Give a guy a leaf rack! Rake? :thinking:

Wylie

Enlightened
Hi Folks, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif
As some of you may know I have just made the move to small town America and I mean small town although just a little larger then Bliss Idaho with a population of 250,or so.
I've landed in the fine town of Shoshone Idaho with about five times that population and bought a house here.
Well some things just take some learning in these small towns and tonight was one of those learning experiences I should have seen coming really.
My boss had told me that it was legal to burn leaves once a year just because the town doesn't like to fill up the land fills with all the falling leaves this time of year. So I figured I was going to make the best of the one chance I had.
I have a pretty good-sized Maple out in the front yard and a nice little Alder in the backyard that are really shedding some leaves. I had a good blanket of leaves across the both lawns and with the weather coming that will drop snow on the leaves it was high time to get them off the lawn before they wrecked the grass with the snow falling on them.
So I break down and buy a leaf rack today and go to work just as soon as I get home from work. I ended up with a pile of leaves from the Maple about 20 feet long and four feet high in the front besides a little pile from a Bottle Brush next to garage and a nice 2 and a half foot pile of Alder leaves in the back about five foot long.
So it is legal to burn leaves here once a year and I think I am going to make the best of it as I figure I will only have one more rack job to do this year after the rest of the leaves fall from the trees.
I got my piles of leaves and I have my lighter fluid and lighter and start my burn. Well this is a lot of leaves and at first the smoke is lifting straight up into the air and I grab one of my little laser toys and start toying around with just how far the beam will shot through the smoke. Pretty soon as far as I can see there is smoke and the laser is cutting through the smoke really making a long line off into the horizon. I look the other way and all the way out to the main street there is smoke because it is not rising any more.
Well at this point I have about half the town just bellowing with smoke and there really isn't much I can do but laugh and hope the leaves burn out soon.
Next thing that happens I have about nine vehicles stop at my house and it is the local fire fighters telling me that there is a new Federal Law stating after dark burns are not legal any longer and I have the choice to either having a fire truck come over and put out the fire I have started or I can put it out. I think those fire trucks cost a lot of money per hour so I was off for the garden hose in a flash and had the fire out before the fire truck could put out the fire the guy at the county fair grounds had started with his grass cuttings. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif
That guy was another reason I figured the burning would be cool but moderation was not a thought as I wanted to get rid of all of these leaves without having to load them in the trash can and send them off to the land fill.
I think the saddest thing of the whole ordeal was that I think my house would have burned down by the time the fire fighters got to my house as the largest pile of leaves (20 foot long and 4 foot high) I had going was just about done by the time they showed up. It was only five foot long and one foot high by then and mostly ashes.
I'm really glad it was a controlled burn and only half the town got smoked out. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hahaha.gif
Well anyways give a guy a leaf rack and looks what happens. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif I hope you laugh as hard as I did. I didn't get a ticket (as of yet anyways) and the whole thing just seemed to be hilarious to me.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif
Wylie

raggie33

*the raggedier*
Re: Give a guy a leaf rack!

wylie man i thought i was in a small town there is 27,000 here this is small for me though i was born in clevleand oh.raised in south fla. i bets its a diff way of life there.o and btw cool story i always break rakes when iuse em some reason so anys tress i guesss

Wylie

Enlightened

I thought the fireman was going to break mine when he asked for it.
Yeah totally Raggie but I wouldn't have it any other way. People don't get away with much in small towns.

Wylie

Enlightened

I guess it depends on which way you look at it Bart. I figure the ashes are going to be a rich form of nitrogen and a good furtilizer as is.
It may be with the weather here that all I would be doing is freezing the leaves if I were to put them in some form of a container for the winter. The container would be needed as we do have a lot of winds here sometimes and the leaves would never stay in a pile.
I did take some leaves and put them in a little planter area I have next to the house so they will decompose if they stay there. I plan to throw the ashes (now wet) on top of the leaves in the planter as well.
I have no fence and a major garden would get picked over by kids as there is a school close by and I have seen some of them walking passed my house to school.
One of these days I will build a fence as I would like to get another wolf breed dog.

So I guess you garden?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

turbodog

Flashaholic

2 words: leaf blower (gas powered)

handy item

You could have used it to force feed air to the burning pile. This would have helped with the smoke, and they would have burned up really quickly.

They are also nice for drying your hair when you're in a hurry.