Streamlight Propolymer LED: Opinions wanted

BBL

Enlightened
I've just discovered the streamlight propolymer series.

It's hard to find information about these lights on the net.
The 3C model looks interesting - 10 5mm-leds and 3xC batteries should give much floodlight and runtime.
But i read about led failure because the leds are overdriven or run too hot. Does anyone have more information about this problem or this lights in general?

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
This model does NOT have those problems.

Streamlight did, at least, initially, overdrive the heck out of the LEDs in the 4AA7LED model. There were at least three, perhaps more, of resistored "down" models. Mine is the second, and has performed well.

I have the 3C light, and I feel it is about the ultimate in versatility, long run time, and bullet proof usefullness.

It's NOT an every day carry kind of light (because of its size), but it sits in my bug out bag, as the go to tool for bad times.

It also makes a (sometimes needed) pretty good head whacker, something that cannot be said of little bitty lights.

A superb light.

I've forgotten how long it runs on the 3 LEDs, must be forever, or close to it.

Aloft

Enlightened
I've got a ProPolymer 4AA LED, the one with 7 LEDs. Not sure if it's the "new" one that's resistered down or not (JohnK, if you know how to tell, please post or PM me. . . thanks).

This light is impressively bright. It also has a nice form factor, a nice switch with momentary on action, and an all around solid feel. Unfortunately, Streamlight does not recommend the use of Lithium batteries and says doing so will void the warranty. . . because I believe the light is unregulated, I use only alkalines, so it is not suitable for me in the glove box or earthquake kit. But if you use the light often around the house, I think you will be pleased with its output.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I have both the 4AA 7LED and the 3C 10LED. I actually have enough lights that I could probably go a week without ever changing a battery.

But I keep the 4AA hanging just outside my shower, and the 3C in a known location, just in case! Both are awesomely useable!

I'll tell you about another pretty cool Streamlight.

3C XP LED/Xenon. It has 3 5mm leds, and a tight throwy Xenon beam. It has a click on LED switch, and a seperate momentary Xenon switch. LEDs are perfect for many uses, with xenon brightness just a thumb away. And after the batteries won't light the Xenon (or if it blows) the LEds will work for 2 or 3 more hours (or longer if the Xenon blew). A pretty terrific light for about 45 bucks.

There is a review of it on one of the review sites. Someone will probably chime in, as I don't know where I saw it. It got a good review!

Krit

Enlightened
It took a long runtime but too big for me to EDC. It streamlight make polymer 3AA with Xenon+led. It will perfect from very light weight and easy carry in field trip.

Short Circuit

Newly Enlightened
I have one of the new 4AA Poly units with each LED restored at 22 ohms. It is way over driven 80 milliampers per led with new cells. I built a dummy cell and run in on 3 NIMH cells with a little less light but MUCH LESS HEAT. Over all 3 cells run best in it with out the leds burnning up from 400 percent overdrive that 4 cells cause.

Free

Enlightened
I have both, and use the 4AA more. In fact, I have two of the 4AA and just ordered two more.

I know that at least one of my 4AA's must be the overdriven one, since I purchased it when they first came out, but I have never had a LED fail.

The 3C has a nice clip on it that is handy for hanging from something for a flood light on what you are doing. It is rather big and heavy though.

One of the things that makes the 4AA so convenient, is the flat body shape. It fits nicely in a back pocket.

Wolfen

Flashlight Enthusiast
I gave a Proploy 7 LED to my huntin' buddy. One of the LEDs failed within a month. He never returned it, still bright as all get out.

capnal

Enlightened
I have all three. Three c, 4AA, and the 3 N cell (3 led). I like them all and I find they are really rugged, hard to beat lights. Drop em, kick em, beat them up. They can take it. Really bright, too. I have no bad things to say about them. I have often recommended the 4AA to people and even bought one for a co worker who was really impressed by it.

No buyer's remorse here. Great lights and a good bargain.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Consider the Nuwai 10 nichia led AT-100. It's a bit larger, but in a nicer aluminum body with a 2-stage switch (3/10 leds).

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Aloft said:
I've got a ProPolymer 4AA LED, the one with 7 LEDs. Not sure if it's the "new" one that's resistered down or not (JohnK, if you know how to tell, please post or PM me. . . thanks).

This light is impressively bright. It also has a nice form factor, a nice switch with momentary on action, and an all around solid feel. Unfortunately, Streamlight does not recommend the use of Lithium batteries and says doing so will void the warranty. . . because I believe the light is unregulated, I use only alkalines, so it is not suitable for me in the glove box or earthquake kit. But if you use the light often around the house, I think you will be pleased with its output.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been using lithium cells in my ProPolymer 4AA 7 LED for a long time now. The trick is to install a dummy cell plus THREE lithiums, NOT FOUR! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif Running on three lithium cells, the ProPoly is perhaps not quite as bright as with four fresh alkalines at first, but within maybe half an hour of use, the lithiums will be running brighter than alkalines, and will stay that way for quite a while. It's kind of a "poor man's regulator." /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

BTW, C. Crane used to stock some pretty nice dummy AA cells. The catch was that you had to order 10 of 'em... but they were only $1 each, so that wasn't a big deal. Unfortunately, I don't see them listed on their website anymore. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Anyway, even though I don't use my ProPoly as much these days, it holds a special place in my heart AND is hanging on the garage wall, ready and waiting for a call to service at any time. Loaded with 3AA lithiums, it's terrific! Consider: completely waterproof (not just weatherproof), virtually indestructible body, nice amount of even, floodsy light suitable for close inspection as well as outdoor use with dark-adapted eyes, tactical clickie tailswitch, long runtime in both hot and cold weather, no bulbs to blow, refillable with alkalines or even carbon zinc cells in an emergency, ergonomically easy to hold in the hand, and on the 3AA lithiums, the darned thing is so lightweight that it probably floats, too! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I probably forgot something in the above list! This is STILL a great light to have. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Oh yeah, lifetime warranty, too! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

All this fun for what, about $20? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif