G2 series.

E2e uses smaller body and different head vs that of 6P series.

Regards,

akula88

Enlightened
Forgot to welcome you... Maayong Adlaw nimo /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

There would be a way to run Pila LAs on E2e bodies...

Pictures speaks a thousand words...

e2e_disassy.jpg

Description :
1. E2e Bezel (Hard Anodize) (head housing for E2e flashlights)
2. 6P-Black Bezel (Hex Type) head housing for 6P/C2/Z2/D2 flashlights
2a. similar to 6P but older non-hex version

3. E2e 6Volt lamp
4. Pila 3.7 Lamp
5. P60 6Volt lamp for 6P series

6. DSpeck E2C (C2/6P series head adapter to E-series bodies)
[italic]this is a custom part available occasionally at CPF Buy&Sell Forum (BST)[/italic]

7. CR123A battery
8. Pila 3.7 LiIon Rechargable battery -- this is a long battery that is equivalent to the lenght of TWO CR123A

9. E2e / L4 bodies and tailcap

Part 1 + 3 + 7 + 9 makes up a standard E2e
Part 2 + 4 + 6 + 8 + 9 makes up an E2e running a Pila 3.7 Lamp on a 6P bezel.
Part 2 + 5 + 6 + 7 + 9 makes an E2e running a P60 or P61 (105Lumens). A small bright but battery-sucking light.

HTH,

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
What we need is a modified lamp assembly that can hold a bi-pin 3.7V lamp (something from Welch Allyn for instance). I've tried modding one and using a stinger lamp but it was too yellow. Haven't tried any other lamps since then. I've been using a C2 with a Pila lamp, body bored out to take the higher capacity 18650 cells. I think the 17670 cells just don't have the oomph to power high performance current sucking 3.7V lamps.

CM

akula88

Enlightened
CM,
Is it possible to bore out 6P/D2 bodies for Pila 168A?
I think it would be impossible to do that with a Z2 because of the combat grip depression.

How much capacity does the Li 18650 have? Can you charge it with a Pila charger?

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
akula88,

Pretty sure you can bore out the 6P/D2. I have an old 6Z which is a predecessor of the Z2 and my measurements say affirmative also. If you measure the diameter of the thin part, there appears to be enough structure left if you shave off 2mm.

18650 cells typically have 2AH of capacity. I'm not talking about older ones which are easily obtainable from old cell phone batts, these are current generation ones. Panasonic has 2200mAH, IIRC, and LG makes 2400mAH ones. The Pila's are 1800mAH and it makes a bit of a difference when running the high current lamps. My favorite is the Panasonic which I got from www.slavin4u.com I use a home made charger that uses the Linear Tech 4054 IC. There are other commercially available chargers that can charge bare cells like the Lenmar. I do not recommend bare cells unless you know absolutely sure of what you're doing. Stick with the 168A if you have any doubts. It has adequate capacity to run the Pilas with respectable runtime though I do notice yellowing starts sooner with the 1800mAH capacity vs the higher capacity cells. Stay safe.

CM

pizzajoe62

Newly Enlightened
akula88 SALAMAT GID KABAYAN!!!
the e2c + p or c bezel makes it much longer though makes it a lot easier. great photo layout, appreciate it.
i'm no expert in modding but willing to learn.
i like the idea of CM coming up with a modified module to host the pila 3.7v bulb.
this way i can keep the stock dimension & appearance of the E2E.
watchantink??

pizzajoe62

Newly Enlightened
hey CM,
thanks for the info.
i'm thinking along the same line of thought, a modded E module but with the pila 3.7v bulb.
this will most likely give a better performance overall.
how to do it...i don't know...
keeping the original lenght & bezel is what i prefer.
about the battery talk...i have no idea what its all about.
this is all new to me.
let us know what you can come up with.
thanks again.

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
pizzajoe,

Transplanting the lamp from the Pila to the E2e looks like a painful proposition since the lamp is more or less integrated with the holder. Attempting removal may result in breakage. Easiest is to just modify the E2e lamp assembly and use a bulb for the Streamlight Stinger. I did one of these and so did Chop (a while back) However, the smaller cell that can fit the E2e just does not give good performance since it is only 1400mAH and the 3.7V lamps draw in excess of 2A. The stinger bulb is however noticeably yellower than the Pila lamp. I pretty much abandoned this mod and went for the bored out M2/C2 route. That gives the best performance in my opinion.

As far as battery talk, we're all referring to Lithium Ion cells made by Pila with the onboard cell protection or in my case, naked cells without any protection.

CM

P.S. Welcome to CPF.

pizzajoe62

Newly Enlightened
KAMUSTA johnny,
nope & if i can't get a modded E module w/ the 3.7v bulb, i don't think i'll ever will. batts can become very expensive in time.
BTW, are you in the country?
where did you get your surefire lights?

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pizzajoe,

I may still have that pill that CM and I were toying with. If you want it, I'll try to dig it up. You could experiment with some bi pin bulbs, if you're up for it.

I pretty much abandoned the whole thing for the same reason that CM did. The light was too yellow for my taste.

PM me if you want me to look for that pill.

pizzajoe62

Newly Enlightened
Chop & CM how about a STRION bulb?
a read a post but can't remember who posted it nor the thread.
it suggested that the strion bulb & pila batts worked pretty well.
i'll try to look for that post.