Can I get approved for a loan?

BatteryCharger

Flashlight Enthusiast
Right now I've got 2 boats and 4 vehicles. Most are currently being stored on a friends property, and neither of us want them there. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif There is no room for any of this stuff where I live, and I want to start restoring one of the cars.

Thus, I need a place to put them. I found an acre of land close by for really cheap, I'm thinking I could put up a cheap steel building and have a nice shop. Maybe I could even charge other people to store vehicles. (just a pipe dream at this point)

Anyway, here's the problem. I'm 20. The land is $40,000. I can easily afford the ~$250-300 a month payment. The problem is I make most of my money under the table. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif The credit people will only see about $1000 a month income. I have 100% perfect credit; however, I also have very little credit, with only 2 cards. I don't have any other monthly payments to make.

Do I even have a chance at getting a loan? Will my age and income be a big deal considering I have perfect credit?

Joel

Newly Enlightened
I don't think I would dive right in without testing the water first. I had a similar situation and decided to rent a place first to do my work. I had enough room for my stuff and after a while I was generating enough revenue to purchase a place of my own (the more money you can put towards the purchase price the better chance you have of getting the loan) At your present age and reported income and credit level I don't think you would qualify. Enjoy your youth and your craft, you'll have plenty of time to get in over your head with finances later /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif Just my humble 2 cents.

Best of luck,
Joel

BatteryCharger

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's not "over my head" in finances in the least. I could easily make a $1000 a month payment. It would cost me at least $300 a month to rent a 20x60 space to put all this crap...that seems kind of silly when I can get a whole acre for less. And that would be uncovered space...

turbodog

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
powernoodle said:
tax evaders = /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsdown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree.

And I certainly would not post something like that up here on a public forum.

Pay your taxes like the rest of us.

In effect you're taking money from the rest of us.

BatteryCharger

Flashlight Enthusiast
Until you have ANY sort of clue about my financial status I suggest you keep quiet about my taxes. Taxes are paid 100% in full... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Taxes are paid 100% in full

[/ QUOTE ]

Then how is it under the table if you're paying taxes on it? Perhaps this is confusion over the terminology:) Generally when someone says this they mean that they are not telling the government that they made that money and therefore not paying taxes on that income.

As far as getting the loan on a smallish income. I believe that the starting point is that they don't want you to be spending more than a third of your income on your debt payments. So if the payments on their loan (plus the maximum payments if you maxed out every credit card open in your name) is more than a third of whatever they see as your income then they will be unlikely to give it to you.

Also, how much you can make as a downpayment is also a big deal. It is my impression that if you can come up with 20% of the total in cash then they are unlikely to turn you down unless something else bad shows up. They will do a loan with nothing down, but you have to pay a whole lot more. You will also get screwed on the interest rate if you don't put down as much.

turbodog

Flashaholic
Don't forget insurance on the building and contents. Taxes on the property and building. Utilities, deposits, survey fees, title and deed fees, attorney's fees....

BatteryCharger

Flashlight Enthusiast
I get paid mostly in property, more specifically, my house and my truck. The payment would definately be less than a third of my income, and I can cancel the credit cards if need be. (the only reason I have them to begin with is to get a good credit rating) I would probably only be able to put about 10% down, but I would probably pay more like $500 a month regardless of what the final amount is...

BatteryCharger

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
turbodog said:
Don't forget insurance on the building and contents. Taxes on the property and building. Utilities, deposits, survey fees, title and deed fees, attorney's fees....

[/ QUOTE ]

Insurnace would be very little on a ~$15,000 steel building. Fireproof, earthquake proof, flood proof, and cheap to replace. Taxes on the land are only around $300 a year.

turbodog

Flashaholic
Your credit rating will take a hit if you apply and are turned down. However, you may check it yourself as many times as you want w/o an impact. If you want to play it really safe, get your own report and take it to a lender. Ask them for an opinion before they actually pull a report themselves. That way you have your own report anyway.

double_r76

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
BatteryCharger said:
I get paid mostly in property, more specifically, my house and my truck.

[/ QUOTE ]

If what you said earlier is true, that you pay 100% of your taxes, then you have tax documents showing the house and truck being received as reportable income. The documents that show you paid taxes on the "income" recieved in the form of the house and truck are sufficient to prove the same income to lenders.

If you are not paying taxes on the value of the house and truck, then you cannot prove it is income to the lenders. Furthermore, it is in effect tax evasion that can be investigated by the IRS. For tax purposes, "income" is not defined merely as traditional cash equivalent payments... it can also include property or benefits received.

-Randy

RH

Enlightened
Randy's right. At my company, we have life insurance as a benefit and we have to pay income tax on that as if it was pay.

Samoan

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
turbodog said:
Your credit rating will take a hit if you apply and are turned down. However, you may check it yourself as many times as you want w/o an impact. If you want to play it really safe, get your own report and take it to a lender. Ask them for an opinion before they actually pull a report themselves. That way you have your own report anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whoa there,

Where are you getting your information? Your first comment about a rejection causing a hit on your credit is just plain wrong. With the exception of a line on your bureau matching up with an inquiry, the decision made by the lender never makes it back to your bureau. If you are requesting a free copy of your bureau based on a decline you will generally need the adverse action letter from the lender. Too many inquiries, regardless of decision can cause your score to fall a little.

You are correct that checking it yourself does not count against you.

Asking a lender "for an opinion" on a bureau that they did not pull is a waste of time. You will get just as much information by simply knowing your FICO or Beacon. And this information is not much. Be carefull of a lender that is willing to give you too much information based on a bureau you brought in. Their story *will* change once they pull their own and you can bet it will change in their favor.

One main thing to keep in mind is that your score has two primary components. History and capacity. History is simple enough. Do you pay your bills and do you pay them on time? If it's yes then you will have a strong score here. Any dings on your credit? If so they mean less if they're over 24 months old. If they're over 60 months old many true risk based lenders ignore them altogether.

Capacity is basically a ratio of your revolving lines to your limits. High balances and low limits make for a low score. Low balances and high limits make for a high score. A lot of people make their biggest credit mistakes here. They get all proud of paying off all their credit cards and cancel them all. Say goodbye to 30% of your score. Pay 'em off and cut them up, but do NOT cancel them.

The remaining credit score it things like trade lines opened in the alst six months (fewer = better), history of oldest line (longer = better), and amount of secured vs unsecured (high secured = better).

As for the OP. Land loans are a PITA. Generally you are looking at bare minimum 10% down with rates in the 8-12% range. If you can get together 20% you can knock a percent or so off your rate. Keep in mind that land loans are not mortgages. With a mortgage if you can't put together 20% down you simply get hit with PMI. For a land loan if you can't get a decent down together, you don't get the loan. Also, as someone else mentioned, plan on another 2-5% for closing costs. If you're cutting it close on the down payment, you'll be paying these out of pocket at the close...or you can pay a higher rate in exchange for lower or no closing costs.

Finally, you mention that a big portion of your "income" is a truck and a place to live. This cuts both ways. On the one hand your debt to income ratio will be quite low as you are not paying for things that most people pay for. On the other hand don't even dream of counting it as income. Finally, for most people, if they lose their job their expenses stay flat for secured items, call it overhead. In your case you are "paid" in these things. If you lose your gig all of a sudden you have to start paying for these things. A loan officer *will* look at things like this and regardless of your score can cause you to be non-conforming and be declined. In addition, with only two lines(according to you) on your bureau you would be considered a "fragile A" (or A+ or 800+, whatever). You will generally get the rate of a high-risk borrower.

-F

turbodog

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Samoan said:
[ QUOTE ]
turbodog said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Whoa there,

Where are you getting your information? Your first comment about a rejection causing a hit on your credit is just plain wrong. With the exception of a line on your bureau matching up with an inquiry, the decision made by the lender never makes it back to your bureau. If you are requesting a free copy of your bureau based on a decline you will generally need the adverse action letter from the lender. Too many inquiries, regardless of decision can cause your score to fall a little.

You are correct that checking it yourself does not count against you.

Asking a lender "for an opinion" on a bureau that they did not pull is a waste of time. You will get just as much information by simply knowing your FICO or Beacon. And this information is not much. Be carefull of a lender that is willing to give you too much information based on a bureau you brought in. Their story *will* change once they pull their own and you can bet it will change in their favor.

One main thing to keep in mind is that your score has two primary components. History and capacity. History is simple enough. Do you pay your bills and do you pay them on time? If it's yes then you will have a strong score here. Any dings on your credit? If so they mean less if they're over 24 months old. If they're over 60 months old many true risk based lenders ignore them altogether.

Capacity is basically a ratio of your revolving lines to your limits. High balances and low limits make for a low score. Low balances and high limits make for a high score. A lot of people make their biggest credit mistakes here. They get all proud of paying off all their credit cards and cancel them all. Say goodbye to 30% of your score. Pay 'em off and cut them up, but do NOT cancel them.

The remaining credit score it things like trade lines opened in the alst six months (fewer = better), history of oldest line (longer = better), and amount of secured vs unsecured (high secured = better).

As for the OP. Land loans are a PITA. Generally you are looking at bare minimum 10% down with rates in the 8-12% range. If you can get together 20% you can knock a percent or so off your rate. Keep in mind that land loans are not mortgages. With a mortgage if you can't put together 20% down you simply get hit with PMI. For a land loan if you can't get a decent down together, you don't get the loan. Also, as someone else mentioned, plan on another 2-5% for closing costs. If you're cutting it close on the down payment, you'll be paying these out of pocket at the close...or you can pay a higher rate in exchange for lower or no closing costs.

Finally, you mention that a big portion of your "income" is a truck and a place to live. This cuts both ways. On the one hand your debt to income ratio will be quite low as you are not paying for things that most people pay for. On the other hand don't even dream of counting it as income. Finally, for most people, if they lose their job their expenses stay flat for secured items, call it overhead. In your case you are "paid" in these things. If you lose your gig all of a sudden you have to start paying for these things. A loan officer *will* look at things like this and regardless of your score can cause you to be non-conforming and be declined. In addition, with only two lines(according to you) on your bureau you would be considered a "fragile A" (or A+ or 800+, whatever). You will generally get the rate of a high-risk borrower.

-F

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, after looking at what I wrote again I can see that I meant one thing and wrote another. I meant to say that inquiries (other than your own) are generally bad. If the inquiry results in a loan (the land) a future lender will not have a problem with the inquiry. However, if you are turned down, then you have an inquiry and no good came of it. That's what I meant, not that a decline was in itself a negative hit.

Buy the land. Put up your car or something (flashlight collection) as collateral.